1958 Buick Spindle threads

dei

Anyone run into this?

I took the wheel nut off my 1958 Limited parts car because I have misplaced the wheel (meant Spindle) nut on my '58 Limited car being restored. Tried to put the wheel (Spindle) nut on it and feels like the threads on the spindle are cross threading. 

Gave the nut to my son who works at a mould making company to see if the tool shop had a die I could borrow and came back saying they identified it as a metric fine thread. M20 x 1.5

Called a machine supplier here and they have a die that size and in stock but at 55.00 plus 13% thought I'd ask here first.

I can't believe a car made in the 50's used a metric thread on the front spindles...

Would anyone know the specs on these wheel (Spindle) nuts and spindle threads?

Edited by dei
Correcting Part Names (see edit history)

Frankly John I was more careful doing the brakes on the Special and kept things in marked boxes for each wheel so not sure.

Luckily I have the Limited parts car so will take the same side wheel nut off it and see.

I just have to clear away 4 inches of fresh snow to get at it!   :P

I would think it odd if left hand threds were used on one model. Also on one axle  position.  So thinking about the Special, do you remember left hand threds on the drivers side front and rear axles? 

If not what may have happened was some one replacing a broken stud with the left hand thread thinking it was the way to do the job. 

I know my '56 does not have left hand lug studs on the drivers side, and would think it odd that the Division went with that theory afterwards. But anything is possible.  And if it was mine I'd prefer to have both cars set up the same. 

As always John thanks for your thoughts on this.

Just to be clear though, It isn't the wheel "bolts" if I understand your post that are my issue, it is the actual "wheel nut" holding the bearings and left front brake drum on that is my problem. 

The wheel nut I took off the parts car came off the "passenger side" thinking they would be the same and trying to put it on the "drivers side" of the good Limited. 

I think Oldtank is telling me the threads on the spindles are left hand on one side hence will take the drivers side off the parts car (when it warms up a bit) to see if it matches the spindle threads.

Seems a simple fix if that is what is my problem, trying to mix the sides...

Just a High School auto shop backyard mechanic at work. :lol:

(never too old to learn and thanks OldTank for the Auto 101 lesson) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

My mistake.  I thought you were talking the wheel studs.  Dump my comments!

.????  The 63 Riviera has left hand wheel studs on the left side of the car.  I don't know about other 63 models, but Buick did go to right hand threads on all four corners in 1964.  When tney may have started, someone else may know.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Smartin said:

I don't recall the 58 spindles having any left handed nuts. 

I can't truly recall that either Adam.

Going to dig into it later this week and take the other "Spindle Nut" off the parts car if not raining tomorrow and see...

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the threads on the spindle on the good Limited...?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd come back and confirm what Oldtank stated by part numbers that YES the drivers side Wheel Nut is a left hand thread! Thanks for all the input guys. :)

IMG_2646.thumb.JPG.edfafb13811d0f2ded80079b72374433.JPG

It's good to have a parts car around too...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1