Old car picture ID needed - photo taken in 1940

LVJB

The jukebox dimensions are: 60" High, 38" Wide, 26.5" Deep.

I think that would fit in the Sedan. What we can't tell is if the car is a two door or a four door and if it was a 6 or 8 cylinder.

The photo must have been taken in 1940 or early 41 as this jukebox was only produced in 1940 and 41 and as a Rock-Ola sales rep he wouldn't have been dragging an old model around. I also don't believe he would have cannibalised a brand-new car, so the suggestion that it could be a 1937 model seems to fit.

My wonder is how he coped with all that weight on the ass end. The jukebox weighs 410 lbs + the wall box, they weren't light.

15 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I'm guessing 1937 Pontiac (with the trunk lid removed) by the taillight, bumper guard and circle in  the center of the bumper....

Wow, I'm impressed that you could identify the 

car with so little of it visible.  Seeing the picture

you posted, I'm confident that you're right.

12 hours ago, 61 Sport Sedan said:

The car in the picture has the license plate in the center and looking at the right side, it is the shape of a later 40s model.

It appears the rear bumper has been extended some, and the trunklid removed.  I'd like to know how he strapped that jukebox down to prevent it from tipping.

Craig

Why was the tag location changed from the driver side tail light?  I believe it's because in addition to the trunk lid just being removed, the opening was widened (and the bumperettes moved farther apart). 
The car could also have been a 6 cylinder '38 Pontiac, though perhaps more likely it was a '37 since it had to be carved up. 

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

There's something "funny" about the height of the trunk floor.  The floor appears to be elevated when compared to that of the pictured sedan's, whose trunk lid lower edge is almost at the same height as the bumper.  (Could there have been a differential hump on the floor necessitating it?)  On that sedan there wouldn't have been enough height to clear the trunk lid for the tag to be center mounted. 
Why was the tag location changed from the driver side tail light?  I believe it's because in addition to the trunk lid just being removed, the opening was widened (and the bumperettes moved farther apart).  The car could also have been a 6 cylinder '38 Pontiac, though perhaps more likely it was a '37 since it had to be carved up. 

Car trunk has a double floor, spare tire lays flat between the two..

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Thanks for the correction on the jukebox.

Now which is more valuable (as in sell for more at an auction)?  A '37 Pontiac four door sedan, or that Rock Ola jukebox?

Craig

The Pontiac would be more valuable.

I think an average condition Pontiac is around 8k and an average Rock-Ola of this model would be around 3k.

This is all great guys. Keep the suggestions coming. At some point I need to purchase a car so that I can recreate the photo for my jukebox museum and I really would like to get it as close as possible. I know this is a very silly question, but has anyone any ideas on color of the bodywork?

1 hour ago, LVJB said:

This is all great guys. Keep the suggestions coming. At some point I need to purchase a car so that I can recreate the photo for my jukebox museum and I really would like to get it as close as possible. I know this is a very silly question, but has anyone any ideas on color of the bodywork?

Could be Linden Cream as on this chart or maybe repainted some other color....

Picture 427.jpg