Sign in to follow this  
Teamsterdug

'38 Buick Assist Straps and Restoration.....

I have a '38 Buick special and the interior was redone some years before I obtained it. I have seen assist straps in some Buicks above the rear seat just behind the hinge side of the suicide doors. Does anyone know if these would be correct on my car? If so, is there a hole machined in the body to accept them? I would hate to damage my nice headliner just trying to find out. I have picked up a pair of assist straps but they will need to be restored. Anyone know of a place that restores them? Can you get tiny little pieces replated? I have never had anything smaller than a door handle replated? Thanks in advance for any help or leads on the restoration or installation of the assist straps. Teamsterdug@aol.com

The assist straps were in all 1938 Buick sedan models. They do not attach in the headliner area, but in the post between the rear door and the rear quarter window. I would suggest contacting Hampton Coach to see if they reupholster them. The small parts can be plated (many good platers, my latest successful dealing with a plater was in Melbourne, Florida). If you don't have the parts you'll probably need to find a parts car or somebody breaking up a parts car. You would have to ask an upholsterer, but I do believe there is a recepter behind the upholstery to screw the assist straps in. I have a junk 39 Buick in the woods up in Virginia, and when cold weather comes, around Christmas I could see what is left inside of it. Now, tho, too many varmints, like snakes, might be making it a home.

Thanks for the tips. I've had several people email me with pictures and such showing were to start looking for the receptor. Thanks though. You know, here around Chicago we just use junkyard dogs. shocked.gif I'll bet junkyard snakes work even better! crazy.gif No, I wouldn't have you marching through the woods this time of year either. We shall live to post another day! Thanks again.