Trim removal help part 2

64R

Ok before I destroy my car entirely can I get confirmation that the only way to remove this trim is to gut half my interior? I'll run into traffic if I tear it all apart and still can't access the screws :unsure:

Remove rear seat so you can remove the arm rest

Remove arm rest

Remove door panel

Remove glass to access the screws that are an inch lower

After all that there will be access holes through the steel to the screws????

DSC07684.JPG

I have never worked on a 1964 Riviera, but I would guess that is exactly the procedure. There is no other way around it. Do you have a FACTORY shop manual? You might scroll down to the Buick section of this forum and ask there.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The first gen Riviera had a lot of tricks with trim attachment because they actually designed things to avoid exposed screws, etc. Although you can see that in many GM cars of the day. I never removed the trim you are referring to but in other areas I found everything I needed in the factory service manual.

I've not worked on a Riv, but other GMs of that vintage use the same procedure.  Remove the back seat and side panels.  If you are lucky, you can remove the bottom stop bracket for the glass and lower the window enough to access the trim fasteners.  If not, then the glass needs to come out.

If they are like the other GM cars which there is no reason to doubt, (still Fisher Body) After you remove the inner door panel if you look along the moulding probably buried in the whisker strip moulding fuzzies there will be 2 or 3 #8 flat head 1/4" phillips self tapping screws, most likely 2 screws

2 minutes ago, John348 said:

If they are like the other GM cars which there is no reason to doubt, (still Fisher Body) After you remove the inner door panel if you look along the moulding probably buried in the whisker strip moulding fuzzies there will be 2 or 3 #8 flat head 1/4" phillips self tapping screws, most likely 2 screws

I'll add that on later 60s GMs, I've also seen these retained with spring clips that fit into slots at the top of the opening, and a retaining screw on each end.

5 hours ago, keiser31 said:

You might scroll down to the Buick section of this forum and ask there.

That's excellent advice.  Mr. 64R, pose your same question

in the category "Buick Riviera--Riviera Owners' Association"

and you'll tap into the specific knowledge of plenty of 

Riviera owners.