My grampa’s Buicks

RiKi5156B

In the late 50s I was only 8 or9,my mom,me and my brother and sister would go berry picking with my gramma and grampa. He would come pick us up in his 53 Roadmaster sedan. At 5 in the morning I dreaded the sound of that car coming up the hill. His big comfy Buick allowed me to fall back asleep for the trip to the berry fields of Gresham Oregon. After a day in the fields it was time to head home. No a/c in this car so it was all windows down for the trip home. Us backseaters fought to get the passenger side or middle at least because......... my grandpa  was a tobacco chewer and spit out on the way home! The car had power windows that were slow at best so you had to watch him and anticipate the onslaught. Rest of the ride was uneventful and I would fall asleep again, berry picking was hard on a preteen. The roadmaster was his dd and he had a 51or2 Special 2 dr hdtp and 2 53Skylarks for occasional use. In the summer or just on a nice day I would ride my bike about 3 miles to Grandma and Grandpas because he would let me wash one of his cars. It was an honor. Between him and my dad(who hated Buicks) they inspired me to a work ethic that I still carry to this day. My grandpa was very special and his love for us and his Buicks will always be with me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2