Discovery Channel Called Today About the 57 Skyliner

victorialynn2

A while back, one of the Moderators, possibly Matt, had posted about an upcoming show. On a lark, I wrote to them about dad's 57. They called me today and want to do an interview via Facetime. It sounds like a neat show, where they talk about the cars and the story of how they came to get them, etc. I'm not sure I will get through the interview without crying while trying to tell my dad's story. I will probably blow it, however, it sounds like a neat show even if the 57 isn't on it. 

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

A while back, one of the Moderators, possibly Matt, had posted about an upcoming show. On a lark, I wrote to them about dad's 57. They called me today and want to do an interview via Facetime. It sounds like a neat show, where they talk about the cars and the story of how they came to get them, etc. I'm not sure I will get through the interview without crying while trying to tell my dad's story. I will probably blow it, however, it sounds like a neat show even if the 57 isn't on it. 

Good for you Vicki! Let us know if they do interview you please?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Good for you Vicki! Let us know if they do interview you please?

It is Wednesday am. I will let you know how it goes. I’m worried I will ugly cry when I talk about my dad. Haha

They would ship it to LA the end of February and have me go down if they do a story. 

The 57 should be the first episode with you telling the story. It would guarantee them a great following as it is a great looking car and owner plus you know what you are talking about! Have fun don’t worry about tears and be sure to let us all know when we should watch it. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

The 57 should be the first episode with you telling the story. It would guarantee them a great following as it is a great looking car and owner plus you know what you are talking about! Have fun don’t worry about tears and be sure to let us all know when we should watch it. 

Dave S 

We will see. Not a done deal. 

I really want to focus in his love of cars, starting as a teen growing up in Dearborn and how he restored so many to original condition for the next generation. The focus is the 57 and it is a good example of this. I hope that’s the spin they want to put on it. He’s been a great keeper of so many cars. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

I just finished the interview. They are doing 12 episodes initially. They will edit the interview and submit it to the producers for consideration. 

I did tear tear up talking about my father but was able to get through it. I’d say with so few episodes, there’s a very small chance of the 57 being chosen, however I do think this is a great format for a car show and I look forward to seeing it in when it airs. 

I’m so glad that’s over now!

They asked me why this car is special to my father and I and what I think it’s worth. They’d ship it to La to appraise on air. I reminds me of Antiques Road Show but with cars. 

• Like 3

VL2. From what we know about you, your dad’s passion and the car, it will be a great episode. Don’t worry if you do not hear anything for awhile as these shows are usually sold to networks at two or three conventions each year. They may make one or two plus show the potential future episodes to possible buyers. If sold then they will produce the rest of the issues. My daughter has been a supervising producer for a TV network for years. She gets pitched hundreds of shows a year. Hope it works out. Have fun. 

Dave S 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Thank you, I'm slipping behind on the new innovations.

I think I'm the only guy with a rotary dialer on my old cell phone.:D

Definitely YES to your first sentence , Bob. And it continues down hill from there : Definitely NO to the second sentence. ATT has this "Wireless home phone" device into which you plug your conventional desk telephone , or wall telephone , etc. and then operate over ATT cellular. It operates from a 5 volt power supply plugged in to your 110 outlet. But it has a backup battery built in with a couple hours or so reserve capability in case of power outage. When they came out , I was the first kid on the block to have one. I plugged a red desk set into it , and carried it in to public places ; pubs for example. Prominently displayed , the "Hot Line" gambit was quite the ice breaker when your friend made a surreptitious call to it from his cell phone. So the thing rings , you answer with theatrical gusto after waiting several rings longer than necessary , and the fun begins ! Sure it works ! Hey ! Try it ! "V.I.P." , right ? Those things are capable of greater DX than a conventional GSM cell phone due to antenna design , and ability to use ground plane enhancement. Set the unit on the trunk lid or hood of your car , or even the seat of one of those metal folding chairs. Be the only one in the hunting camp , (or some other cell phone challenged remote location) , with cell phone connectivity. The little on board battery is not capable of sustained operation , so I bought a 5 volt battery pak to fuel it. But somehow it would eventually zap the internal Chineese battery , making the thing inoperable.  I turned my attention elsewhere , prematurely , but there may be a way to make a robust , sustainable , portable system out of it. 

Good going , Vic ! I really hope you make the cut. It will really be enjoyable to see "one of our own" become a Star ! And I believe those loving tears will enhance the impact of your contribution. It has been great for all of us to get to know you , and admire your adaptation to the learning curve. Best of luck with the series , and with your continuing dedication to finding appreciative new homes for your dad's automotive hobby pieces.     - Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Spelling and punctuation (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, C Carl said:

Thank you, I'm slipping behind on the new innovations.

When our local Radio Shack closed up I bought out their entire stock of wireless cables. I expect they are going to be hard to find in the very near future.

Bernie

• Haha 1

Two of my favorite Skyliner stories. First had a friend that bought a new Ford on the odd number years starting in 1949. When 57 rolled around he bought a Skyliner and would have run it off a cliff if a light pole guy wire hadn't interferred (top stuck half way when storm came up) and the second was a 1959 (last year) that sat outside my shop for several years. It was given to me by a house painter that was literally pulling the engine under a shade tree. When the engine was high in the air something broke and it crashed through the windshield and also crushed a big "V" in the top of the dash. A well know Y-block guy asked about it and I told him I'd take $200 since it had a narrow 9" rear end. Just for kicks he put a battery in it and the top cycled perfectly.

• Like 1

Many of you asked to me to keep you updated. I received another call from Discovery requesting confirmation of logistical information and I was told the chances are “pretty good” that the 57 will be on the show. She couldn’t tell me exactly the percentage who are interviewed vs. chosen, but she was encouraging. 

Final decisions will be made in a week or two it sounds like. We will see. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Many of you asked to me to keep you updated. I received another call from Discovery requesting confirmation of logistical information and I was told the chances are “pretty good” that the 57 will be on the show. She couldn’t tell me exactly the percentage who are interviewed vs. chosen, but she was encouraging. 

Final decisions will be made in a week or two it sounds like. We will see. 

Sounds promising.  Based on your posts here, I'm guessing that you're an ideal guest for their show.   Assuming it all works out, I look forward to seeing it!

• Like 2

They asked me if I had special requests or needs. I guess I should have asked for only green M&M’s or something to sound like I fit into Hollywood. ???

I’m getting nervous that this may actually happen. I think it would be interesting to see a back stage look at Hollywood though. 

• Like 4

I also applied and had an interview. Was called to get a time to go to LA late Feb. One other person contacted me via Facebook and wanted to know how I vetted the people. I checked Michael on IMDB and IPC television. I forgot the name of the woman who called, do you have her name?

Burbank USA Today.jpg

Edited by j762538 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, j762538 said:

I also applied and had an interview. Was called to get a time to go to LA late Feb. One other person contacted me via Facebook and wanted to know how I vetted the people. I checked Michael on IMDB and IPC television. I forgot the name of the woman who called, do you have her name?

Burbank USA Today.jpg

Congrats! Michelle Redwine initially contacted me. We emailed also and I found her LinkedIn and IMDB. This last gal I forget her name. 

They said it it would be mid to late February, but I didn’t get the impression it’s a done deal. Do you already have your travel arrangements?