1929 Came Home Today

Thriller

Well, after a week delay due to poor customer service, I got a different towing service to bring the 1929 home today.  While the cosmetic restoration and other odds and ends remain, the mechanical work is pretty much done.  With the slightly larger tires, I've got to make some modifications to the sidemount mounting hardware and one of the split rims is twisted / warped enough that it couldn't be used, so I need to find one of those.

I have a few photos here...I took some video as well, but don't know if that will show up or how easily things can be dealt with (it's been a long time since I've tried any of that...I can load to YouTube if need be and link it).

20180110IMG_3725loading1929.jpg

20180110IMG_3728CanadaAuto1929.jpg

20180110IMG_3729unloading1929.jpg

20180110IMG_3734parked1929.jpg

• Like 8

Don't expect much development before things start to thaw more.  If it's something I can do in the house, then maybe.  Otherwise, it should start to warm up around March (it isn't really that bad - not all the time anyway, but there are days where an unheated garage is not a pleasant place at all to be).  We are expected to have overnight lows around -30 C again later this week.

2 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Derek:

Glad to see her arrive. When is she due? Just kidding.... A few of the angles of photos one can see why the 1929 Buick cars received the name that they did.

I hope the restoration goes well.

Larry

We all hope the restorations will go well................and usually they never do. :)  That said, this is a beautiful project car and it runs.  I don't know where you are or where the car came from but one thing is certain I'd rather be here in Florida than wherever you live.  Good luck with a beautiful project and a beautiful car.  I love the lines.

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

Congratulations on getting her running and home again!

Since the BCA National Meet is featuring 1929 Buicks this year, why not bring it just as it is?

Perhaps the fact that I'm not going may be a snag. 

We we are in wintry Winnipeg (call it 60 miles north of the MN/ND border) smack dab in the middle of a continental climate. I'm a prairie boy and am fine with it, but until I have a heated shop, winter is a limiting factor. The car came from a small town about an hour SSW of here and is a Canadian car. A local car club member has a slide dating to about 1970 and the car looked pretty much the same. 

Larry - I'm well aware of the pregnant moniker regarding styling, but I've never quite understood it. 

Edited by Thriller
Typo (see edit history)

They are slightly oversized. I have photos of these tires compared to what was on there previously and it was a fairly insignificant difference, although visible. They do have a more vertical sidewall rather than the more rounded car tires. These are a current production truck tire (but not that common). 

4 hours ago, Thriller said:

I'm well aware of the pregnant moniker regarding styling, but I've never quite understood it.

The body below the belt line bulges out making the Buick look as if she is "in the family way".

Lovely car by the way and sounds pretty good from a good old Winnipeg boy (born there and spent 31 years there before I started going west as Horace Greeley said).

Here are photos of the old and new tires. There isn't a lot of height difference. Lock to lock of the steering wheel is fine, but that doesn't determine they will never touch if suspension is compressed at the same time. 

You can see from from the profile view that the width is essentially the same but the tread is wider (tires straighter / less rounded profile). 

Brian - Tony is the wrong direction compared to Denver...almost orthogonal. Primarily now it is about finishing the body and some odds and ends. 

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

The 700/20s are only one size up from the 650/20 which,I believe, is the closest to the original size (32 X 6.50). The 6.50x20 tires are available from classic and antique sources but are pretty pricey. The 700x20 should work fine, unless your springs have lost much of their arch. My 2941 has 6.50x20s on it.

Jim

1929McLaughlin Buick photo day 2016 004.JPG

• Like 3

I’m right with you Brother. I’m running 5.00 x 24 balloons on my 1923. One of the best moves I ever made.  About doubled my tire contact patch area for stopping.  I get lots more Miles/Tire$ too.  On my third set after I wore out the high pressure 33x 4.5’s it came with.  Better ride and no death wobble. 

• Like 3

The oversize was suggested by Tony Bult. In finding these, my mechanic was able to order them through the usual means, meaning no extra shipping costs to get them here. If I'd ordered the car tires from the usual suspects, it would have resulted in a considerably larger bill. I will need to make some modifications to the sidemount covers and extend the hold-downs, but that won't be insurmountable. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to bring this up to the top in order to refresh the content. Particularly the info on the 7.00 X 20 Samson 14 ply rated radial tires Derek found. Thank you , Derek. I sure wish I could stretch a set onto my 21" rims !    ?    - Carl 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 2:13 PM, Thriller said:

start to warm up around March (it isn't really that bad - not all the time anyway, but there are days where an unheated garage is not a pleasant place at all to be

Its march !!!  5x28 is this the size you are looking for if i have one I will look  --kyle

6 minutes ago, Thriller said:

It isn't the rim I need but the ring around the edge of the wheel (correct term is escaping me right now)...reminiscent of the beauty rings of later wheels. 

Are you looking for a lock ring or a bead ring?  Picture of what you are looking for?

I want to say lock ring, but am not certain. I haven't been thinking of this much at all with other stuff going on. Back to -20 C overnight so not a lot going on in the garage. I will need to look for or take a clear photo. I'm pretty sure the twisted one is at the mechanic yet. 

On 2018-03-28 at 5:08 AM, C Carl said:

I would like to bring this up to the top in order to refresh the content. Particularly the info on the 7.00 X 20 Samson 14 ply rated radial tires Derek found. Thank you , Derek. I sure wish I could stretch a set onto my 21" rims !    ?    - Carl 

Carl,

Good luck finding an appropriate tire. My mechanic does a lot of tire work and he found these in the size I'd given him. He came to me with the alternatives of buying the car tires from the specialty suppliers, paying a bit more and paying for shipping or getting these through his usual channels. This meant no shipping costs, but had to wait for the order to be properly processed (supplier lied to my mechanic about placing the order in the first place), tires built and shipped. At least this way I didn't pay the same price for old tires that have been aging in a warehouse for who knows how long. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Derek !  I am  yet again bringing this topic up. The current discussion regarding radial tires for a 1928 big Studebaker begs for a status update from you. There was also a posting by captndan titled Tire Pressure with way more relevant info than I would care to reiterate. Might as well resurrect that also. Have you taken to the road on those REAL tires yet ?

Hoping all is well with you and yours.    -    Carl 

Thanks Carl.  

I’m afraid I haven’t had it on the road.  There always seems to be something coming up.  I’m giving some thought to looking at this car again after I get back from Oklahoma.  We have had some issues with the tubes - the valves are too short for these wheels, so extensions were added, and a couple of them have allowed the tires to leak.  That’s the main thing I need to dig into.  I may need to look at other tubes to get the longer valve stems. 

• Like 1