Steering Wheel

GSPORT

I thought I'd get some feedback from the forum here first. My steering wheel ('65 Gran Sport) is cracked in the middle just above and below the BUICK logo, like someone laid into the horn with a Rocky Marciano like punch at one time. Anyone ever had their's repaired or replaced with a repro?

With time and such, the plastic shrinks due to the oils or whatever drying out of the material. An inevitable situation. Look in Hemmings for "steering wheel reproduction/repair" or similar. Seems like Eastwood Company might have a fix kit too, basically some epoxy that you fill in the crack with and then refinish the wheel. I don't know how that might work with some of the translucent plastics they used back then.

Hope that might help some . . .

NTX5467

My steering wheel is flaking away at the hub and the rim is cracked. I've never seen one.... well, OK, ONE, that wasn't cracked. I've investigated having mine recast from several outfits. Prices were.... are you sitting down?... from $475-$600.

Repair recommendations have been to use the epoxy-based kits. The problem I have is that the remaining plastic on the wheel is in such poor shape that I don't know that it'd be worth the effort.

Cheers,

John

The wheel on my 64 Sportwagon was so far gone I had nothing to lose and decided to try and fix it. I ground out the cracked areas around the hub with a dremel and then fiberglassed and sanded them. it takes a lot of sanding, filling and "eyeballing" to get it done right but it can be done. I resprayed it and clear coated it. The actual rim of the wheel had cracks where the spokes attached as well. I bought one of those leather raps that you can thread around the wheel (again time consuming) and it looks great. It is not an original show piece but it looks 100% better than it did and with minimal cost, sans my own time. You might want to buy another busted wheel and try this process on it as you can get them cheap compared to a NOS/nice one. Good luck, GH

At a Buick meet three years ago. I made the mistake of listening of several 65-67 Skylark/GS owners talking about how their steering wheels were cracked and stating that mine wasn't.

These guys laughed, walked over to my car, and showed me several cracks in my steering wheel, that I had never noticed!

So, like death and taxes, those cracks are unavoidable.

Don't waste time and money trying to find an NOS piece, just follow the advice above on restoring yours.