philipj

Overdrive Information 38 Buick...

I have driven my Lloyd Young overdrive unit with no problems or noises for slightly over 4000 miles so far in our 38 Buick Special. I don't care about the speedometer so its ok with me if its 

not correct when in overdrive. Actually when we are on the freeway going along with the traffic the speedometer reads between 40 and 45 mph. This is the speed the motor thinks the car is running along at. I 

would have sold our car if we didn't install the overdrive. 4000 miles mostly around here shows we use it regularly. I installed the whole thing in my driveway outside not in a garage. It was not hard and Loyd 

was easily available by phone if I had a question. I guess the shop he worked with is still doing the overdrive conversions. I would recommend this simple conversion to anyone owning these old Buicks.

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:49 AM, Matt Harwood said:

This is a Gear Vendors torque tube installation:

is it a planetary gear set up? --kyle

17 hours ago, sligermachine said:

is it a planetary gear set up? --kyle

Yes, I think with a freewheeling unit on the back.

There must also be a modification so one can go in reverse. As normally fitted, one must pull out the knob to lock the OD out (or more particularly, the freewheeling unit).

On 4/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, Bloo said:

All 3 of these axles I tore down were working, but very close to catastrophic failure. 3 axles later I still don't have enough good parts to build my third member. I have a NORS ring and pinion (3.82 to replace 4.89) and NORS bearings (these old weird bearings are out of production and really expensive). I still do not have a good differential case to rivet my new ring gear to. If anyone has 35-36 Pontiac or 35-36 Chevrolet Master or 35-39 Chevrolet 1/2 ton rear axle parts laying around, feel free to PM me.

I would like to study the pic. --kyle 

• Like 1

I would like some one to send me a over drive torque tube gear box so me and my sons and wife can look it over .broken one would be grate .My wife runs a suspension company. MY Son is a mechanical engineer. I just like making things fly !!! -kyle    

• Like 1

3:82 gears may be to high geared for overdrive. It may bog the engine depending on your hilly road conditions, tire diameter, and tranny. My 35 Chevy standard had and only came with a 4:11 ring and pinion set. That calculated me at around a 3:00 in third with the overdrive engaged. I have a 1939 - 3:72 rear out of a Chevy Master 85 I was going to use in my car but then I would have to loose my mechanical brakes, and 5 bolt lug pattern. (Yes, I like my mechanical brakes).

No reverse option with overdrive. Lloyds set up is safest way in my opinion. I set my microswitch in front of the clutch pedal so I do not have to push the pedal down to the floor to hit the switch. I simply tap the clutch and she shuts off the electric to my OD. I use my OD in third only to reduce the cruising speed rpm's in my 83 year old motor.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 35Joe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sligermachine,   Maybe - just maybe, the guy who took over for Lloyd and his over drive stuff might be able to find a ‘bad’ case.  If so, I would think very cheep and freight would be the biggest cost.   Your as bad as I am..  Your on one end of the country and I’m on the other.  I’ve got an OD  on an original 4.44 rear.  This works out very nice in top gear.   About 3.11 final..   Has any one considered changing to a newer torque tube rear with a reasonable ratio.   It can not that dificult.   Hot Rodders do it.   Ya I know they have open drive lines’s but the concept it there.  

9 hours ago, sligermachine said:

I would like to study the pic. --kyle 

Hi Kyle, Which pic do you want to see? I'll do my best.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, 35Joe said:

3:82 gears may be to high geared for overdrive. It may bog the engine depending on your hilly road conditions, tire diameter, and tranny. My 35 Chevy standard had and only came with a 4:11 ring and pinion set. That calculated me at around a 3:00 in third with the overdrive engaged. I have a 1939 - 3:72 rear out of a Chevy Master 85 I was going to use in my car but then I would have to loose my mechanical brakes, and 5 bolt lug pattern. (Yes, I like my mechanical brakes).

No reverse option with overdrive. Lloyds set up is safest way in my opinion. I set my microswitch in front of the clutch pedal so I do not have to push the pedal down to the floor to hit the switch. I simply tap the clutch and she shuts off the electric to my OD. I use my OD in third only to reduce the cruising speed rpm's in my 83 year old motor.

I was the one talking about 3.82. I never intended to put overdrive in front of that, rather it was an alternative. That is the highest ratio available for my axle (35-36 Pontiac, Chevy Master, 35-39 Chevy 1/2t). I am currently stuck with 4.89, and it feels way too slow even in town. I was following Las Vegas Dave's thread when he added overdrive to his 38 Buick Special. If I had opted for overdrive at that time, it would have been done while  Lloyd was still alive.

Lloyd had a guy who was doing the over drives for him.   Glen is still doing them using Lloyds parts.  So, you can still get it done today.   If you need a phone number ask.   Lloyds phone number, as  listed in Hemmings, was changed to Glen’s number.  

Bloo,  If you want to have over drive,  Lloyd machinist is still doing them.    I will be doing another one this fall.   Your rear ratio definitely calls for the over drive.

For the moment I am still looking for a differential case to finish up this 3.82. Yes, overdrive would have been a better solution.

The family (?) is having an auction in August.   I hope Glen gets all the over drive parts Lloyd accumulated over the years.  Also all the special adapters Lloyd had made up.  Glen is Lloyds machinist who is doing the over drives now..  Glen was one of the two machinists who did mine back in 2014.   I’m working on getting another done  around September-ish.   Glen does good work.  

Lloyd had three barn behind his house.   So that would be a logical place.   Then again, i had a good relation with him and those cars are really nice but he is located in the hinterland.  The first time findind his house was fun.   But, if it there, sogns should get people to the right place.   Moving his cars to a better place would be a bit of work.  Most of his collection is in the twenties.   He had an allelectric car from the teen’s.   Very good condition.

Hi, Could some one give me an e-mail address or phone number for the person who does Lloyds overdriv es I want to get or for my 35 Buick in the near future. Thanks, Greg.

Greg,  His name is Glen.  His phone number is  614-571-4908.     Address is  :  517  E. Mound  St.,  Circleville,  Oh.  43113.     I hope to another  38 Buick this fall.   He does good work.