1953 Super Radiator Question

g-g-g0

So after having a couple of radiators at a radiator shop and determining that both were beyond repair, I have couple of questions.

Has anyone used Classic Radiator in Farmingdale, NY that advertises in the Bugle. They say their radiator is a direct replacement however when I spoke to them and indicated their was a fitting in the lower tank for the transmission "cooler" (such as it was), was told initially that '53 did not have a transmission cooler so am a bit skeptical. Their  Bugle add does not show a '53 Radiator. A '52 Roadmaster core appears to be the same as the '53 core but the '52 did not have the "cooler"

Also I have been quoted $700 to $1200 for a new core. My tanks are good.

Sooooooooooo, any thoughts or recommendations??

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)

Seems to me if they are using your top/bottom tanks the cooler question answers itself. As for price my radiator shop measures the core and has a new brass one made to same type/specs/dimensions. Price runs $900 for a tube and fin type using my tanks................Bob

12 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

Not using my tanks! Just sayin!

2 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

Sooooooooooo, any thoughts or recommendations??

My personal opinion, assuming a reputable shop that knows what they are doing, it's always better to re-core than re-pro. It will fit, cool and look as it should. My shop gives me my tanks and side straps to repair/recondition while they wait for the new core to be made. I remove the top tank dents taking care to leave them very slightly low. I instruct the shop to not paint the radiator. I then fill the slightly low tank dents with body filler and paint.

Radiator looks like new. Filler holds up perfectly to the heat. My 55 radiator is going on 20 years since repair. No cracks etc in the tank filler.........Bob

• Like 3

I got one for my 56 this past summer..56 was the first year of the traditional transmission cooler in the radiator design as in actual transmission fluid is being run through the bottom of the radiator... My guess is your 53 radiator fitting on the bottom has coolant coming out and going back to the transmission.. In any case the one I got from them was an exact replacement and very nice.. And it did have the correct heater fitting on the bottom passenger side that a 56 uses.

All Dynaflow transmissions have to be cooled.  The early ones ran engine coolant hoses to the cooler at the rear of the transmission and then in 1956 (I think) they ran the transmission fluid forward to the bottom of the radiator where inside the lower tank there was heat exchanger.  You are always better off using your upper and lower tanks and having a new core placed between them.   The 1953 Buick cars with Dynaflow all had a hose fitting in the bottom tank for the heater return line.   The cooler was fed from two nipples off the water pump on all the 1953 series 40 Specials and the series 50-70.   All had the pipe nipple at the bottom of the radiator.   I will try to post the hose routing diagram for you.

Joe, BCA 334935a597d257c646_HeaterHoseRoutingBuick1951-56.thumb.JPG.4027e9bc6c1f52d864a5814b02ce4fbd.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1