Discovery Channel Called Today About the 57 Skyliner

victorialynn2

Hey John : I am curious about real estate prices in the Grants Pass - Medford area. Are they going up quite a bit as they are in W. WA ? 

Some time ago I did some driving around that region checking prices. Very attractive , and even some large outbuildings. GREAT part of the Great Northwest. Winter holds off a while longer , and lingers less. Wide open backroads , well suited for fast , slow , or intermediate cruising velocities. Fantastic and incredibly varied destinations about a BEAUTIFUL half a day's drive from you. What are they asking for the pictured house ? Too bad they yanked the garage.   - Carl 

8 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey John : I am curious about real estate prices in the Grants Pass - Medford area. Are they going up quite a bit as they are in W. WA ? 

Some time ago I did some driving around that region checking prices. Very attractive , and even some large outbuildings. GREAT part of the Great Northwest. Winter holds off a while longer , and lingers less. Wide open backroads , well suited for fast , slow , or intermediate cruising velocities. Fantastic and incredibly varied destinations about a BEAUTIFUL half a day's drive from you. What are they asking for the pictured house ? Too bad they yanked the garage.   - Carl 

I believe John is only about 40 minutes from Grants Pass. 

That's a Wing and Gable style house, like mine, but newer, maybe late 19th century. Mine is an 1853. It is a traditional American farmhouse. The wing probably went up first. Lots of archaeology in those places. I have the whole history of mine sorted out, original kitchen, chimney, and back yard broken pottery pile (under the lawn).

I have been thinking about a home on Grand Cayman and a summer cabin on Ruby Ridge. Diversity.

Bernie

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, CarFreak said:

There are A LOT of bad stories. 

From this specific show? The guy that helps me sell the cars in Oregon said he has a buddy that had a good experience. 

It is true, however, that there are extensive non-disclosure agreements. As you all know, I didn’t go through with the show, although I was thinking I may do a future season. I’m downsizing my house and selling a couple more cars. I am also moving to Medford in a couple weeks for a new managemnt position. Can’t give details until I officially meet the staff. 

I didn’t want to move, but I finally can get back to work and this is what is open. It’s a good opportunity aside from the 250 mile move away from family and friends.  

With all this going on I didn’t have time for the show. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. 

@CarFreak thanks for the heads up. Something was also nagging at me about the extent of those disclosures. “In the entire universe” and “for all times” type wording. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

On another note... if any of my Oregon area friends want to help me, or know someone who can transport the Skyliner from McMinnville to Medford, please let me know. My car hauler is only 16’ and too small. It will have to be over a weekend. If so, let me know the charge also. It’s about 255 miles south. 

Thanks, V

On 3/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, CarFreak said:

There are A LOT of bad stories. 

Car Freak, even if you signed a non-disclosure agreement

about your own bad experience, can you tell us about

OTHER situations?

If this show treats cars or owners badly, somehow the

information should come out.  If non-disclosure agreements

are used to protect wrong-doing, they themselves are bad.

If these show promoters are genuinely interested in cars,

I hope this is one show that can turn out well in most instances.

CarFreak,

I agree, please share more information.  I was put on the "stand by" list for this show.  I had several call back interviews, and am still on the list as far as I know.  Money or fame is never a factor, normally they cost me money, and time/vacation for me.

I did find these people know absolutely nothing about cars!  They think they are just annoying props for a show, with even more annoying owners.  That said they use them as such, expect scratches, grinding gears, basically little respect for the cars at all.  Oh they will promise you the moon.

I have had cars in "Public Enemies" (9 days on set) and "Batman" (1 day) both were good experiences but be ready for 14 hour days, with no breaks, and stick within eyesight of you car, in case they want to move it (I gave them my cell number and locked the car when I was not there).  My friend had his 1933 Oldsmobile on the set, they asked to use it for a "Star Car" they drove it off.  The next day they returned it with the white wall mounted in (director did not like the white walls so they took it to a tire shop and had the tires flipped around) needless to say they pealed off the paint on all 6 wheels.  $1500 worth of painting and some trips to the body shop and tire shop, his car was back to normal.  (they would not pay him for his time just the repairs).

1933 Olds.jpg

Public Enemies - Graham.jpg

I have supplied vehicles for two major movies , one major minor , and one minor minor. If you want a peep through the keyhole into movie making , read "Fools Die" by Mario Puzo. If you like to go out for Chineese  food , don't go back in the kitchen.   - Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Graham Man said:

I did find these people know absolutely nothing about cars! 

I noticed that from the beginning. I even tried watching one of those shows with the sound turned off and it shows through. Victoria, consider yourself lucky. I have a little game I play of flipping through pay TV channels to see if I can go all the way only finding commercials. Once in a while Discovery will not be running ads promoting their own shows and one of the car shows will be on. It appears that over time they have gone from ignorant to goofy.

If you ever decide to grab those moments of fame, think about a plausible but extremely outrageous bunch of bull to tell them. They earned it.

One of the guys who came around to our cruise nights in the 1980's was a cop. He told a newspaper reporter that he had salvaged parts from accident sites to keep the costs down on his 1940 Chevy street rod. THAT newspaper article hung in the restaurant for a long time. You know that the top mechanism for the Skyliner was copied from the X-15 canopy plans, don't you?

