1938 Plymouth shock absorbers

Alan Franklin

Andy Bernbaum has them

http://www.oldmoparts.com/parts-springs.aspx

It may be easier to buy them from your local parts store if they can find the part number. See if you can find a dusty old parts store with an old gray haired or bald headed parts man. The shiny new store on the main street, with the kid behind the counter with purple hair and a snot ring probably won't be much use.

You could also try the web site of Monroe, Gabriel or your favorite shock absorber company.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I looked at the RockAuto site, they don't list them. It is quite possible the shocks are still made and stocked by major shock absorber companies. Maybe the same shocks are used on other, newer cars. The trick is to find the part number. It might help to shoot an Email to the shock absorber manufacturer.

My 1937 Dodge 1/2 ton truck tube shocks were purchased from Roberts Motot Parts, another supplier of old MoPar parts.  They might have shocks for the Plymouth.  Or Kanter Auto parts, they advertise parts for all types of cars.

5 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Did the 1938 come with tubular shocks?

I'd have to confirm, but I believe Plymouth started using "airplane style" (i.e. tubular) shocks in 1936. I am very sure they were using them by 1937 as I've seen both the promo material and 1937 Plymouths to confirm.

44 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I'd have to confirm, but I believe Plymouth started using "airplane style" (i.e. tubular) shocks in 1936. I am very sure they were using them by 1937 as I've seen both the promo material and 1937 Plymouths to confirm.

44 minutes ago, ply33 said:

My 36 Plymouth does not have tubular shocks, but I know 37 does.

Alan,

I purchased all four shocks for my '38 Plymouth last year from Andy Bernbaum (617-244-1118 or www.oldmoparts.com). Quick, easy and best price. I paid $45 per shock.

Front shock part number R 200, Rear shock part number R 220.

Good Luck,

Greg