TerryB

How Many Wrenches Do You Really Need?

2 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I don't have a single wentworth wrench and that is enough!

I don't have any wentworth wrenches, either

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

I do  when you need them nothing else will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dei said:

I have just about every wrench I need both metric and SAE since my son bought his BIG multi drawer rolling tool box with wood top and has stocked it well.

I no longer have to hunt for mine as I put the ones I'm using back in there for fear I wreck our father and son relationship! :)

Funny how before he bought this thing, Dad's wrenches were never where I last put them... :rolleyes:

(Hmmm... guess I might have done that same thing to my Dad :o)

My father claims he had tools before he had three sons, hasnt seen them since. I keep finding tools with his initials on them in my box. I think he's planting them there to make a point....

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I do  when you need them nothing else will do.

I do have a few Whitworth wrenches;)

I don't have any wrenches.

But I do have an excellent collection of spanners! And Whitworth still gets a fair workout around here. 

8 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I don't have a single wentworth wrench and that is enough!

I wouldn't have a wrench in my garage that got a song stuck in my head while I was working. (Don't remember this)

On 1/23/2018 at 12:47 PM, CarlLaFong said:

Nor do I. Perhaps because I've got all those Whitworth wrenches.  Perhaps someone can supply a picture of a Yeti holding a Wentworth wrench - very rare!

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, Plyroadking said:

My father claims he had tools before he had three sons, hasnt seen them since.

EXACTLY what my late father used to say!

i have wrenches i never use[ those ones that ratchet] and then there are those that get used over and over. now i only look for ones that are an unusual size or shape. i recently bought an electric adjustable wrench. really cool, mostly a conversation piece. $1 at a yard sale.i have old wrenches from my grandfather that i now see at flea markets with crazy prices on them.i tried to sell mine at a yard sale. nobody wanted them, even at cheap prices.every wrench[except the ratchet ones] i have will eventually get used at least once, and then i am glad i have it..tools are an extension of your hand, so if you are handy you need them.   skyler

Ah mechanically willing and able sons are a blessing and a bother. The blessing is they work on their own cars in your shop/driveway thus the tools and the mess are yours when they are done. That is if you can find all the tools they've used and put back in the wrong places or didn't. The bother is the mess left behind after the car has repaired and has been for a few days or weeks with the promised cleanup waiting until they get a chance to do it. Back to the tools. My oldest son and my nephew a couple of decades ago worked on one of their cars at my place. A few days later I discovered a wrench that I'd gotten from my dad at his passing was missing a double end box wrench. So I took them both to task about the wrench,both said it was put back. Fast forward about a year or so and while digging along the parking strip on the side of my place I found the "returned" wrench buried in about 3 inches of dirt. The finish a bit worse for the time in the dirt but cleaned up it functions well to this day. Yes as most of the rest of us I have several boxes full of tools in my shop/garage, truck box, at the place of one of my project cars rests and that's just hand tools. This in no way includes the power tools electrical or air operated. This tool thing I have is like an off shoot of my old car disease I just can't seem to stop collecting them. I echo the saying of " I never met a tool that I didn't like" I'll add or possibly might have a use for.    

On 1/27/2018 at 12:01 PM, ejboyd5 said:

Bloo:  Thanks for the Yeti.  Where did you find the "Wentworth" wrench?

Something the cat dragged in.......

qHmm3GY.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dictator has it rite, when you have enough is when you can always find what you need. My problem is freebies, can only use so many flashlights, tape measures, and DVMs.

22 minutes ago, padgett said:

Dictator has it rite, when you have enough is when you can always find what you need. My problem is freebies, can only use so many flashlights, tape measures, and DVMs.

I agree and can attest to the glut of ‘freebies’ or Harbor Freight Halloween Candy.  Recently, they have been offering a small moving blanket freebie.  Those are extremely handy - not sure you can have too many of those around the shop ...

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Those free flashlights, tape measures and DVMs have made me some money when I sell them at garage sales!

I have tools I've forgotten what they're for. I have tools I haven't used in years because I "altered" them for a specific thing I was working on. I have two Craftsman chests full, and a couple weeks ago I went in HF and found this delicious  72" 18 drawer chest.U.S. General® Pro 61656 72 in. 18 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet And I'm thinking, buy this, put everything in it IN ONE PLACE, and sell the Craftsmans on craigslist. Of course we know that will never happen- there will then be THREE tool chests!

I've also developed a bad swap meet habit of buying up old USA-made tools. Been grabbing all the Western Auto Wizard brand I can find. 

It's a disease...

Like my Signature says. Most Of my Money I spent on Tools, Mechanical Things, and Girls. The rest I wasted.

