Should Craigslist ads be deleted?

Ronnie

I started a new ongoing topic in the Buy/Sell for Craigslist ads. Thank you guys for posting in it. I find some of them interesting.

After the Craigslist ad expires, or has been removed, should I delete the old ad? I've been marking them as EXPIRED when I notice they are no longer valid but expired ads are adding up pretty quick. Should ads that are no longer valid be deleted, marked as expired or just left alone?

34 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

If you leave the posts where photos and content including phone numbers are there, then that can be accessed later on and Reattas may find new homes for lower prices. 

That might be a good criteria for deciding if they should be deleted. If there is no contact information posted with the link to the Craigslist ad there isn't much value to leaving the ad after it has expired or has been deleted that I can see. Comments?

Unfortunately a moderator doesn't have the ability to set dates for posts to automatically be removed. About all I can do is edit posts, delete posts/topics and move topics and posts. Almost anything else needs to be done by someone higher up the ladder than me like a forum administrator or staff member.

I don't see how saving all the Craigslist ads would be helpful. Below is one example of one that I think should be deleted and we have more like it. There was nothing wrong with it when it was posted. It had value to anyone who read it. But once the ad expired there isn't any data to see if you are doing research. I'm still open to suggestions...

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/303186-reattas-for-sale-on-craigslist-ongoing-topic/?do=findComment&comment=1684640

Sorry, I thought the link I posted would take you directly to the ad in the Buy/SellI was referring to.

I agree that a lot of the ads, especially the way  you post them, might have future value to people viewing them in the future. Going back and cleaning up every two weeks might not be too hard right now but I think it will get to be a real chore to go through the ads to clean them up once the thread gets really long. My goal of starting this topic was to try to come up with a way to make the CL topic manageable as it gets longer. IF we don't do something people first reading it are going to have to do a lot of scrolling through it and are going to be disappointed to find a lot of invalid CL ads.

The ideal situation would be for the forum member who posted the CL ad to include relevant information, like contact info, in the ad when they post it. OR go back and check the ad they posted and delete it if need be. I don't think the latter is going to happen.

I had no problem with you making numerous posts in the Buy/Sell as you and others did. My reason for recommending CL ads go in one thread was to keep forum member ads from getting lost in the CL ads. I have no problem with going back to the old way of posting CL ads if that is what everyone would rather do. I would like to see forum member ads be the priority but I will go along with whatever works best.

If the ad copy (with pics) is added to the posting, and not just a link to the original ad, I can see leaving it for future reference purposes. If just a link is posted, then that post should be deleted once the link is dead. I do wonder if there is a way within the forum software to set a thread to automatically show newer posts at the top of a thread,  and move old ones down. The default view is that posts are shown in the order made, oldest to newest. I think that would be helpful for the CL ad thread if it is possible.

12 minutes ago, KDirk said:

I do wonder if there is a way within the forum software to set a thread to automatically show newer posts at the top of a thread,  and move old ones down. The default view is that posts are shown in the order made, oldest to newest. I think that would be helpful for the CL ad thread if it is possible.

That would be helpful. I took a look at it and unfortunately I don't have the ability to do that.

Ronnie, is it something a higher lever admin can do, or just simply not within the feature set of the forum software? That specific type of thread would benefit from newest posts going at the top, rather than than conventional way of presenting the posts in descending order. I know some forums let users select ascending, rather than descending, order as the default view, but that then affects all threads and is set in the user control panel usually. Just wondering.

Topics can be sorted in ascending or descending, order but I can find no way to do that with posts. I don't have access to the settings on this forum software but when I looked on my forum software there are no settings an administrator could make that would change the way posts are sorted. If there was a software setting to do that I think it would have to be forum wide or nothing.

Thanks for all the replies. I just read through them all. There seems to be a common thread to what everyone thinks should be done - that is to leave the CL ads that have information that could be used by someone in the future and delete the ones that only have links to CL ads that have expired..That's the way I'm going to handle invalid CL ads in the future.  That doesn't mean there are going to be any hard and fast rules. I'm just going to use common sense to remove the ads that have no value once they have expired or have been removed from Craigslist. Ideally the person who posts the CL ad will delete it if they see it has expired before I get around to doing it. :)

• Like 3

On 1/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, Ronnie said:

that is to leave the CL ads that have information that could be used by someone in the future

and to that end I personally think it could be of benefit if those posting ads to this"Reattas for Sale on CL"   thread would  take the time to right click and  "Copy Image" and copy text along with the phone number when present and paste it along with the CL link.  Especially with the Reatta, it could act as somewhat of an archive of the Reatta that are out there, prices etc. For instance I have always found it interesting to look back at old Bugles at what '54 Buicks use to sell for.  I really see no problem with leaving all the ads. All one has to do is click on the dot just to the left of the "Reattas for Sale on CL" and they will be taken to the first unread post. Either that or click on the date/time to the far right, same thing. Of course if Ronnie wants to remove any that don't contain the info of the ad periodically that would help maintain a cleaner house.  I just did this in the "Reatta for sale on CL" thread of an ad I thought would be good to archive, as it contains the manifest. See post #17

Edited by MrEarl
chane right to left (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I just did this in the "Reatta for sale on CL" thread of an ad I thought would be good to archive, as it contains the manifest. See post #17

It would be good if all the ads posted in the CL thread had information like you added to your post. The thread would be like a historic record of Reatta prices on CL. A lot of the ads contain little or no information once the CL ad has expired or is removed. That is the ones that I've deleted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1