1925 Buick oil slinger

carmover

I only have a brass ring in the oil groove. Cut a strip of thin brass sheet form into a ring of the correct size and solder the ends. I probably have a piece of brass pipe of close diameter that I can part off a ring. Do you need the correct dimensions? I have the pump out while my engine is getting worked on.

Larry

• Like 1

Thanks Larry, I have mine off as well.I was looking at some brass at lowes and picked up a piece of brass sheet and was thinking of doing that.I don't know how big to make it ,the reservoir is about 1 1/2 inches deep as far as I can tell.I am hoping to get my engine back in the car by this weekend.I am on the downhill slide right now.If you could give me the demensions of your ring that would help.      Ron

Larry and Ron, 

Attached is a photo of my 25 Standard waterpump and my spare.  The spare has a broken mounting piece where it bolts to the timing cover.  

Both were out of the car when I purchased it.  Please send me a photo or drawing of the piece you are questioning, as I believe I am missing the piece Ron is missing.  What is shown here is what I have.

I was also wondering if anything goes under the big nut that is on the timing gear end.  It is pulled back on the lower pump in the photo of the 2 pumps.

On the timing gear end, there is also this loose ring just sitting in the housing on both pumps.   This is shown in the last 2 photos. 

I am also in need of a stainless shaft.  Any suggestions?  It took forever to keep from breaking parts, but I do have both pumps apart now.  

Hugh

5a73f99d02821_2017-10-0517_46_43.thumb.jpg.e05b3ebf6cc35570d5e9127c19a3cb63.jpg

5a73fa0aa7a6d_2017-10-2612_29_38.thumb.jpg.f9a000c9faa642914a72af74f8bec918.jpg

IMG_5631.thumb.JPG.e92360c8bebbbb208712c862c3ee099e.JPG

• Like 1

Hugh the one that I need is the one on the support pillow block before the start/generator.I just need to know the correct diameter of the ring.I have made a couple of them and they didn't go into the reservoir deep enough.I am looking for a larger brass sheet

and when I get Larry's diameter measurements I should be all set.

This is what I love about the forum.  I had no clue that I was missing this little ring that moves the oil to lubricate the water pump shaft bearing.  I would have burned up this bearing and then still not realize I was missing the part.  Thank you Ron and Larry for your help.  Any idea what the ring on the timing end does?  I guess a similar thing for the front bearing.

Hugh

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 9:50 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

I am also in need of a stainless shaft.  Any suggestions?  It took forever to keep from breaking parts, but I do have both pumps apart now.  

Hugh

I only have 3 spares one looks in rely good shape - I will send it to you Saturday Hue if u want it . -- Kyle 

20180203_012727[1].jpg

• Like 1

the singer ring has barley made a mark on the shaft it looks like it is .025 thick brass ring .170 wide and about 1.8 dia. next week I will draw it in CAD. at the machine shop with the whole shaft so I can post it and make a few new ones out of Stainless Steel I will need at least 2 one for a spare for the road wile touring  and one for my other 1925 .--kyle

20180203_011801[1].jpg

20180203_012035[1].jpg

20180203_011903[1].jpg

20180203_010458[1].jpg

20180203_010119[1].jpg

Kyle,     

Thanks for the offer on the water pump shaft.  Unfortunately the shaft is different for the Standard and the Master.  You have verified that there is an oil slinger ring on each end of the water pump shaft.  I thought that I had a loose part from something that wore out when I first pulled my pump apart.   Hugh

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 10:36 AM, carmover said:

Hugh the one that I need is the one on the support pillow block before the start/generator.I just need to know the correct diameter of the ring.I have made a couple of them and they didn't go into the reservoir deep enough.I am looking for a larger brass sheet

and when I get Larry's diameter measurements I should be all set.

this ring would only take 15 min. to make just tell me what size and I will send you one for the shipping coast .at my shop I stock up to 12`` bronze and brass and copper -- kyle

• Like 1

I am still looking for a brass sheet that is big enough to make the ring the correct size.The only one that Lowes carries is about the size of a nickle postcard.I made one last night and cut it diagonally to get the longest piece and it barely went around the

brass bushing.

Kyle, 

I'll take 2.  One for my waterpump and one for my spare pump.  You are supposed the have this same part in your engine too.  Although we have different water pump shafts, this part is common, so you should have one for each 1925 engine at your shop.  1926 and up will not have this ring since the starter and generator are separate units.  If the water pump is already on the motor, I would pull the cap on the bearing between the water  pump and the starter generator and see if the ring is in there.     Hugh

10 hours ago, carmover said:

Kyle, if you could make me one I would be most appreciative.That is the only thing holding my project up right now.The measurements according to Larry's post above are 2 1/8" outside ,1/8" wide, thickness is .032 .     Ron

PM me your address Ron I will Trade you A lottery ticket a quick pick for it ,OK .I will make them Monday on my lunch brake and a couple for Hue too.  --Kyle

20180203_011903[1].jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Kyle, 

I'll take 2.  One for my waterpump and one for my spare pump.  You are supposed the have this same part in your engine too.  Although we have different water pump shafts, this part is common, so you should have one for each 1925 engine at your shop.  1926 and up will not have this ring since the starter and generator are separate units.  If the water pump is already on the motor, I would pull the cap on the bearing between the water  pump and the starter generator and see if the ring is in there.     Hugh

Thanks I would not have thought of That  HUBERT_25-25. and let me know about a impeller I have not machined  them yet OS I know we could make it fit your pump-kyle

make a drawing and post it of your shaft so I can see the difference between the standard and master 1925 pumps . please 

Edited by sligermachine
more stuff (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is the scan from the master parts book showing applications. It shows linear locations but no diameters, key way or thread dimensions.

I was trying to get some stainless to turn mine up on my 10" X 36" SB lathe, but still would have to send out to get the keyways and pin locations done.

The spare Standard pump I have, someone cut the shaft several inches before and after the pump.

Larry

5a774bcb8b19b_img20180204_12552744(791x1024).thumb.jpg.3ed4d89ec876fed3d46d06f0221a9d14.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/3/2018 at 12:04 PM, carmover said:

Kyle, if you could make me one I would be most appreciative.That is the only thing holding my project up right now.The measurements according to Larry's post above are 2 1/8" outside ,1/8" wide, thickness is .032 .     Ron

Like this made them .003 wide then made tool to hold them wile I sand the burrs off . To hard to hold other wise I will sand all my skin off my finger tips -kyle

20180205_192200[1].jpg

20180205_193021[1].jpg

20180205_195402[1].jpg

20180205_195633[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, ROD W said:

Kyle,   If your going to cast some impellors  I would like to order one as   I need one for my 25 Master.

you have some dimensions   ?? I could make them faster out of solid with my cnc's mills  as far as  speed goes . made little ring protectors for shipping stoppers . And my favorite shelf in my shop with the slingers on them   -- kyle 

20180205_202034[1].jpg

20180205_200424[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sligermachine said:

what is  ''oshawa''  -- 

Oshawa is the town north east of Toronto that is the headquarters for GM of Canada.  It is where the McLaughlin Carriage Company was founded that eventually became GM of Canada.

About 35 miles or 65 Kilometers up the 401.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2018-02-06 at 10:21 PM, sligermachine said:

what is  ''oshawa''  -- 

A city in Ontario east of Toronto. That's where the McLaughlin Carriage company was...they initially contracted with Buick for chassis and drivelines building their own bodies and eventually were purchased and became GM of Canada.