Power enhancement ideas

jonlabree

Daniel alluded to installing a Series II engine and that it is not as difficult as it may seem. I had a couple of conversations with Ryan at GM Tuners specifically about if the LN3 ECM can operate the Series II engine successfully, and it appears it is within reason to do so. That does open up some other possibilities, even the N/A engine is 205hp, 230tq, so it would seem to be a useful increase plus the package is smaller and is 26# lighter weight. The MAF uses the same frequency range as the stock one but would likely need some fine tuning. Not on my radar at this point, but an interesting possibility.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, DAVES89 said:

Goin junkin with 2seater on Thursday. Hope we find something. I think odds are good...

We did indeed find several complete '94-'95 candidates as well as several Series II s/c. I questioned our sanity in venturing parts hunting with a strong north wind, 0*F and -19*F windchill. I am there in my mukluks, insulated longjohns, hooded sweatshirt under a Carhartt parka and a Stormy Kromer hat. Dave arrives with a light windbreaker, cotton gloves, no hat and he may have been wearing flip-flops, although I may have been hallucinating that part. Many thanks to Dave's great recall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Well? What'd you get?

Too darn cold to do any wrenching. We did discuss having the yard pull a complete engine for me. The engine I have in mind is listed as bad but everything else is there and the s/c spins freely. We shall see about doing a more detailed look and get the vulnerable parts out of the way when we get a break in the weather. We are at the start of a week long cold spell.

5 hours ago, 2seater said:

We did indeed find several complete '94-'95 candidates as well as several Series II s/c. I questioned our sanity in venturing parts hunting with a strong north wind, 0*F and -19*F windchill. I am there in my mukluks, insulated longjohns, hooded sweatshirt under a Carhartt parka and a Stormy Kromer hat. Dave arrives with a light windbreaker, cotton gloves, no hat and he may have been wearing flip-flops, although I may have been hallucinating that part. Many thanks to Dave's great recall.

That's funny. I was wearing hush puppy shoes, insulated socks, Levis [no long underwear], tee shirt, denim shirt, and lined jacket, and insulated gloves. I did not wear a hat. We were outside about 35 minutes walking at a fair pace only stopping to look at '94/95 cars. 

We spotted about 7-9 Rivs of which at least 5 were 1995 vintage. Two were stripped of the super chargers and 2 we could pop the hood and see that they were complete. There were 2 more that we could not get the hood to relaese [hey I guess that means there were 6 of them]. We did not look at any Pontiacs or Oldsmobiles so I bet there are 1-2 more Supercharged cars out there.

2seater knew what he was looking for so I really was there just as a "tour guide" and for moral support. He couldn't have been too cold as he wandered off a time or two to look at different cars then what we were there for... lol 

7 hours ago, 2seater said:

I am there in my mukluks, insulated longjohns, hooded sweatshirt under a Carhartt parka and a Stormy Kromer hat. Dave arrives with a light windbreaker, cotton gloves, no hat and he may have been wearing flip-flops,

If Dave had been wearing shorts you guys would probably have looked like the Michelin man and Magnum PI walking around together. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on possible supercharged conversion. I took the block with the cylinder rust issues to the machine shop and determined it could be cleaned up @.030" oversize with a slight offset bore in the #1 cylinder which was the worst one. After searching piston types that would fit the bore size and had the correct piston pin diameter, I chose one designed for a Australian Holden 3.8 engine. It had an unusual bowl design that "may" be more detonation resistant. A few photos: the pistons are stock on the right, '94 vin L in the center and the Holden on the left, the damaged #1 cylinder and the new piston installed in that bore for mockup. The block will likely be decked slightly to decrease the piston to deck quench distance after checking the four corners for piston height at the four corners. If decked, compression ratio should come in right at 9:1.

20180209_152825.jpg

0209170933-00.jpg

20180212_133919.jpg