Wire Wheel Splines - Graphite or Grease?

steamfins

I have a set of 25" Rudge-Whitworth wire wheels on my Mercer and I'm wondering what I should be using for lubricant on the hub splines so they don't seize on? I've heard some people say graphite powder, others have mentioned grease. I'd be interested to know what the correct product is.

Thanks,

Dan

I've always just used the grease I use for the rest of the car. I find I have to clean the old grease off the splines once a year or so, and replace. The old grease hardens and makes the wheels hard to remove. With once-a-year maintenance, no problem. 

Phil

Edited by pmhowe (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I have 19" Rudge Whitworth wire wheels on my Metallurgique and also use light grease on them however I thought I would share the instruction in the original manufacturer handbook with you.

LubricationGeneral.

The subject of lubrication is naturally of extreme importance and therefore this should be the owner's first thought both as regards the engine and the chassis generally. It is therefore advisable when first taking over the car to be sure to fill every oil plug with the gun which is provided with the car, and use the special Tecalemit grease or black gear oil (never use hard grease at these points). Next take off the four road wheels and put a little gear oil round the hubs, which will prevent rust and at the same time save the owner loss of time and bad words in the case of a puncture, and this operation we would suggest being done once a month.

I have used it on splined pulleys on the output shaft of belt drive motorcycles with great success.

These pulleys gave trouble with fretting/wear/rust on many makes until this product was used.

It is the correct product for the application.