1929 Dodge sedan interior

Bob Zetnick

I have quite a few '29 Dodge interior detail photos from many members here. I am about to send my car over to an interior upholstery shop. I thought I was going to do much of this myself, but am in the process of a move to a much smaller city where I'm not sure I can get help if I need it. Anyway, are there any '29 DA sedan owners there that can share any original or restored to original interior shots? ...like the carpet below the rear seat cushion, finished upper door to headliner shots, cowl board....I'm not sure the door windlace goes all the way down and tucks into the door sill plates (I think so)....my interior was all mohair originally ( no broadcloth ). I know many have restored cars that have exposed bolt heads on trim and door panels, but know this isn't original (or per my car)....anyway, any original type photos that won't confuse my upholsterer as to what I want are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bob,

saw your post, but had a look at what photos I had and thought others would have better. Since no one else has replied, these may be better than nothing.

They were taken of a very original DA in Adelaide, South Australia. Unfortunately for you, I took them to indicate how the original paint was applied when I painted mine, but it does show the door plates. 

Good luck.

John

IMG_0369m.jpg

IMG_0370m.jpg

IMG_0371m.jpg

Took some photos, it is all a bit rough, but hopefully it may help a bit.

The windlace matches the headlining and goes right round the door opening, I suspect the "join" would be at the bottom. The bottom part of the windlace is wrapped in the seat covering (and door card) material, so everything below the bottom of the window level matches the seats, everything above matches the headlining. The covered windlace is held in place at the bottom of the doors by the door plates. Everywhere else it is tacked to the wood panels attached to the body framework  that the upholstery is attached to. In the photo, I have only part of the windlace, it should go right round and meet up.

Regarding the rear seat, carpet covers the vertical part from the floor to the "ledge" that the seat sits in, about 5.25 inches. The front face of the front ledge that the seat sits in has a thin piece of wood attached that is covered in seat material.

I have not started on my upholstery yet, but I tried to keep a fair bit of the original stuff to help jog my memory when I do. It is all pretty sad and incomplete though. Still, better than nothing.

Hope this helps.

John

DSC02239m.jpg

DSC02241m.jpg

DSC02242m.jpg

DSC02243m.jpg

11 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Very true, although it does sort of sit below floor level and below the level of the aluminum edging on the floorboards.

Did you re-use that edging? Mine was too far gone so I used stainless steel.

Perhaps people were more careful in 1929???

Forgot about that edging!

Andrew, thanks!!!...those are awesome! The ones of the carpet and the last one showing thequarter window pillar are especially helpful! I thought I was going to do some of this myself, but am in the process of moving so am having someone do it all and pictures sure help when there is no interior left in the car!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the process of re-fitting the timber to the inside of my DA body, that the upholstery attaches to. I have kept most of the original timber, much is usable but some I am only using as a pattern. But I am confused about the area either side of the rear window.

There is timber at the top, but at the bottom of the rear window, linking with the bottom of the side window, there is a shaped angle iron piece. This piece has a couple of counter sunk holes in it, as though wood screws would go through it into some timber. Should there be some timber there? Have I lost those pieces? How does the curved upholstery panel in those back corners attach? Obviously to the timber at the top, but what about the bottom?

Hope this makes sense, along with the picture.

Thanks, John

DSC02314m.jpg

As far as the upholstery in the corners goes, my 1931 DB coupe had a sort of fiberboard like what was under the door upholstery. It was covered in the material and curved/bent to fit into the corners.

1 hour ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Thanks Keiser.

It is making sense now. It's a long time since I pulled it all to bits!!

I took mine out when I was about 15 years old....I am surprised I remembered that from 50 years ago (don't tell the Dodge Brothers guys. They think I am 160).

That puts us about the same age and nearly as long ago when I pulled mine to bits. Kept most stuff, even if only good for patterns and to jog my memory. Also a lot of notes on how it all fitted together. Even so, my memory is nowhere near as good as I hoped it would be at this stage. But that's life, isn't it? That is why this forum is so great, there is always someone that knows or can remember. What would we do without it (and digital photography).