Headlight wiring upgrade.

Ronnie

I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading my headlight wiring for some time. I'm still in no hurry to do it but winter would be the best time to do it. Even though I don't drive much at night I still would like to take the load off the headlight switch.

Although installing an after market harness is one way to do it, I'm thinking about installing a relay near the fuse box as GM did on later '90 models to take the load off the headlight switch.

The wiring that powers the headlights is also marginal on the Reatta. To remedy that I'm thinking about running new wires in parallel with the stock wires between the hi/lo beam relay and the headlights, using heavy duty plugs at the headlights. I think the new wiring could be hidden so it wouldn't be seen under the hood.

I've had the relays and plugs I need for some time. All I need is the two conductor wire and I probably already have on hand. What do you see as the pros and cons of doing this versus using the aftermarket harness that requires mounting two extra relays under the hood?

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What do you see as the pros and cons of doing this versus using the aftermarket harness that requires mounting two extra relays under the hood?

I really like your choice of end receptacle over the ones in THIS kit, however- the kit eliminates searching for wiring, terminals, heat shrink, split convoluted loom, etc. Your 45* plugs will fit way easier, without a worry of interference or shorts. 

I think a mixture of the two kits is nice. There's plenty of room for the two relays. I've read the included relays can be troublesome- so have extras on hand.

Just my opinion , but the harness makes a lot of sense to me. It does away with the doubled up wiring while eliminating the need to add the factory relay. It's a good package and your headlights will be brighter, no matter what bulb being used.

• Like 1

Ronnie I used the Wire Kit and Relays, but I mounted the relays on the drivers side underhood Fusebox cover.  Was thinking someday of placing them under the cover. I did not want them on the strut tower, that side is crowded already. All I had to extend. was the battery wire.

• Like 1

Up until a few years ago, while my main hobby was restoring 60's muscle cars, I designed and mfd. ( on a small scale ) a retrofit wiring system for headlights, etc. My experiment started when I measured the delivered voltage to the headlights. Some were in the 9 volt range.  Performance was like night and day ( pun ). I hung onto a few of these just in case. Powered them right off the alternator . Used the stock switch to kick the relays. No load to speak of on the switch. The actual wiring harnesses to each lamp was upgraded by me using marine quality wire and terminals. Never considered doing it to the Reatta, but see no reason to believe this would not be an easy upgrade.

IMAG0022.JPG

IMAG0037.JPG

IMAG0021.JPG

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks for the replies. I think the harness with two relays is the best way to go. I was just thinking outside the box. I was thinking about how I could keep it a little closer to stock and do it the way GM did it with the later models. :)

Thanks for the replies. I think the harness with two relays is the best way to go. I was just thinking outside the box. I was thinking about how I could keep it a little closer to stock and do it the way GM did it with the later models. :)

Ronnie, a guy with a spoiler on the trunk and non-stock wheels and you have concerns about hidden wiring.:ph34r: This is meant in jest. GM saved the headlight switch with the relay addition but did essentially nothing to provide full voltage to the headlights. More than one way to accomplish this but please do it, your car will be happy you did.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Ronnie, a guy with a spoiler on the trunk and non-stock wheels and you have concerns about hidden wiring.:ph34r: This is meant in jest. GM saved the headlight switch with the relay addition but did essentially nothing to provide full voltage to the headlights. More than one way to accomplish this but please do it, your car will be happy you did.

You're right. I need to do it. I hope to get it done before spring. I was throwing this out to see what you guys thought about it.  I had a harness for a while and didn't get around to using it so I let Dave have it to use on one of his cars.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

You're right. I need to do it. I hope to get it done before spring. I was throwing this out to see what you guys thought about it.  I had a harness for a while and didn't get around to using it so I let Dave have it to use on one of his cars.

ive had the harness for a while too but installing it around moving headlights scares me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

ive had the harness for a while too but installing it around moving headlights scares me.

It's virtually PnP. (if you have the harness I'm referring to) Personally- I am not attaching directly to the battery, via some ugly connector. The correct junction boxes are easily accessible.

DCP_4422.jpg.d3ceab46df993c51615e4ea594e054ff.jpgDCP_4419.jpg.74feb1edfe1c739004a05f45e14d055d.jpg