maitken

Unknown limo

Please help identify the make and year of this vehicle which is an extra challenge on this low resolution photo.

Thanks

Mark

CRP Stn 001.jpg

2 minutes ago, Craig Gillingham said:

I thought maybe a 1915 era Packard.

I was thinking that, too.

I think you guys might be right on the Packard just by looking at the tips of the front fenders. The Packards have that extra extension whereas the Wintons have them all as one smooth curve.

packard-model-338-1915-1.jpg

ch1053-d.jpg

I should have waited for Keiser. He's unbeatable at this game. :)

Maybe the height of the car is exaggerated by camera angle, but it almost looks like a hearse or ambulance. I hope the building remains -- that Canadian Pacific R.R. building rivals the Parthenon!

2 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Maybe the height of the car is exaggerated by camera angle, but it almost looks like a hearse or ambulance. I hope the building remains -- that Canadian Pacific R.R. building rivals the Parthenon!

Yes, the building still exists.  It was designed by Francis Rattenbury for the CPR's  Victoria/Vancouver ferry service and is located in Victoria's inner harbour. It recently had a major renovation but was unoccupied at last report. Yes, it rivals the Parthenon because he patterned it after the Temple of Poseidon!  He also designed several other iconic buildings in Victoria and Vancouver.  The car in the picture is older than the building which was built in 1924.

Terry

I think the car is maybe a hotel bus.  Obviously six cylinder and to me the hood looks to have a rounded top. I think were probably many cars that would fit that description.

I think you are on the mark nz.  That is most likely what it is.  Not just for local hotels, but also for those further up Vancouver Island's east coast as well.  There is a 1933 Studebaker Speedway President 7 passenger sedan not far from me that did that until the end of WW2.  CP's own Empress Hotel is within sight of the ferry terminal, but God forbid that their guests should have to make the 5 or 10 minute walk!

Since the building opened in 1924 and appears to be quite new in the photo, the  vehicle in question is probably 10 years old.  There appears to be a woman standing behind the jitney wearing a dress more in keeping with the age of the vehicle rather than the mid/late 1920's which speaks to the challenge of accurately dating a photo.

It looks to have rear entry - a door is open with a set of stairs to the ground. So a bus or similar it probably is.

45 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

It looks to have rear entry - a door is open with a set of stairs to the ground. So a bus or similar it probably is.

The set of stairs to the ground looks more to me like someone's legs as if the person was leaning back against the open doors.

Googled Canadian Pacific R.R. station Victoria yesterday and came up with this intriquing photo:

https://www.gettyimages.fi/detail/news-photo/canadian-pacific-station-victoria-british-columbia-canada-news-photo/463967315?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#canadian-pacific-station-victoria-british-columbia-canada-c1920s-picture-id463967315

Isn't it the same car in the picture?

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Casper Friederich said:

The car in the link has a shorter hood.

4 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Has a luggage rack on the roof.  Looks pretty utilitarian, probably not particularly comfortable.

I would think it would have a bench seat down each side and the passengers would sit touching knees. Probably only a single forward facing seat for the driver. I agree it looks as though there is someone slouched against the rear stairs.