oldcar

1922 Fiat 501 Targa Florio

I realise you have completed much excellent work on getting where the fiat is today. I thought your quiz was to spot the differences between the two photos in your post 270. As you said it's not one shot from the left and the other from the right. No need to be condescending to myself.

17 minutes ago, oldcar said:

DSCN6082.thumb.jpg.5f93b075953738d79109ce5498610eba.jpg

That's OK with me, but looks a little unconventional. That is a pulley, with the cable taking off straight from it's top, but at the bottom the cable takes off to the side of the pulley? If it is what I think I see then unusual wear on the pulley is what one would expect.

Oh, I was wondering why the star wheel's arms were bent.  It is a cable guard!  Great pics.

Hello Again John

Yes!  the Italians were pretty smart even in the 1920s Some of Fiat's young engineers went on to do some pretty good stuff Ferraris and things like that. To think that I got very close to scrapping this project not all that long ago. It actually appeared, For Sale, on the PreWarCar website for about an hour.

Bj

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Bernie,

Thankfully my local brake workshop is able to get woven linings bonded on my shoes, so that will be quick! They regularly do them for motorcycle drum brakes.

jp 26 Rover 9

Bernie, This was ABS in Sherbourne Rd, but there is also an ABS branch at 80 Whitehorse Rd if thats closer. If they are franchises, no two branches may handle the same stuff.

jp 26 Rover 9

Bernie, I was looking back on the previous page at the two pictures of the frame up on 4 wheels. I did not realize (or remember?) that you had the cowl (or at least the frame? of the cowl). Is the gas tank carried in the cowl on this model Fiat? It looks like it in those two pictures.

The other thing that I wanted to comment on......since I'm way behind on looking at the forum because I've been working hard on my own cars.......is the brake assembly. That is very interesting how the 'road' brakes and the 'emergency or parking' brake are separate shoes. Very nice looking castings on that brake assembly.

Are you getting close to starting on the body?

Which are you looking to for inspiration, the "Junkova" vehicle? I can't help but laugh a bit whenever I read that name.

Junkovs Fiat 501.JPG

Fiat 501.jpg

Fiat 501 1923.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear! It seem that I have shocked you all into total submission. Not a word of critism or any demands for an explanation? The only thing that stops me being a completely ignorant bum is my Education at the Melbourne Institute of Technology as a Furniture Designer. I admit that was the best part of a lifetime ago. Perhaps you are waiting until work has progressed a little further so that you can see the final product. I have in the more recent past built my version of an individual front seat for a number of my "restorations".

If anyone is concerned as to the authenticity of the design or perhaps more accurately "style". The original was based on the front seats in a 1926 Crossley* albeit that the 1926 Crossley seats were made in timber (wood).

* Note the double 's' indicating the this was one of the English Crossleys not the American Crosley.

There is a difference as shown in the attached photographs.

Unknown.jpeg.470403801b955b0ea7d75512fa9681e6.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg.28e2e07e8a4559c44dbcda76d0ddcd34.jpeg

Bernie j.

I will leave it up to you to work out which car has the double 's'.

There an old school boy joke about "How do you make an Irishman "cross". 

I will leave it up to you to work that one out too.

Bj.

You had all better watch out or I may let my Czech 'Lion' out to eat you.Unknown.png.2f1b9d62102793798d45b00dc14c2f78.png

Hello again, it has started to rain quite heavily so that brings today's fun to an end. 

1/. Shows my trusty "manual" tube Bender, it's one limitation is that it will only bend square tube up to 3/4 inch square,DSCN6092.thumb.jpg.062bdb2b4999a003e930255a7c2cf279.jpg

2/. shows the end product with two pieces of tube stacked one on top of the other to demonstrate that the bends are uniform.

DSCN6093.thumb.jpg.a9257b02c714a3fef93d54d094c825f7.jpg

3/. shows the same two pieces of tube which are to form part of the back-rest of the second seat.

DSCN6094.thumb.jpg.8821b404dfa1717e8c802fa3d515411e.jpg

4/. shows the back rest with the tube in place on one of the seat frames. These are still a work in progress. DSCN6095.thumb.jpg.0e2ceb0837d230f0e666651cb848eef9.jpg

• Like 1

Bernie, I've been spending a lot of time working on my cars, and less on the internet so that's why no comments from me. :)

I love your tubing bender! That is ingenuity in action for sure. Looking forward to more progress pictures.

Bernie,

Just to stay part of the conversation, and satisfy your need for a reaction to your seat example, I have to say the blue ones dont look period correct to me, but certainly neat and fucntional. In fact they wouldnt look too out of place in a Clubbie...except they would need to be high backed for modern rules.

https://imgur.com/ZvRiZPO

No interior in my Rover yet, but hoping to get started on that soon. 

https://imgur.com/c1NMwoU

jp 26 Rover 9.