Heirloom Tools

Roger Frazee

5 minutes ago, zipdang said:

HOT Dr. Pepper? New one on me!

Actually that might not be too bad. On a very hot midsummer tour that my wife and I participated in a couple of years ago, we had left a large bottle of Coke in the car. Being desperate for something to drink, we opened the HOT Coke! Surprised that it was quite spicy and refreshing. So now we kind of like it that way :) 

• Like 1

Yes, it's a real thing. High-fructose corn syrup DP ain't as good as the old cane sugar version, either cold or hot.

Whenever the rain lets up and I can get some good daylight, I have some wonderful teens tools I'll post. One of my hotrodder kids has already spoken for them. They'll have a good home and caretaker with Kristopher.

I unfortunately have no tools that were handed down to me. All my dad had were very basic and cheap hand tools. For some reason he never understood my tool junkie gene, though my uncle "Tump" and aunt Evelyn did. Tump had tools out the yingyang but no organization at all, had to search for what he needed every time he needed it. Evelyn OTOH knew where everything was- or was supposed to be anyway!🙂

Everyone, 

I have hundreds of items that my grandfather’s had. The thermometer was from the Roanoke, Virginia bottling company. My maternal grandparents had this at their motel located at the Blue Ridge Parkway. The motel was the Big Dipper located on US 220 South in Clearbrook Va. 

This was located Between the Parkway, Roanoke Dragstrip and Starkey Speedway. All were within a mile of their motel. Most tools I have are my dads Father’s. He was born 1921 and my mothers father in 1904 

Well, Bob, that (pliers) is not in the 1959 New Britain catalog. No Google hits on the part number so far...

https://archive.org/details/NewBritainMachineCatalogNo59M1958/page/n7/mode/2up

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Well, Bob, that (pliers) is not in the 1959 New Britain catalog. No Google hits on the part number so far...

https://archive.org/details/NewBritainMachineCatalogNo59M1958/page/n7/mode/2up

I’ve never really looked into these as they seem more modern. They’re really a cool tool for certain applications! Some tools I have are definitely just singular purpose tools! 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

My grandfather got this lathe around 1900 and it was old then. Not sure of it's use but my mother called it a jeweler's lathe but I don't see that. Notice one of the dogs is made from a piece of old gun barrel. He did not throw anything away. 

Movers managed to lose the tool rest.

old lathe.jpg

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Worked at my Pops old place today. Had to tighten a hydraulic line on my tractor. I thought about an old Walworth Stillson pipe wrench of his and how handy it would’ve been. He used it on steam heat radiator pipes. He liked being able to carry this little pipe wrench in his pocket. I wire wheeled the steel but the handle is original finish. Late 1890’s or early 1900’s is my guess with the makers marks? A couple pics one with a bottle cap for scale. 

F740022F-D5F4-4B06-99D5-6597CC8388E2.jpeg

4A0C4329-7653-417D-AC98-95ABE2DD4D65.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

No idea what the country is. 

I still have a roll of sandpaper made in W Germany.

This was GDR - German Democratic Republic. I have a few tools made in CCCP (USSR) 😊 Used by my father, electrical pliers. Shows the price 2 rubles and 80 kopeks, Good below 1000 volts.

20210720_161735.jpg

20210720_161749.jpg

Edited by Skvitt (see edit history)
  • Like 1