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I read the disclosure and it’s extensive and has repercussions if you violate it. Please don’t ask him to give anymore info or you could jeopardize him. He can’t really talk about anything about the show even if it was other people’s stuff. There were phrases like “in all the universe” and “till the end of time” or the like. He can not disclose. 

Bernie, I didn’t know that. 

I feel like I dodged a bullet and am very glad I didn’t participate! I am very sorry for the people who had damage. That is terrible. 

In the end it was just too much work and hassle and I didn’t really want to be on tv anyway. I just wanted to talk about my father’s love of cars. It would have crushed me if the car had been damaged and I have way too much going on to deal with that drama. I would have probably lost it on them and had my own episode from it. ?

Part of section 35

CONFIDENTIALITY

9.    Whether or not you are selected to be a participant on the Program, you shall keep in strictest confidence and shall not disclose to any other applicant, participant or other third party at any time (i.e., prior to, during, or after the taping or exhibition of any episode of the Program) any information or materials of any kind, including without limitation, any information or materials concerning or relating to Producer or to Network, the business of Producer or Network, any program produced by Producer and/or exhibited by network, including, without limitation, any information concerning or relating to the Program, the Program’s applicants, the participants, the location(s) of the Program, the events contained in the Program, and/or the outcome of any contest in or episode of the Program, that you read, hear or otherwise acquire or learn in connection with or as a result of your applying to be a participant on the Program or (if you are selected to be a participant) as the result of your experiences as a participant on the Program (collectively, the “Information and Materials”). You acknowledge and agree that the Information and Materials are confidential and the exclusive property of Producer and/or Network.  At no time will you ever, directly or indirectly, divulge in any manner or use or permit others to use any of the Information and Materials.

I am going with our forum is somewhat anonymous...  I am just glad I did not get involved. 

I am also guessing the transport people had no idea what they were getting into.  Not to offer excuses, but there is no possible way they would know how to start and drive these unique historic cars.

11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

To get an idea of the disclosures, scroll down to sections 35 & 36 of the application. The ones you sign after they accept you are even more extensive. You can't say anything about anything even if it doesn't concern you.

https://untitleddiscoverycarseries.castingcrane.com/

You know I was kidding about the X-15.

That is quite an agreement. You know, if I was given an agreement and it contained a paragraph written in all capital letters I would see a red flag saying "insanity" just like I did a couple minutes ago. Somehow my next thought was, did Ingmar Bergman sign an agreement like that when he directed The Seventh Seal  .

Have you noticed how quiet things have been since the AACA first announced it was cuddling up to THOSE type of people? "Kids your Mother and Father wouldn't let you play with." Today it is intuitive.

Bernie

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

You know I was kidding about the X-15.

Have you noticed how quiet things have been since the AACA first announced it was cuddling up to THOSE type of people? "Kids your Mother and Father wouldn't let you play with." Today it is intuitive.

Bernie

I didn’t know. ? I should have know though!

I haven’t been on enough lately to notice much. Preoccupied with the new job, the move, dad’s stuff. Don’t have time for much else. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 7:06 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

We have another member who will be on the show with his Keller!  I am very happy to see AACA members get this opportunity and hope that the show is a good one.  If they concentrate on the stories, the cars and the people involved and not on the value of the cars it will be a show I will watch.

I saw him tonight on episode 2 with his AACA shirt on! Beautiful car!

Thanks, Victoria.

I'm glad you like the show;  I haven't seen it.

The Discovery Channel was begun as an educational

channel focusing on science, technology, and history;

but now its programming is pseudo-scientific and has an 

abundance of so-called reality shows.

Like a number of channels that once were educational,

this channel has devolved.  Let's  hope they can get back

some truly good programming.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Thanks, Victoria.

I'm glad you like the show;  I haven't seen it.

The Discovery Channel was begun as an educational

channel focusing on science, technology, and history;

but now its programming is pseudo-scientific and has an 

abundance of so-called reality shows.

Like a number of channels that once were educational,

this channel has devolved.  Let's  hope they can get back

some truly good programming.

I agree. While I think this show has some merit over others, I agree with your general assessment of the channel. They could still do a better car show IMHO. 

I wish the media would return return to a better class of programming. Especially the so called “news”. I miss reporters who reported news and not gossip for the sake of ratings and attention. 

I just watched an episode and a half online.  Not bad, as the appraisers seem to actually know the cars pretty well and give you some good tips about assessing condition (although they appraised cars I don't know well, so maybe they were off). 

The most annoying part is that if you watch it on the Discovery Channel's website, logging in through your cable provider, they have a somewhat crazy number of commercials.  Or at least there were a lot for me: something like 10 commercials per commercial break, with 4 or 5 commercial breaks.  At that rate you're spending 1/3 of the time watching commercials, which is just way too much.  [UPDATE: For reasons I don't follow, it seems that on some of the episodes you can click through the commercials but that on others you can't.  Obviously no problem if you can jump over them, but it's a lot to watch if you can't.]

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)