Gage hole ... what is this ?

pyntre

7 hours ago, jsgun said:

I think it's a left over from manufacturing. I think it's a register mark for the center of the floor pan, or possibly the whole body shell.

I'm going to second this.  It was probably used as an alignment location when the car was being built either for some other assembly or for the actually floor pan pieces themselves.  Is there a cross-member or some kind of bracing underneath that spot?  

At least that makes the most sense unless someone knows for sure what it is for.

I looked up "gage " in the dictionary , it's sort of old English for "gauge" and you fellas are right ,it's a term for measuring or estimating . So maybe a production constant for assembly ... funny it's in the assembly manual ! Thanks for the thoughts !!!! 

18 minutes ago, pyntre said:

I looked up "gage " in the dictionary , it's sort of old English for "gauge" and you fellas are right ,it's a term for measuring or estimating . So maybe a production constant for assembly ... funny it's in the assembly manual ! Thanks for the thoughts !!!! 

Showing the gage hole with a plug probably means that when do you see it, you're not to assume that its meant for use.

Ed