Or ash if you prefer. We have been steam bending and shaping bows for 35+ years, just not advertising our service much. Contact us if you need a bow or bows. Our bows are steam bent as original and completely shaped ready for varnish and installation. Price generally runs $400-$500 plus shipping depending on complexity of shaping. Satisfaction guaranteed. We have patterns for some bows, especially Packard. PennDutchRestoration.com.

We also make new irons in polished stainless but of course we need a pattern to work from. We've made many many sets of Phaeton and Touring irons in stainless, mostly for Packards. Time consuming but they will last a lifetime. Unlike chrome they won't peel the first time you lower the top.

3 hours ago, JFranklin said:

I need bows, but first I need the proper irons.

It obviously depends on what kind of irons you need.  The flat style can be made as Restorer32 can do.  The socket style can be made by John's Enterprises in Auburn, California, he has patterns for most pre-1930 cars.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:49 PM, trimacar said:

It obviously depends on what kind of irons you need.  The flat style can be made as Restorer32 can do.  The socket style can be made by John's Enterprises in Auburn, California, he has patterns for most pre-1930 cars.

Correct, we do not make the socket style irons.

How wide of a bow can you bend in oak, the original bow for my car is about 3.5 inches wide and tapers into the socket.  

We can bend up to at least 4"  wide and 2 1/2" thick. We shape them as original so they are ready for varnish and installation when you receive them..

How much does a 5 bow set , and how do i take measurements for tje bow and sockets so they fot correctly. And do you need the top irons for fitting. Thanks

Bows run $400-$500 each depending on size and complexity. We would need either your original bows or good measurements. Our bows are steam bent as original and all the shaping and sanding is done so they are ready for varnish and installation when you receive them. We don't necessarily need the top irons but having them makes the job a bit easier. What car are we talking about? 

Each. It takes time to shape them once they are bent. If two or more of the bows are the same it might be a bit cheaper. I am surprised a bow on your car would be as much as 3.5" wide. 

About ready to ship 4 bows for a '32 Chrysler 4 Door Conv.

If you are looking to refinish the bows and mount them in yours irons here is an alternative.  I just picked up the bows for my 1923 MOON from an Amish carriage maker.  I received three regular bows and one four inch wide bow.  I have to do all the shaping and refinishing.  The cost was $187 which included tax.  The company is Community Carriage & Leather, 937-386-3368, Peebles OH.  Real nice to work with and they can do everything from top to interior.

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

• Like 1

Are you able to specify the exact width across the ends? Can they duplicate a different radius bend or are they universal?  How thick can they bend. Many rear bows are 2-2 1/2" thick.

made to order.  Took three months as they do the Amish buggy repair in this community.  They were doing a 22 Stude while we were there picking up the bows.  You can not be in a hurry as they are usually busy.  They also have a great bakery in Millers if you go

Normally I would agree with you @JFranklin but this section is for contributing members to advertise their business. I see it as poor taste for someone to interrupt with the intent to promote a different company. Remember this section is the commercial advertising section not the open discussion section. If I am wrong then my apologies to @Restorer32 for further interrupting his thread.

2 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

Normally I would agree with you @JFranklin but this section is for contributing members to advertise their business. I see it as poor taste for someone to interrupt with the intent to promote a different company. Remember this section is the commercial advertising section not the open discussion section. If I am wrong then my apologies to @Restorer32 for further interrupting his thread.

Now I see that, I missed it and you are correct. Maybe he didn't notice the heading either.

• Like 1

No problem. If those bows work for you and you can shape them I say go for it.  Early bows are easy to shape. As you get into the later 1920's and 1930's the bows get heavier and more complex. It takes much more time to shape them than it does to bend them.  Generally on a 4 bow top all 4 are different in size and shape meaning each one has to be bent separately.