1949 Buick Model 41

Clark1

Evening folks,

I am looking for some information on my 1949 Buick Model/Series 41. I understand they are somewhat rare and information may be limited. The story I got when we purchased this car was that it was left over of an 800 car special run for the military. Supposedly, 600 were purchased by the military and the remaining 200 were left sell to the general public. A lady in Wisconsin that is restoring one says hers does not have the little defroster/radiators under the rear sliding side glass on each side of the back seat. Is someone feeding me a line or are these cars a possibility?

• 2 weeks later...

Pete:  Most of the Buicks had sliding quarter windows on the sedan from '39 up on the 40-60-90 models until 1950.  The 1950 Special was introduced in June 1949,  The old Series 41-46 were continued with a different serial tag from the 1948 model from December 48 thru May 49.  Something similar seems to be going on in 2018.  I just bought a 2017 LaCrosse, as no dealer had a 2018.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 6:23 PM, Clark1 said:

Evening folks,

I am looking for some information on my 1949 Buick Model/Series 41. I understand they are somewhat rare and information may be limited. The story I got when we purchased this car was that it was left over of an 800 car special run for the military. Supposedly, 600 were purchased by the military and the remaining 200 were left sell to the general public. A lady in Wisconsin that is restoring one says hers does not have the little defroster/radiators under the rear sliding side glass on each side of the back seat. Is someone feeding me a line or are these cars a possibility?

I'm the "lady in Wisconsin". There is nothing under the rear glass. This photo was taken during disassembly. There are drain tubes that are routed through the quarter, in front of the wheel well and down through the frame...but no defrost of any kind.

as an aside, I have an album of over 1200 photos of disassembly and engine building if anyone needs photos of this make and model. Adding more photos weekly as we work on the body panels

20170627_095331.jpg