Pat Buckley

2018 Grand National Registration

The 2018 Grand National Meet registration can be printed from members.aaca.org.

2018 Membership dues must be paid to log-in.

To register your vehicle for the 2018 Grand National the vehicle must have achieved Senior Award status in any year prior to 2018.         

• Like 1

I'd be up for attending but I can't tell from the info form if there is trailer parking fee. Anyone know for sure?..........Bob

It says on the entry, 75 dollars for perferred parking at the host hotel and 25 dollars for parking at another location and 0 dollars for Saturday only parking. So, there you are, you can go

Edited by real61ss
added sentence (see edit history)

All I saw was trailer parking at Westmoreland fair grounds. No cost info.............Bob

2 hours ago, real61ss said:

It says on the entry, 75 dollars for perferred parking at the host hotel

Surely you jest...............Bob

Also: For those of you who sent in Activity Request Forms for this Meet, they will be mailed as soon as we get them from the printer- they will all be mailed out the same day. 

Thank you and we appreciate your patience,

Kristin 

14 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Surely you jest...............Bob

With regard to Trailer parking the Grand National  Meet Registration Page shows:

Trailer Parking at the host hotel is $75 for the entire event. 

Trailer Parking at the Westmoreland Fairgrounds is $25 for the entire event.

Saturday Only Parking at the Westmoreland Fairgrounds is FREE.

Click here for the ===>>>   2018 Grand National Meet Tri-Fold Brochure

FYI, this morning I called the Ramada Inn to ask about rooms. I was told that they still have rooms for Thursday and Saturday nights but on Friday night there are NO ROOMS available. BTW, when she said "No Rooms Available" I asked her to clarify and she she said she meant there are No Rooms Available in the entire hotel not just the block of AACA rooms set aside for that weekend. She recommended to call back periodically to see if any rooms become available for Friday night. Be advised that there are 4 other hotels listed on the Meet Brochure. Anyone needing a room should probably book one sooner rather than later.

Charlie

I have my reservations at the host hotel and asked about trailer parking charge. I was told I wouldn't be charged to park my trailer as a guest. I told the girl I talked to that the web site shows a $75 parking fee and she said no fee for guest. What's the story??

Simple question,why can,t we have our cars judged for Grand National level a regular meet .

It,s a 2200 mile trip for me . 

Ken

Just Talked to Shane at the Ramada and he assured me the hotel doesn't charge for trailer parking. Said others had called about the same thing and seems to be some confusion.

I HAVE SENT THIS THREAD TO THE MEET CHAIRMAN.  AS TO THE QUESTION OF WHY NO AGNM JUDGING:  LOTS OF FACTORS GO INTO IT INCLUDING THE EXPERIENCE OF THE JUDGING TEAMS, TIME BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY THIS MEET WAS DESIGNED TO BE OUR MOST PRESTIGIOUS MEET OF THE YEAR IN TERMS OF THE JUDGING FIELD.  IT HAS BEEN EXTREMELY WELL RECEIVED OVER THE YEARS AND SOMETHING THE MAJORITY OF OUR MEMBERS SEEM TO ENJOY.  KEN, YOUR QUESTION IS LOGICAL BUT JUST NOTHING THAT ANYONE HAS EVER REQUESTED OF US AT LEAST IN THE 15 YEARS I HAVE BEEN HERE. 

SORRY FOR THE CAPS...IN A HURRY.

