'40 Cabriolet Electrical Problem

Ron K.

I am dealing with the original system with some rewire in the past and for some reason I don't have power to my ignition switch (or headlights), it had worked fine until recently.  I have 6v to the two outside poles on the device/block on the inside of the firewall but none to the center pole to which the ignition switch is wired.  I think that the Wiring Diagram is calling this device a Circuit Breaker, is there a way to reset it?  Any help, advice or instruction that you can give me would really be appreciated.

Ron

Thank you Mssr. Bwatoe for your help.  I do have power to the solenoid because the starter works fine.  It appears to me that on my car both the wire to the ignition switch and the wire going to the headlight switch are wired onto the same pole on the "circuit breaker" so neither have 6 volts.  As mentioned before, I do have 6 volts to the "box' because the two outside poles are hot with 6 volts (the middle pole to which the headlights and ignition has no power).  What is the purpose of that box and how do you reset the circuit breaker.  What if I wire the ignition to one of the hot poles?

Ron 

Thank you for all of your help, with John Murphy's help I referred to the Service Manual and on page 38 I found my circuit breaker, my car was retrofitted with a 1941 breaker and to muddy the issue even more, the rewiring done by the previous owner is nonstandard so that the color code is of no use.  Sure is fun owning a 78 year old car with some 65 year old wiring and  Lincoln V-8 engine.  I still have the problem but will eventually sort it out.  Thanks again.

Ron

Your ignition switch should be wired to the terminal closest to the ignition resisters, this is the one that should have the wire that comes from the battery side of the starter solenoid. The center terminal is for the headlights and the terminal furthest from the resisters is for the brake lights and other misc electrical.

It appears that the contact points for the headlight circuit breaker are not making contact. You can remove the cover and try cleaning the contacts with a fine burnishing blade or if you cannot find a fine blade, you can try some tuner and contact cleaner sprayed on a piece of cardboard and pulled through the contacts. Do not use sandpaper as it will remove what is left of the silver plating on the contacts.