Another youth lost from the hobby

QUOTE:

Hmmmm....after reading this "ANON/UNREGIS"'s gripes....I just cant IMAGINE why his kid dosnt want any part of his dad's idea of a car hobby........!

Pete Hartmann

Big Springs, AZ

Me either, in fact I am having to step back to see if I enjoy it any more. Never seen so many people ready to jump on everyone else !! Makes me wonder why I am in this hobby as well. mad.gifshocked.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifblush.gifconfused.gif

All kidding aside...I DO admire those people who put so much effort (or, in the case of the people who don't have the interest..but do have the money) to turn working automobiles into costume jewelry. The reason is - it IS fun...(on the rare occasiona I BOTHER going to car shows) to see something "restored to perfection".... And you have to agree....taking one of these "hangar queens"...even out of the show's parking lot..would be NUTS...do tens of thousands of dollars "damage" to that "perfect" car...just to let it roll along on a public street.

Personally, I can't really relate to displaying a car at a stationary car show. When I got interested in the old car hobby (well...to be more correct..a VERY narrow section of the old car hobby...big luxury cars of the 1930's we now call "classic")...the idea of spending a lot of money on an old car simply didn't exist. We got involved with the old cars because USING them as mechanical devices....is FUN !

I paid twenty five bucks for my '38 Packard Twelve Formal Sedan...which, my parents felt...was WAY too much ( it needed a battery). This was in the early 1950's....when our culture LAUGHED at people who would bother using an old car for anything other than target practice.

I LOVED driving it...then....and that is why I kept it...and kept it and KEPT driving it....!

I did take it out of service for an IRAN (anyone knows what an IRAN inspection is..? ) about 30 years ago...for about three weeks....Re chromed...re-painted...using authentic nitro lacquer, took everything apart...NO masking tape lines...

Other than those three weeks ( and a couple of weeks last year while waiting for a radiator shop to re-core my radiator)...the car has been in regular service as an alternate "daily driver".

Tear-assing along our horribly rutted dirt roads out here in northern Arizona...showing up the young punks in their modern cars (and the occasional hot rod dumb enough to try and keep up with me on roads my car was DESIGNED for....) is my idea of fun.

True...it is sometimes hard to tell what color my Packard Twelve is ( we get a lot of mud during and after our occasional rain)....but I guarantee you...the kids around here...think old cars are REALLY great !

Pete Hartmann

Big Springs, Arizona