I.D. this brass-era Buick?

Pete Phillips

Can someone identify the year and model # of this brass-era Buick?  The photo is from a recent event in South Africa. Engine is up front under the hood, so it is not a model F or G. I don't think it is a model 10, either, given the straight lines of the rear fender. Model 10 rear fender has the same curvature as the tire. It does not have the rear fender kick-out for the chain drive sprocket. Has a "mother-in-law" seat  instead of a gas tank behind the front seat. Has the blue and white rectangular radiator badge with the BUICK script angled across it.

SA _12.jpg

SA _13.jpg

All good points from those who already have posted.

It seems as though this may be a combination of parts. 1910-1912. The radiator shell is much deeper than a Buick. The body is lacking detail so I believe it was made up. The emblem on the radiator not like any I have seen. The brass shell looks to be  a modern replica.  

The 1910 Model 10 runabout I offered on near me in VA. 3 years ago seemed to be somewhat of a compiled car. The owner who at the time was 90 swore that when he restored it in the 1980s that it was exhaustively researched and was as correct as they come. We had already discussed that car on the forum at that time.

DSCF3521.thumb.JPG.797a71bc77bd5b79a26bdb465d868c49.JPGThis car at first glance looks correct.  But as pointed out these cars had a tubular drop center front axle. The radiator shell would not have had the round 1911 Buick badge which predated the rectangular one.

DSCF3516.thumb.JPG.3b42ec050ff6e6b7609dd50b1aba9f05.JPGThe magneto switch is not compatible to the car and the spark and throttle quadrant is of the 1911-1912 style. Other items were also in question. He insisted the car ran great. Having made repeated arrangements to drive the car we finally had an appointment to do so. When we arrived the car was stored in a trailer for over 3 years and no attempt had been made to even prepare it to run. So no test drive.... Having said this I would still would love to have had the car to drive. Just not at his price which was...."we will start at $20,000 and dicker up". The owner and his wife passed within a year and the son who can not drive was hesitant to sell .. He was afraid someone would Hot Rod it!. I still call every year.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)

I agree it might be a bitsa car, as it does apparently have a four cylinder engine, but it has the cowl that seems unique to the Model 14...the Model 10 had a rounded cowl, and the other models had some variation of rounded, flat, or scuttle cowls.

Yes, I've heard the story of the car in Virginia....dickering up seems to be a tough row to hoe.....

With the car in the RSA, where might it have been manufactured? When McLaughlin started production, the first ten years were known as McLaughlin, before becoming McLaughlin-Buick, so this is unlikely a Canadian car, unless it was restored with more readily available parts. 

• Like 1

"Brother Shaw" told me he thought it was a model 10, but I questioned the shape of the rear fenders, and he made the good point that a South African car like this may be an assemblage of whatever parts were available, as has been stated by others above. Thanks to all for the constructive comments.

Pete

• Like 1

Also, the Model 10 was built for more than just one year.  In regard to the rear fenders, my friend, Scott Patton, here in Hutchinson has a 1908 Model 10 and its rear fenders are straight to the rear.  I do not think that this car has been messed with as I remember it from the early 1950's looking then as it does today.  Just my observation here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

10 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

In regard to the rear fenders, my friend, Scott Patton, here in Hutchinson has a 1908 Model 10 and its rear fenders are straight to the rear.

What I was trying to point out is the rear fenders, on the car we are trying to identify, are a straight line for their front half. Now look at the front part of the rear fenders of a model 10 (see photo). They are curved around the front half of the rear wheel, not straight.5a5eb844df065_1910model10.jpg.c1d66d014a66bb48fbbb9916b50541f2.jpg