ROD W

Another 1918 E49

Yes they are incredibly rare and intact snubbers (?US term) or shock absorbers (UK term), I'll take some more pictures of them. Even the canvas straps are in unworn condition which is a testament to the probable low mileage of this car.

Nick,

I have a set of them on my 1922 Model 48.  They were made by a company called Gabriel, hence the term Gabriel Snubbers.  Once in a while a person will see some listed on eBay and they generally bring a good price.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

There are the mounting holes on the front frame of my 1925-45. There were 2 partials in the stuff that came with my car.

Someone was asking for information about snubbers on a forum recently, but I can't recall which one...

(small interval here)

Here it is:

We also call the defensive parts on front and rear bumpers. Fenders are used on boats to reduce the crunching on the wharf or jetty. 

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

In USA the fender is the mud guard around wheels.

Yep, that is why we call them mud guards!

3 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Yep, that is why we call them mud guards!

Here in America we are idiots. We say fender instead of mud guard, and we say cheese when they take out picture, instead of cheers. But we made Buicks so we can't be all bad.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

and we say cheese when they take out picture

We are often a bit more base: "smile if you are h....y" or something equally naughty.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:10 PM, Morgan Wright said:

Or a front bumper (fender in UK) for $3.95

001.jpg

Morgan,

Do you remember where you found this ad?

My E-35 has the bumper advertised as the ‘Lyon Resilient Indestructible Bumper’ on the lower left.

Not something I ever thought to specifically photograph, but am dead certain that’s the one.

Clearly aftermarket, and never appeared in photos of the car till the mid 1980’s, but it sure looks built for the car. (Nicest looking accessory bumper I’ve ever seen on a teen’s car too.)

I’d be interested in any info you have on it, especially year of publication.

Thanks,

Ben

D67A5DAB-F4E4-4AC8-A537-A8FC95C9C62C.jpeg

B3D3D561-68EB-47CE-B24F-407E743EEBA6.jpeg

Edited by Ben P.
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have the same Lyon front bumper for my 22-45 that I just had nickel plated.

• Like 1

I hope you didn't pay $8.25 for it, that's what it was brand new in the Montgomery Wards "The 1917 Bargain Book of automotive Supplies"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, ‘Metal Stamping Co., Long Island City’ - that’s definitely it.

Thanks guys!

Mark, that first ad is a hoot. But after my 1st experience trying to actually drive this E-35 I got out and told my brother, “My g-d I don’t know how ANYBODY learned how to drive one of these new!”

Driven a stick-shift my entire (driving) life, but those non-synchromesh gears — woof. Right then I knew why people bought Ford’s. 1 pedal and you’re into high. Took me a 1/4 mile to get it into second that 1st time. If I get Alzheimer’s I’m pretty sure I’ll still remember that...

D4BAA2CD-BC3E-4177-826A-1E29BE51F249.jpeg

• Haha 1

Remember, before that a driver probably had been  been driving a horse

They hadnt been spoiled by synchromesh.

• Haha 2

True Don.

Though I do recall having read the last sentence in the top photo below (out of the original 1918 ‘Reference Book’) and finding it painfully ominous. “With a little experience....”

That is not the only time that phrase appears in that book either🙂

Also about that time this story came out in the Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-1918-buick-celebrates-a-big-birthday-1522157400.

Thought the story of how the car came into the family’s possession was rather quaint — until I drove my car. Totally realistic.

Didn’t offer my brother the car for $15 though.

Lots to learn.

(Done polluting this thread - interesting stuff.)

947A429F-FEF1-4AC6-8046-D4E0826C7E0A.jpeg

5C99574A-F740-4A6B-B64D-C48FB9D65560.jpeg

On 4/14/2018 at 1:35 AM, ROD W said:

The Gabriel Snubbers are on the rear axle on my car

SAM_0061.JPG

Rod, 

I am in the process of trying to put snubbers on my 1925 Buick Standard. 

1) I would think that if you did not have all 4 snubbers, they would be more effective to have the 2 on the front of the car due to the mass.   Maybe you have all 4? 

2) The cost of replacement webbing is around $100 per snubber.   There is around 6 feet of webbing material in that case.  The replacement webbing is being made by sewing 2 pieces of cowl webbing together.  

3) They fail at the outer end.  I am going to see if I can remove 1 wrap of the webbing and get the snubber to work.  The front has less travel than the rear.  Maybe I can get away with at least not needing to replace all the webbing.   

4) It is odd to see your snubber inside the frame, I thought these went outside.  On the front they are on the outside of the frame.  

Hugh

• Like 1

In shifting I find that if I shift without really winding it up (like a more modern car) and shifting very quickly, I can do it repeatedly without gear clash.

Larry I took your half ads and using the magic of photoshop merged them together:

I like the white tires. Coker sells them but they ain't cheap.

E-49.jpg

• Like 2