From the Meet Chairman...he answered it a few days ago but circumstances prevented me from posting:

Hello fellow members!  My name is John Kuhns Jr., and I'm the chairman of the 2018 Grand National Meet in Greensburg, PA.  I just wanted to take some time to address the questions with the trailer parking.  We have two different areas for trailer parking.  The host hotel (The Ramada Inn and Suites) and the Westmoreland County Fairgrounds.  Both locations are approximately 3.5 miles from the show field.  The Host Hotel has extremely limited parking availability.  The cost for the preferred parking at the host hotel is $75 and you MUST have a permit issued from our club to park there regardless of whether or not you are staying at the hotel.  Anyone who heard otherwise was misinformed, and the hotel staff has been made aware of this.  The parking at the fairgrounds is $25 for the weekend and free if you are coming in on Saturday morning.  Both trailer parking areas will have security.  If there are any other questions or issues please feel free to call me at (412) 558-0994 M-W-F 6-8PM EST, this is the best way to reach me.  I seldom use the computer, but always answer my phone.  I look forward to everyone coming and having a great time.  Thank you!

For those of us who don't have a car eligible to show,

but who will come to see the cars, is there free parking

for visitors' cars?  (I certainly hope so.)

I will not be bringing a driver car if attending. Before I apply is there any provisions for dropping a car at Show field and bringing me back from Westmoreland parking

Robert

Hello All! This is John Kuhns Jr.  the Chairman of the Grand Nation Meet.  I can't stress this enough, I rarely use the computer and the very best way to reach me is by phone (412) 558-0994 M-W-F 6 to 8PM EST. I just wanted to take the time and respond to some of the new questions.  There will be free spectator parking at the show site on Saturday June 2, 2018.  The host hotel is TOTALLY BOOKED.  Additional hotels in the area have been blocked off and reservations are still available at the Hampton Inn, The Springhill Suites and the Holiday Inn Express.  There will be no areas at the Show Field for loading and unloading.  If we end up letting one person do it its not fair to everyone else.  Unfortunately, that just the way the show field is set up.  I believe in being transparent and upfront with everyone to avoid issues moving forwad.  I want everyone who registers to come and have a great time and I'm really looking forward to the event! 

FYI, I met John Kuhns Jr, The Grand National Meet Chairman,  and his Dad John Sr. at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia this past weekend. VERY NICE fellas. Given that John Jr. rarely uses a computer I thought I would pass on some of the information that we spoke about concerning the 2018 Grand National.

As of this past week (02/09), they have over 300 vehicles currently registered for this meet. He also reminded me that there is a LIMIT of 500 Pre-registered cars for this meet which is in the meet brochure and a few other places.. Once the limit of 500 cars has been reached they will not be able to accept any more registrations. The region hosting the Grand National wants all participants to have a great time so they want to avoid having cars packed too tightly together on the show field hence the limit of 500 cars.  

So, it is STRONGLY recommended that anyone wishing to attend this year's Grand National and have their car on the show field had better get a hotel room and get their vehicle registered  AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Heck, I ran into one AACA Member I know that registered for this meet at the annual meeting with the help of another member and his smartphone.

FYI, the host hotel has been fully booked for a few weeks now. From what I understand some of the other hotels on the list for this meet are also booked up. Judges who plan to judge at this meet had better get their hotel accommodations AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as well. 

If you need a hotel and all the hotels on the meet's tri-fold list of hotels are full, check out the list of  New Grand National Hotels posted on 02/12. If all else fails you could try giving John a call at the phone number he listed above on the days and times he listed about available hotels. If you have other questions regarding the Grand National give John a call as well, we would be happy to answer your questions.

Charlie

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, ols car dog said:

Simple question,why can,t we have our cars judged for Grand National level a regular meet .

It,s a 2200 mile trip for me . 

Ken

Here's another option....

If you don't want to trailer your car all that distance for a Grand National Meet, contact the Vice President of National Activities and put in to host a Grand National Meet.  It would solve your problem as well as promote your region and community.  I know in many cases the Vice President of National Activities often have to scrounge to find regions who are willing to host an event.

Truth be told, the western Grand National Meets are usually a smaller meet and the competition usually isn't as stiff.  Of course the only time our '42 Ford fire truck ever faced any competition was at a Grand National Meet in Kansas and there were three fire trucks in the class.

The Lagniappe chapter of the Louisiana Region just did a national meet in November of 2015

It took almost 2 years to plan and implement the meet.

