Chrysler Straight Eight rebuilt for sale Imperial Airflow

Don in Missouri

$2900 OBO.  I can ship reasonably. 

Video of this motor running is posted at

; and 

IMG_0126.JPG

I pulled this motor out of a 1939 Chrysler Imperial in 2004. The engine number is C23-10174. It is a 324 cubic inch, eight cylinder engine. Similar Engines eights were used in Chrysler Airflow, Saratoga, New Yorker, and Crown Imperials from 1934 to 1950. We rebuilt the motor and put it in a WWII military 4x4 chassis.  That vehicle was never completed.   

It has been test fired, but has not had any serious time or miles on it since the overhaul in 2004. We just pulled the head and oil pan to make sure everything is still, bright shiny and new inside. Then we painted it silver instead of the green from the video taken last year.

Here is a list of what was done to rebuild this engine:

Degreased head and block

Magna-fluxed head and block to make sure there were no cracks

Resurfaced the head

Ground the crankshaft and new bearings for .030 over rod mains and .020 over main bearings.

Reconditioned all eight connecting rods

Bore-honed and replaced all eight wrist pin bushings

Bored all cylinders to 3.25" + 0.080" with .003 additional clearance.

Checked line bore

Replaced cam bushings

Installed 16 new valve guides

Installed 3 new valve seats

Ground 16 valve seats

Installed new water distribution tube

Resurfaced flywheel

Balanced complete rotating assembly

Rebuilt water pump

Rebuilt carburetor

new points, condensor, spark plug wires, spark plugs

It can be bolted to any transmission and flywheel housing as a common MOPAR six cylinder. That includes antique tractors like Wards, Superior, and others that used the Chrysler industrial motor. That's how I was able to put a Dodge truck flywheel housing on it. It retains the original flywheel. I have a new clutch and a good pressure plate that will fit a Dodge truck transmission. 

I rebuilt this motor to put in a WWII Dodge Power Wagon Chassis. I stretched the truck frame 9" to accommodate the longer eight. It was installed in the military chassis (that's why it was painted green in earlier photos) shortly after it was rebuilt in 2004. 
I test ran it in that chassis, but I never completed the vehicle or drove it.

In 2017, I decided I would not complete the project as planned and would sell the motor. Since it had sat so long, we removed the head and oil pan to make sure everything inside was still clean and new. It was! It was reassembled with new assembly lube and gaskets. Upon final assembly, I painted it silver, which I think was the original color for the Imperial engine. This engine is in excellent mechanical condition ad is ready to run. We did not do a cosmetic restoration. If you are building a concours restoration, you will want to do a better job at the final paint and detail work. This was built to be a dependable driver, the cosmetic details were not a focus of oru work.

More photos are posted at http://imageevent.com/shaggy/chrysler

Offers are welcome. I'll work with potential buyers on getting quotes for shipping, crating and delivering to a LTL common carrier or method of your choice. 

Edited by Don in Missouri (see edit history)

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
7 hours ago, beemergb said:

Hello , Is the  engine sold or if it  is , have you got any other parts for the CD 8 ? Hope so thank you 

@beemergb FWIW, this posting shows it sold back then:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chrysler-straight-eight-324-cu-in.1082653/

posting is for a model C23 with the 323ci 8, which would be distinct from a CD, if that matters to you.

• 3 weeks later...