Never enough. Always something "new and improved" or something old and made from "unobtainium" that pops up to add to the collection. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Never enough, both Snap On and Matco trucks stop by each week to my wife's Subaru Service Center. I have a standing order with both, to purchase any repo or trade in tools and they know what  I will buy. Every week is like Christmas, I never know what will show up.

Keep in mind the repo and used tools are less than 1/2 of new and they work just fine. Also the warranty is still good, as I'm a very good regular customer. I have several tool boxes and they are full. I have complete sets of hand tools in each of the cars in my collection , plus tools for the summer home. When I pass on to never never land it will be one hell of an auction, don't miss it, not to mention the lathes, milling machines, welding machines surface grinders, and too many hand power tools to mention.

I never met a tool I did not love and covet, my wife feels the same about diamonds, so its kind of a trade off, we each get what we want, a happy wife is a happy life.

just sayn'

brasscarguy

20 hours ago, rocketraider said:

U.S. General® Pro 61656 72 in. 18 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet And I'm thinking, buy this, put everything in it IN ONE PLACE, and sell the Craftsmans on craigslist. Of course we know that will never happen- there will then be THREE tool chests!

For the average guy at home, those HF toolboxes are a hell of a good deal. Maybe not Snap-On quality, but at least as good, if not better, than the Crapsman stuff, being peddled by Sears these days. Each time I'm at HF, I almost pull the trigger. I do try to avoid HF except for things that I know will be OK. I needed a wobble extension the other day,  to work on the rear main on my Model A. I got a set of 9 at HF for 19 bucks. What the heck, they're extensions. I have some cheepo Pacific Rim extensions in my box and have never broken one

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

I tried to figure it out by finding all my tool locations:

1.  Main box by the biggest work bench with all the drawers.

2.  Work bench beside the lift with some of my father s tools and mine mixed.

3.   Roll around took box at the front of the lift is my favorite because I can roll it to whatever I'm playing

with anywhere in the building.  However all the specialty tools are in the box @ #1.  

4.   Each car has it's own tool box or bag (8)

5.   The motor home has it's own 7 drawer tool box.

6.   Our ATV/Golf Cart has it's own tool bag and shovels.

7.   The tractor shed has hand tools and outdoor power tools.

8.   The house garage has it's own 4 drawer tool box and drawered work bench and small hardware bins.

9.   Grandpa's tools are mostly in workbench drawers.  

10.  Don;t forget the tools in the kitchen drawer and the basement utility room.

To count all those hand tools is a bigger project than will ever work it's way up the list of projects.

I still look at tools anyplace we go and think the only "Stubby wrenches I have, are one's I cut.

I guess a car addiction led to tool addiction.  But, I'm a happy addict.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Went to an auction last night. Settling estate of a deceased GM Master mechanic. I got a few Snap-On odds and ends, stuff I'd always wanted but would never shell out the cash.  I have to say I'd never seen Snap-On with rust and pits like a lot of these tools had, but I guess they'd been stored badly.

There was a 16 year old there buying up some stuff. Likable kid who's in his first year of high school auto-tech. He tickled me telling about his dad getting into HIS toolbox and then he couldn't find his tools. So sons aren't the only ones who get into other family members toolboxes!

And to beat a dead horse, I was in Sears a couple nights ago and the only US made tools I found were some Torx screwdrivers and a couple of flat-blade screwdrivers. Told the kid working there I sure was glad I got all my Craftsman years ago. The corollary? He says "if you have to replace any of them, the China-made stuff is what we replace it with." Oh damn, I thinks to meself.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rocketraider said:

And to beat a dead horse, I was in Sears a couple nights ago and the only US made tools I found were some Torx screwdrivers and a couple of flat-blade screwdrivers. Told the kid working there I sure was glad I got all my Craftsman years ago. The corollary? He says "if you have to replace any of them, the China-made stuff is what we replace it with." Oh damn, I thinks to meself.

It isn't as if they keep a stock of the good USA stuff for warranty purposes. You get what they have.

Sometimes the "kid behind the counter" can be a bonus. I busted a tool a few years ago, before Craftsman became Crapsman. I went through all my stuff to see if I had any other tools that I could turn in. A the bottom of one drawer was an ancient Craftsman hacksaw. The kind with three notches in the frame to accommodate different length blades and a wing nut to set the tension. The plastic handle had broken off. The "kid" looks at it and says he'll be right back. After, what seemed like 20 minutes, he comes back and says the this is all they have and hands me a 30 dollar, lever action, magnesium handled USA Craftsman Pro hacksaw. I sorta look it over, sneer a little and say, "I guess this will do." I slowly walked to the exit and sprinted to the truck