Sign in to follow this  
Mssr. Bwatoe

Paint / Orig colors

I painted my car in lincoln dove grey, as per factory build card,  but dove grey of 1940, is not dove grey of '79..
I have seen variety of shades for Capri Blue, and Darian blue or such....I always look at new current model

cars for a neat shade for possible lincoln colors--Had a friend stop by with a 17 chrysler pacifica , looked 

pretty close to dove grey, but not..as compared to mine, my grey has bluish tones  

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

What  a mystery painting an Antique car is today.  Back in the late 50's when I got into this hobby, we all shot lacquer, lacquer primer

sand, wipe down, lets go---shoot!  And it really looked like it!!! Many  '49-'51 "shoebox" Fords and Mercs never got pass the

primer stage. 

Now that we are serious about these cars , things have really changed. Paint now is "liquid Gold" . I have paid more for just

the paint than I have for my early cars. Types of paint are changing fast--- water base now. I have found the best way to match

an original color is find an un-exposed area- perhaps under gas fill cap lid, inside glove box door and take to good  automotive

paint supplier and have him match it.  Early paint #'s can't always be crossed referenced. I can almost say without an exception

all new cars painted today have a metallic pigment added in---makes it POP!!!! I have been to V8 Ford hows where there were

3 Fords from the 30's painted "Washington Blue"------all a different shade. I'am painting my '48 LC Coupe  a dark,dark, blue, so

dark it will look black in the wrong light.They did not offer(according to my research ) a dark blue for '48 LCs. For Ford cars , a

"Barcelona Blue" was offered, I have to check this out. If not , drive around and pick out a modern color and see if I can have it

mixed in Acrylic enamal w/ hardner. No clear coats, no trick paint, only have to satisfy me------long winded!

• Like 1

Regal Blue is a darker blue than Barcelona Blue and it is a Lincoln color. The chips look almost black, but when the cars were new, they were definitely blue. Both colors are darker than Washington Blue. Your best bet is to go to Autocolor Library and ask Jimmy "Chips" to mix a half pint of the Regal Blue color. Spray a sample about 12" square and take it to the local paint supplier and have him color match it. If it is too light add a little black to darken it. Be Careful about adding the black toner as it can turn the blue muddy.

I know that the toners used to make Barcelona Blue are no longer available, so I assume that Regal Blue toners would be obsolete also, that is why you have to use Jimmy "Chips" to get something close. Quite a few toners were abandoned in the past couple of years. I tried to have my Lincoln Colonial Blue matched and the toners for it are not available. The paint dealer used his camera to match the paint, it was close, but different enough that you could notice it at 20 ft. I took the quart to a body shop that still uses solvent based paints and used some of his toners to get a closer match.

Good luck and make your decision soon as Acrylic Enamel will be going away soon. Everything is going to water base. It requires different equipment and techniques. If I was doing a car today, that is what I would use, so I could touch it up later. Make sure that the dealer gives you the formula that he used to mix the paint. It will be useful if you need to repair a panel.