oldcar

1922 Fiat 501 Targa Florio

6 hours ago, oldcar said:

Hello NZCN

You may be getting confused, Rose Jelinkova is the authour of the V&V article, Elizabeth Junek (Junkova) was a very well known racing driver, particularly of Bugatti pre-WW2. You are correct Madan Junek was a Czech national. The Fiat was her first racing car. There is any amount written about her and her association with Bugatti.

Google may be able to assist you re Rose Jelinkova.

Bj.

Yes I understand the difference between Liz and Rose. Tried Google for Rose but no luck. She may have 'just been a journo' for the Pragopress. I guess even she may be no longer with us.

Looks almost perfect.  I am surprised that any of the sheet metal survived the years in storage.  It looks new.  Great job.  Any other surviving pieces of the body that you can use or use for patterns?  Still enjoy following along and look forward to your posts with my morning coffee.

You may need a special stop watch to time flies...I could meanwhile time the progress on the Fiat with a sun-dial.

It has taken a whole day to organise the door for one of the two little tool lockers, one in each side of the tail. By the time I went out and bought two pair of small hinges, cut up the steel for the frame and sorted out mounting the hinges, I still have to find the two little catches that I carefully put away for these two "doors".  Meanwhile the two sheets of 1.2 Aluminium have arrived but I will not be starting on them for a few days yet. I still have to make the other tool locker door and a million other things first.

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Having started to make the door I have realised that IF I am going to fit mudguards that this may make access difficult. It may be easier/better to access this space from behind the seats. (I have now discovered a "U" shaped aluminium moulding that will making the mudguards so much easier I have decided that I should put them on the "to do" list. Meanwhile I have made a little progress with the "skin" for the Fiat.

While I know all the "armchair experts" would have done all this so much better and in half the time. I have just two words for you/ them but I will have to rely on your imagination! To make it easier for you, the first word is "get......"

Just last weekend I had a visit from one of my Vintage Friends. Looking at the body frame He ran a critical finger over some of my welds. "I see that your welding has NOT improved!"  was his only comment. Coming from someone who to my linited knowledge has never held an oxy welding torch in his life, all I did was smile.

My next step will be to lift the frame off the chassis so that I can finish the bottom edge of the side panels. So far it looks as though my "guesstimation" was just about right. I should get the entire body out of the two 1200 x 2400 sheets. I will have to order some more thicker gauge aluminium for the mudguards. The one good thing is that I can have the  aluminium supplier cut the one sheet into four mudguard sized pieces. With the sheet cut up I should have no trouble collecting it in the faithful Peugeot and save myself the $50 delivery charge.

Bj.

.DSCN6142.thumb.jpg.5b17709ad45c2f6e81f76d4ce902c131.jpgDSCN6143.thumb.jpg.84975427bbbc9ee8f094e5fff103bc74.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Looks really good Bernie.

Is that one of those custom cast iron "iron"  dollies you have sitting on the engine????

That is so cool. 

Hello Bernie. That is looking fabulous glad to see another one coming back to life,and I personally speak for myself.i don’t want to hear this being the last one,I believe it’s people like yourself with that take no prisoner attitude that keeps this hobby alive and brings the dead back to life,good luck hope to be watching in the future,     Dave

Bernie, since it is going to be a tribute car, I would opt for the more trades job re paint and interior.  I would expect the next owner would be taking it to local shows and would want it to present it as a "early race car" honor of Elizabeth Junek.  Would make for a great story.

That is a tough call Bernie!  I think I would consider whether the expected cost would be returned down the road.  If I remember correctly, you have always intended to sell it.  So, if it will potentially pay for itself, I would go for it.  ?