1922 Fiat 501 Targa Florio

oldcar

Hello Again John

Yes!  the Italians were pretty smart even in the 1920s Some of Fiat's young engineers went on to do some pretty good stuff Ferraris and things like that. To think that I got very close to scrapping this project not all that long ago. It actually appeared, For Sale, on the PreWarCar website for about an hour.

Bj

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Bernie, I was looking back on the previous page at the two pictures of the frame up on 4 wheels. I did not realize (or remember?) that you had the cowl (or at least the frame? of the cowl). Is the gas tank carried in the cowl on this model Fiat? It looks like it in those two pictures.

The other thing that I wanted to comment on......since I'm way behind on looking at the forum because I've been working hard on my own cars.......is the brake assembly. That is very interesting how the 'road' brakes and the 'emergency or parking' brake are separate shoes. Very nice looking castings on that brake assembly.

Are you getting close to starting on the body?

Oh dear, oh dear! It seem that I have shocked you all into total submission. Not a word of critism or any demands for an explanation? The only thing that stops me being a completely ignorant bum is my Education at the Melbourne Institute of Technology as a Furniture Designer. I admit that was the best part of a lifetime ago. Perhaps you are waiting until work has progressed a little further so that you can see the final product. I have in the more recent past built my version of an individual front seat for a number of my "restorations".

If anyone is concerned as to the authenticity of the design or perhaps more accurately "style". The original was based on the front seats in a 1926 Crossley* albeit that the 1926 Crossley seats were made in timber (wood).

* Note the double 's' indicating the this was one of the English Crossleys not the American Crosley.

There is a difference as shown in the attached photographs.

Unknown.jpeg.470403801b955b0ea7d75512fa9681e6.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg.28e2e07e8a4559c44dbcda76d0ddcd34.jpeg

Bernie j.

I will leave it up to you to work out which car has the double 's'.

There an old school boy joke about "How do you make an Irishman "cross". 

I will leave it up to you to work that one out too.

Bj.

You had all better watch out or I may let my Czech 'Lion' out to eat you.Unknown.png.2f1b9d62102793798d45b00dc14c2f78.png

Hello again, it has started to rain quite heavily so that brings today's fun to an end. 

1/. Shows my trusty "manual" tube Bender, it's one limitation is that it will only bend square tube up to 3/4 inch square,DSCN6092.thumb.jpg.062bdb2b4999a003e930255a7c2cf279.jpg

2/. shows the end product with two pieces of tube stacked one on top of the other to demonstrate that the bends are uniform.

DSCN6093.thumb.jpg.a9257b02c714a3fef93d54d094c825f7.jpg

3/. shows the same two pieces of tube which are to form part of the back-rest of the second seat.

DSCN6094.thumb.jpg.8821b404dfa1717e8c802fa3d515411e.jpg

4/. shows the back rest with the tube in place on one of the seat frames. These are still a work in progress. DSCN6095.thumb.jpg.0e2ceb0837d230f0e666651cb848eef9.jpg

• Like 1

Bernie, I've been spending a lot of time working on my cars, and less on the internet so that's why no comments from me. :)

I love your tubing bender! That is ingenuity in action for sure. Looking forward to more progress pictures.

Bernie,

Just to stay part of the conversation, and satisfy your need for a reaction to your seat example, I have to say the blue ones dont look period correct to me, but certainly neat and fucntional. In fact they wouldnt look too out of place in a Clubbie...except they would need to be high backed for modern rules.

https://imgur.com/ZvRiZPO

No interior in my Rover yet, but hoping to get started on that soon. 

https://imgur.com/c1NMwoU

jp 26 Rover 9.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, jp928 said:

Bernie,

Just to stay part of the conversation, and satisfy your need for a reaction to your seat example, I have to say the blue ones dont look period correct to me, but certainly neat and fucntional. In fact they wouldnt look too out of place in a Clubbie...except they would need to be high backed for modern rules.

jp 26 Rover 9.

18275169_10211466751576201_1414824550398758292_n.jpg

Bernie,

jp 26 Rover 9.

