new old guy here

papa

I have a 1921 Ford T Touring car and frequent model T sites. I am here because I'm thinking about buying a Franklin. It's a 1932 four door sedan. I'm a bit puzzled because the car has a side-mounted spare only on the driver's side. Might it have come that way from the factory? There is no sign of a spare tire well having been filled in the past. Maybe the passenger's side fender has been replaced? Awaiting any response. Thanks.

Since Franklins could for the most part be ordered any way you wanted, I would assume this is the way the original owner wished. Also the 7 passenger sedan and limousine came with a trunk rack as standard in the back which would create the need for a side mounted spare. The single side mount would be standard and the second one would be optional at extra cost. Also the spare mount and wheel was included with the car whether it was mounted on the side or rear, but the tire and tube was extra cost. The tire size was 650X19 6ply.

If your not already a member of the Franklin Club, I would suggest you do so. It will open up a large amount of information to you including parts manuals and owners manuals plus much more.  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot hook. I haven't bought the car yet, but I hope to very soon. I will try to post a pic or two of the car. Meantime, what should I look for, besides the obvious before purchasing? The wood has been replaced, body work mostly done, engine ran until intake/exhaust manifolds were removed to clean and paint the engine, mileage showing 72,877. I'm told all five wood spoke wheels are good. What  special areas on a Franklin should I check? Thanks again.

00L0L_fD0cdPSU7C1_600x450.jpg00V0V_ilO7WvkBk1Q_600x450.jpg

_a37ebc4a1346.wade1

_a37ebc4a1346.wade1

Edited by papa (see edit history)

Papa, There is a super 1932 Airman  on Ebay now RESTORED that if you got this Franklin for free you couldn't fix for what he will sell his car for. I saw some detailed pictures of the woodwork and I don't think it was replaced properly. Ive also been told this car isn't complete. Proper paint , interior and chrome will cost you a minimum of  $35,000.