A car guy in Vajenya's Governor's Mansion!

rocketraider

Virginia's newly elected Governor, Ralph Northam, is a car guy! His nicely restored (a lot by himself) 53 Olds participated in the Inauguration, and rumour is he also owns a big-block Corvette. Never hurts to have car people in influential places, no?

Anyone know if Mr Northam is an AACA member?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Virginia's newly elected Governor, Ralph Northam, is a car guy! His nicely restored (a lot by himself) 53 Olds participated in the Inauguration, and rumour is he also owns a big-block Corvette. Never hurts to have car people in influential places, no?

Anyone know if Mr Northam is an AACA member?

Glenn,

The governor's name does not show up in the membership roster - at least right now,

BUT,

we are addressing it.

Thank you for the lead !

• Like 1

Hi Glenn,

Hope things are going well down in Danville. Our newly elected Governor does also own a big block Corvette. We are in the process of getting him a membership. Thanks for always keeping the hobby out front in your thoughts

Best,

Tom

• Like 1

Actually Tom I have moved back to Halifax County, about 20 miles east of Danville. And unfortunately no longer able to vote in 14th House District! :rolleyes: Let's hope Guvnah Ralph will keep a leash on old car legislative shenanigans!

I'm trying to make sure Mr Northam  gets info on the two Oldsmobile Clubs also. The way the Olds guys do their National Meets now, it would be good to have the governor's office participation to help the event staging company select a Virginia location. And I know going in who'd end up getting saddled with the grunt work! you'd think I'd have learned by now...

Remember, Bill Clinton had a Mustang, here's a video of him driving it.  I always thought that was a funny choice of a collector car for him, would have thought he'd want something with a bigger back seat......

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bill+Clinton+mustang&view=detail&mid=E0B9BE50071A7333BEBDE0B9BE50071A7333BEBD&FORM=VIRE 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

Remember, Bill Clinton had a Mustang, here's a video of him driving it.  I always thought that was a funny choice of a collector car for him, would have thought he'd want something with a bigger back seat......

I assume that's why he owned the ElCamino.

I remember seeing Clinton's Mustang on display at the museum atop Petit Jean Mountain outside of Morrilton, Arkansas

when we attended the annual swap meet hosted by MOTAA, each year during the week preceding Fathers Day-

THE MID AMERICA OLD TIME AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION

On 19/01/2018 at 11:08 AM, rocketraider said:

Let's hope Guvnah Ralph will keep a leash on old car legislative shenanigans!

I would imagine there is not much chance of that. You have to have people in the hobby organisations watching the legislation and regulation proposals. The Vintage Car Club of NZ has such a person. Basically, you have to look after your interests. Democracy is a crock for minorities - they only get a look-in if the majority let them - so they have to learn to lobby.

In the '90s, there was a proposal to ban any parking brake that has gears between it and the wheels. There must have been at least one failure. Of course, this would mean many of our prewar cars with Cardan shaft hand brakes would be illegal to use, as would be many light trucks. The VCC rep., who also happened to be Manager of Mitsubishi Trucks NZ, helped have that one scotched fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

We in Vajenya are fortunate to have an AACA group in the state that keeps close tabs on any old-car-related issues. Mr Tom Cox (above) and others have done a great job keeping the legislative hounds at bay.

I've noticed since that 2007 boondoggle that its sponsor has laid low when it comes to old cars. Maybe retaining his seat by less than 600 votes the next election, and the local car people having an obvious hand in that, convinced him to sit still and shut up.

Plus the Car Club Council Of Central Virginia keeps member clubs informed of stuff happening in the General Assembly. Even as a non-member, you can see their home page and check on what politicians are doing that affects the old car hobby.

We also have a choice of antique plates design, so you do not have to run that good looking black and white plate when it looks out of place on 60s/70s cars.  Plus, we have more personalized plates per total plates than any other state (2007 news, might have changed). 16% of the plates on vehicles in 2007 were personalized. You can get the other antique plate  (yellow/blue) personalized, not the black and white (that may have changed also).