Early Trico Wiper Motor?

32Pontiac6

This Trico electric wiper motor was on my 1930 Pontiac Custom Sedan.  I am sure it is not original.  However, it looks pretty early.  Was this an accessory that was available in the 30's, 40's?  I would appreciate any information anybody might have on this.  Also, if anybody knows who might repair this wiper.  The wiper portion of the unit is Trico but the motor has a cover that is labeled Dyneto.

WiperMotor-5.jpg

WiperMotor-6.jpg

WiperMotor-4.jpg

WiperMotor-2.jpg

WiperMotor-3.jpg

WiperMotor-1.jpg

According to my 1934 parts book 9.780 Motor Assembly, Windshield cleaner for P6/30 LHD and P6/31 RHD and Oakland 8/30 LHD are part number  492737 which is GM's number for a Trico vacuum motor.

If I ever saw an electric one like you have I would buy it in a minute.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I am sure it is a later replacement.  Looking at the wiring, though, it seems to be an old addition.  It has cloth wiring.  If you get a chance, could you send me a picture of the vacuum one on Tinindian.  I think this one mounted directly to the original mount for the vacuum one but I am not positive.  It is really a fairly simple device and wonder if it could possibly be a mid to late 30's 3rd party type accessory.  I have always been of the mind that cars up until the 50's had vacuum motors.  But this thing is clearly earlier than that.  I will love it if I get it fixed.  Having electric wipers is a first class setup.  Let's hope somebody on the site here knows more than we do about it.

At least one model of the 1930-31 Ford Model A used the same motor body (Trico KCX9) as the 30-31 Pontiac but the top is opposite as can be seen in photo 2, 3 and 4.  The motor on the left is for a Pontiac and the motor on the right is for a Ford.  Photo 1 shows the mounting under the visor on Tinindian.  Directly below the motor, on the inside of the windshield is a flat lever that moves back and forth to turn the wiper on and off.  It is a funny lever that goes up and over the windshield and down on the outside of the glass to operate the lever on the window regulator board that operates the wiper motor.  You would also need the mounting base as it has the little crank shaped lever that goes through the windshield header.  Motors are not impossible to find but mounting bases are few and far between.  If you don't have this lever it might be easier just to stick with an electric motor.  Not so good for judging but better for wiping on long hills.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by Guest
More info and pictures (see edit history)

Tinindian-  You may have solved a problem for me.  The first photo shows how the electric motor was mounted.  It appears they just put another bracket over the original mounting plate so that if I want to go back to the vacuum one I can.  The original plate looks to be unmolested behind the newer mount.  I got lots of pieces with the car.  I do have what appears to be the original vacuum motor.  But the mystery solved is the last photo.  I did not know what that piece was for as I was pawing through the box of spare parts.  It looks to be the switch that mounts on the header board that controls the vacuum wiper.  I agree with you that the electric one should be a priority.  While the car shows well, the person who restored it took a little artistic liberty with some items and points would be taken off anyway.  If the motor turns out to be prewar I don't feel bad running it on the car even though I am a stickler for authenticity.  I have never seen one like this and developing the history of it will be a good conversation starter with those who notice it.

IMG_9547.JPG

Wiper-1.jpg

Wiper-2.jpg

Wiper-5.jpg

Must be an 8 cylinder Oakland.  According to my 1934 parts book 9.780 Motor Assembly, Windshield cleaner for P6/30 LHD and P6/31 RHD and Oakland 8/30 LHD are part number  492737 which is GM's number for a Trico vacuum motor.

The wiper motor is made by Owens Dyneto, in forty years of playing with old cars Inhave never seen or heard of such an item. Owens made starters, Generators, and cut outs for several brands of cars in the 30’s, I think they also made parts for aircraft. Interesting combination of Trico and Owens. Ed