Hello JP

You are possibly right ! There are quite a lot of people who I have never met and vice versa have never met me, who will tell you what a completely ignorant old fool I am. Many of these same people have never completed a ground up restoration of even one car1290953733_Crossley3Litre1.thumb.jpg.d5e3960c082575c5dfba8d41edba37ad.jpg

I am too old to be dragged into an argument about such simple things as SEATS.

I have used the same or a similar design for the seats in a number of restorations/rebuilds. They have all been based on the original seats (unusable) that came with the 1928/9 Crossley that I rebuilt quite a long time ago. The car still exists and is alive and well used in WALES UK. If you would like to go and check I can probably find the owner in the UK VSCC list of members. The current owner of this car is or was last time I spoke with him a handicaped driver and has converted the Crossley to all hand controls.

Bj.

Bernie Jacobson

• Like 1

Bernie,

jp 26 Rover 9.

Going back throught some other photographs of my restorations I found another example of my out of period seats for you to criticise; but to be fair I think that you  should show us some of your more recent restorations, so that  we can gauge if you are "fair dinkum" or just talking Bullshit!

Bj.

787882724_Offthechassisitisremarkablejusthowsmallthebodyis_124.thumb.jpg.f17a5201f5f981389561f466cc67eeb1.jpg548798087_Interior1.thumb.JPG.60a8c6018609b3153a434399259748c8.JPG

Looking good Bernie, as always.  

I can't remember, so I have to ask, I know you build the seat frame, but do you also do the upholstery? Actual sewing?  Or do you farm that out and do the install?

My TBird will be much easier on the front end, in that I have a seat that just needs new covers and they are available aftermarket.  The problem comes in when I have to do the install as it is a power seat and they are supposed to be a bear to get put in and adjusted to all the buttons work properly.

Keep up the good work!

Frank

Sorry about that Bernie, but thats my impression of those seats. Maybe its the lack of patina, looking very new.  When I get the Rover done I will be in the same boat, but at the moment its unavoidable unless a base and back the right size from the 20s magically turns up, or I find a way to 'age' newly covered seats turns up.

jp 26 Rover 9

Cracking job Bernie! Making great progress considering its been less than a year.

Looks like you may have the drag link installed back to front though, the cushioned end with the springs is suppose to go up the steering box end. It probably matters not in the long run, I cant think of any side affects of having it installed this way so long as you've still got the full range of motion lock to lock.

Today I set a new record, the angle grinder I bought new about three months ago made a short sharp rattle then burst into flames in my hands. The only Brand identifiaction I can see on it is XU1. I know that this did not cost me very much to buy but I did think that it would see me out on this (possibly) last project. It could have cost me a whole lot more if there had been any flamable material about where it threw it!

The last angle grinder, a Bosch, finally gave up after years & years or "use" when the brushes completely wore away. I am now looking for some replacemeant brushes.

Bj

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, oldcar said:

Just two or three quick little pics to keep you up to date. My good friend Dr Wong has looked at the "cat-scans" he ordered of my head, He tells me that he could not see anything!

Bj.DSCN6098.thumb.jpg.3e6b7bbbf6b74b392c8166266505c9ff.jpgDSCN6099.thumb.jpg.32c44c82b25bfb995ed219114dba66d4.jpgDSCN6099.thumb.jpg.32c44c82b25bfb995ed219114dba66d4.jpgDSCN6097.thumb.jpg.403e361215b65de3df6139e3460510b3.jpg

?   Image result for cat scan and lab test joke

To paraphrase Jimmy Durante 'the net's got a million of 'em.'

On 7/17/2018 at 5:38 PM, oldcar said:

Hello Jp

As we are both live in the same corner of the woods perhaps you can tell me who/where they are. If we are going o/s  next year I should really look at the Rapier's brakes. It is some time/miles since I last relined them.

Thank you

Bj.

Bernie,  Eltham ABS - woven bonded linings on 4 shoes (~9.5" drums), 1 drum skimmed, shoes radius ground - $120.

john

Today I set a new record, the angle grinder I bought new about three months ago made a short sharp rattle then burst into flames in my hands. The only Brand identifiaction I can see on it is XU1

Bunnings have given me a full credit + a $30 Gift card so it has now been replaced by a new angle grinder that has ben put straight to work. The seats are that much closer to be ready for my trimmer to start work on. Another good day's work should see them done.DSCN6100.thumb.jpg.2325d3e14f1150ceda5b0377fda2a6e8.jpgDSCN6102.thumb.jpg.14fa41d8e4e726d9439dcc9b3de5b19a.jpg

Going by the reports of the astonishing actions carried out by the Australian Border Force (previously the Australian Customs Service) it is extremely doubtful if we will be going anywhere outside Australia with the Lagonda. Next time it leaves Australia it will be never to return!

