Inside treatment of brake drum backing plate?

AACA Members:

I'm in the early phases of working on a '37 Pontiac 2 door touring sedan ... although I don't believe that my question

is specific to that marque or year.

I plan to treat/remove rust and then paint (with Eastwood brake drum black) the outside of the drum and the suspension side

of the backing plate. What is the proper finish for the brake side of the backing plate? Wire wheel/brush and that's it? Or does

it get painted too? Or something else? I'm worried that painting may be a bad idea for fear that the rubbing surfaces in contact with

the shoes will flake or wear off and ultimately cause problems.

Thanks for your recommendations,

John Shott

I have always used Black Zinc Chromate enamel to prevent future rust formation (Ditzler DPE-1538) but the EPA in their infinite wisdom banned it for being toxic. You don't eat it, you stop rust with it. It was designed for truck body preservation. At any rate it never caused any shoe motion faults and lasted forever. Maybe the formula will come up on one of those "Underground" web sites.

Stude8

Unless you are going for a concourse restoration, I don't think you need to worry about flaking and/or rubbing off of the paint. No one will ever see it anyway. If you use a little grease or lubricant such as Sil-Gel there won't be much wear anyway. All I have ever done is sandblast the backplate and paint it with a primer and a good enamel metal paint. Eastwood has several listed in their catalog.

AACA Members:

Thanks for your help on this ... I'll go ahead and paint and then use SylGlide on the inside of the backing plate.

I guess that I was originally thinking that the paint dust from the rubbing surfaces might pose a problem

.... forgetting that the BIG source of dust is from the brake lining rubbing against the drum.

So, thanks to you all for making me a little smarter about such matters,

John Shott