It was a financial success and we helped a lot of charities.

We are are small club with app.25 active members 

We did get help from other chapters in La.

Since I posted my question about  Gran National judging.........

I think maybe a 5 to10 percent  limit for GN at a regular meet  wouldn't hurt any one 

first come ,first served.

lets see if the GN this years limit of 500 cars is exceeded and by how many.

I have two sort of non-driving cars I would like to enter but logistics of two vehicles are almost impossible and they are both in the same class.  I would enter one of them as I have been led to believe that there was discussion in Philadelphia of a proceedure whereby a car could be placed on the showfield late Friday afternoon then take the trailer down to the trailer parking lot and drop it off.  If this is correct what about picking the car up Saturday afternoon after the show?

I realize I am but one entry but I am aware of another recent National award car that the owner has the same driving issues.

Robert

36 minutes ago, Robert Street said:

I have two sort of non-driving cars I would like to enter but logistics of two vehicles are almost impossible and they are both in the same class.  I would enter one of them as I have been led to believe that there was discussion in Philadelphia of a proceedure whereby a car could be placed on the showfield late Friday afternoon then take the trailer down to the trailer parking lot and drop it off.  If this is correct what about picking the car up Saturday afternoon after the show?

I realize I am but one entry but I am aware of another recent National award car that the owner has the same driving issues.

Robert

Robert, I STRONGLY suggest that you CALL John Kuhns Jr. Tonight or Wednesday night of this week and ask him your questions directly. His phone number is listed above in this thread. That is the only way you can get your questions answered promptly and correctly then you can decide how you want to proceed. 

BTW, I can identify with the logistics of putting two cars on an AACA show field when you are the only person driving them. I did that for the AACA Meet in my hometown. It was one LONG day for me and something that I will probably not try again anytime soon.

Just curious, what do you mean when you say "sort of non-driving cars"? 

Charlie

7 hours ago, charlier said:

Robert, I STRONGLY suggest that you CALL John Kuhns Jr. Tonight or Wednesday night of this week and ask him your questions directly. His phone number is listed above in this thread. That is the only way you can get your questions answered promptly and correctly then you can decide how you want to proceed. 

BTW, I can identify with the logistics of putting two cars on an AACA show field when you are the only person driving them. I did that for the AACA Meet in my hometown. It was one LONG day for me and something that I will probably not try again anytime soon.

Just curious, what do you mean when you say "sort of non-driving cars"? 

Charlie

Charlie thanks for the tip of calling Mr. Kuhns.  We had a nice conversation and that region is very lucky to have a forward thinking person organizing the Grand National event like him.  To make a long story real short we were able to work something out that I can live with the logistics.  Oh, except I CANNOT bring two cars and am not attempting it here as probably would have the "Fred Sanford' big one if I tried it at this show.

Robert

The arrangements for this Grand National perfectly confirm my views as to why early cars show up at our meets less and less. No unloading at the show field Saturday morning, trailer parking 3.5 miles away. Why would I even try to bring out a real early car under those conditions? Seriously, I would like answers. Seems like show organizers do everything they can do to discourage early cars from participating. We. are restoring a 1909 vehicle. The company only built 14 cars. The car is poor;y designed but still historically significant. No way would we park 3.5 miles from the show field and try to get this car thru Saturday morning show traffic. Does anyone even think about the real early cars? 3.5 miles is nothing to a '57 Chevy but it's an entirely different story with a poorly designed 1909 one cylinder car. I bring up these concerns every time the subject of how to get more early cars at our shows is discussed yet nothing ever happens.

• Like 1

Jeff, my understanding there is an accommodation that can be made.  Whether it is Hershey with a special parking lot for early cars and race cars or virtually all other meets the logistics seem to work out.  This is just a tough venue and not the norm.  As a brass car guy myself I totally understand the issues not only with some early cars but also some of the other vehicles that should not be on modern roads like a few of the early delivery trucks that go under 20 MPH.

• Like 1