It seems as though they (ABF) are hell bent to either destroy any Vintage/Classic Car that comes within their grasp or simply prohibit the re-entry of cars that may have spent all their lives in Australia but their owners were foolish enough to take it out of Australia to participate in an event overseas.  There are reports of people being given horrific treatment even if they wish to sell their "collector" car to someone outside Australia and ship it to the new owner.

Bj.

You may be able to get a pre-departure inspection and certification from some private "approved cleaning facility." Have you heard of such things? Apparently there is one in California that is approved by the Australian Border Force to certify cars being sent from the USA to Australia. Here it is (not that it does you any good):

The only reason I post this is I figure if we have this in California, you should have something comparable in your home country.

http://www.tgal.us/__trashed-3/

We Have the Solution for Asbestos Removal

We have been working very hard over the last 18+ months to create an approved Offshore pre-cleaning and an Asbestos pre-testing / removal program with the Australian Border Force control.

Our West Coast facility located in Compton, CA is currently the only site recognized as anApproved Offshore Cleaning facility by the Australian government in the USA. This approval enables us to offer “Guaranteed Pre-Cleaning” meeting the Australian Biosecurity requirements for vehicles and motorcycles.

This pre-inspection and pre-cleaning system allows our customers to avoid the hidden and inflated costs associated with attendance fees, quarantine inspections and cleaning at destination.

We guarantee the cleaning

"Trans-Global" in California: http://aiologistics.net/trans-global-logistics-group-establish-aqis-pre-cleaning-and-asbestos-pre-testing-removal-program-in-australia/

They have combined the Pre-Testing for Asbestos and Pre-Cleaning programs in an All-In LCL and FCL Full Service Program, which includes the Asbestos Check and Pre-Cleaning programs, it also includes loading, shipping, marine insurance, port charges, unpacking, clearance and destination fees in Australia. (There are some exclusions that do apply such as customs fees and those exclusions will be fully outlined for you prior to booking).

The Australian Border Force has reiterated “Due Diligence” must be exhibited in determining what the risk items are and to assure those items are tested to confirm they are “Asbestos Free”.

They have an Asbestos expert whom specializes in vehicles and they will assess the components at risk on each vehicle and test them (which includes all brakes pads), they will provide a NATA approved equivalent certificate.  For the items that fail, the items with asbestos will be removed and Customs will be provided with a Statement of Removal.  If items are replaced they will be required to be re-tested for asbestos.

The cost for the removal/replacement will be obtained and provided to the customer.

They have presented their proposed program to the Australian Border Force and most importantly, the Australian Border Force recognizes Trans Global’s program as providing “Due Diligence”, which will eliminate your risk of fines and penalties.

If you are unsure on your obligations as an importer, please contact the Australian Border Force directly 1300 558 099 or visit the below link for further facts and reference.

Re-importing Australian-based vehicles Owners intending to temporarily export a vehicle from Australia, with the intention of re-importation, such as for the purposes of participation in an overseas rally, must be aware that:

 The importation of that vehicle back into Australia is prohibited if it contains any level of asbestos.

 To facilitate the return to Australia, the owner should identify any parts or components with asbestos and replace them before export.

 Insulation  Brake pads and shoes  Seals: o mastic sealants/coatings o body seams o asphalt undercoating  Gaskets: o cylinder head o extractors o exhaust system  Bonnet liners  Valve rings  Heater/air conditioner housings  Fibrous washers  Sound deadening material  Clutch linings  Firewalls  Heat shields  Wiring wrap

 On that vehicle’s return, the owner must be prepared to provide assurance that the vehicle does not contain any asbestos.

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Importingandbuyinggoodsfromoverseas/Documents/fs-asbestos-risk-importing-vehicle.pdf

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)