WTB 60s 70s. He has ordered a 2020 Vette, thanks for all your response.

countrytravler

My son is looking to buy his 1st classic. He has 25k to spend. I will be his eyes since I have bought and flipped over a hundred muscle cars over the past 50 plus years. He does not know a straight screwdriver- from a Philips+. LOL!! So it must be in good mechanics and body. Air a must since he lives in the Nashville TN heat. I tried to talk him into buying this Lincoln for 7100. He said it will not fit in his apartment parking spot. LOL

26694723_10211467769112380_452739764_n.thumb.png.08820461c51fdc24303aa93dc2912057.png

26694784_10211467769072379_606553535_n.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, countrytravler said:

He said it will not fit in his apartment parking spot. 

Mr. Traveler, I think your son should consider doing

one of two things:

(1)  Use some of his budget to rent a garage space

to keep the car out of the elements.

(2)  Or save some money by getting a somewhat worn

antique car--one perhaps with paint already faded.

It might not look perfect, but it will be just as much fun.

He should know that keeping an antique car outside--

in a shared parking lot, no less--will be hard on the car.

In just a few years the car won't look as good, and

his investment will decline in value, not appreciate.

I think he'll appreciate the hobby much more if he 

treats the car well, so that after a while his car still looks great.

He'll then be one step closer to building a future collection!

All the best to him in his search.

• Like 1

His Studio is the old Federal Reserve building in downtown Nashville that someone turned into studio apartments with under the building parking. Here is his living room and building.Thanks for your input. He is in marketing, radio DJ for WSM, co-producer of PIMP MY RIDE and now owns an Ins Comp that targets people with DUIs. 

20171117_175638.jpg

20171117_193510.jpg

19029426_10154444738192063_4138212613383870395_n.jpg

received_10154346240912063.jpeg

received_10154346240947063.jpeg

unnamed (5).jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. Traveler, I think your son should consider doing

one of two things:

(1)  Use some of his budget to rent a garage space

to keep the car out of the elements.

(2)  Or save some money by getting a somewhat worn

antique car--one perhaps with paint already faded.

It might not look perfect, but it will be just as much fun.

He should know that keeping an antique car outside--

in a shared parking lot, no less--will be hard on the car.

In just a few years the car won't look as good, and

his investment will decline in value, not appreciate.

I think he'll appreciate the hobby much more if he 

treats the car well, so that after a while his car still looks great.

He'll then be one step closer to building a future collection!

All the best to him in his search.

As much as I would have liked to sell him that Lincoln, (I listed it for sale), I agree with John about indoor storage being a good idea. 

P. S. I call that Lincoln the “Pimpmobile”. It would have been perfect for him!

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

On 1/10/2018 at 5:03 PM, victorialynn2 said:

As much as I would have liked to sell him that Lincoln, (I listed it for sale), I agree with John about indoor storage being a good idea. 

P. S. I call that Lincoln the “Pimpmobile”. It would have been perfect for him!

Did you read my response to John?? He has under the building parking. This was a Fed Reserve Building. High-end people had to have secured parking in the day. That show was canceled years ago. But the main guy, MAD MIKE still runs the car modifications for Galpin Ford in Van Nuys CA. Here is Mike with my son. He is an electronic genius.

277836_3534058912656_212370450_o.jpg

Parking underneath his apartment building

will be convenient;  but if parking is laid out

as it is in other parking garages, the spaces are

unusually narrow.  Door dings and molding damage

to his cherished classic car won't be what he 

wants to see.  Is there a way he can avoid that?

In other locations, a typical parking space is 10 feet

wide--or it should be, according to engineering guides,

especially in places such as grocery stores and shopping

centers, where there is a lot of in-and-out traffic.  Some

places try to squeeze more cars into less space and make 

the parking spaces 9 feet wide.  Parking garage spaces are

LESS than 9 feet, making damage more likely, especially

for a car that is exposed to adjacent cars' doors

for month upon month upon month.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I have a Buick Riv. -73. (boat tail) He might appreciate a V8 with 455 cc. It is all original, even the interior incl. the radio. It has a very good a/c. It spent 14 year sitting in a museum. This is my daily driver and I get thumbs up all the time. And it moves!!

DSC01042.JPG

DSC01044.JPG

DSC02147.JPG

DSC02149.JPG

DSC02133.JPG

DSC02148.JPG

DSC02132.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your response. Great cars. I talked him into buying a 2020 Corvette. After leasing a 2019 Corvette, I was totally impressed with the drivability and engineering of the car. I have owned or driven over 200 classics in my time and the 2019 Corvette beats them all hands down. Plus I have owned Corvettes from 62 fuel, 65 fuel, 67 427 and the 94 ZR1. The 94 was the most impressive until I drove the 94. He may wait till 2021 comes out giving time to work the bugs out of the car being a major design change being a mid-engine.

A car with a very different feel.  I guess he never really wanted an old car.  We like old cars as much or more for their personalities.  Something that won't be the same in a new Vette.  Kind of like women.  Some like the girl next door,  others need a Vicky C model.  Nothing wrong with either and I will look at both. ;)  Just might not want one or the other for various reasons.  

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

A car with a very different feel.  I guess he never really wanted an old car.  We like old cars as much or more for their personalities.  Something that won't be the same in a new Vette.  Kind of like women.  Some like the girl next door,  others need a Vicky C model.  Nothing wrong with either and I will look at both. ;)  Just might not want one or the other for various reasons.  

Yes, he did want an old car. 

With an old car comes with a lot of work.

You are always working on them. He is not a wrench.

Most are not dependable. You have to worry about bad gas, overheating and handling. Old cars, for the most part, do not handle like modern cars. 

Ins is really touchy. He wanted an everyday driver

He has been in more old cars than most people on the AACA.

Here he is in my 65 Fuel car in 1980.

also in the 62 Chev Clone car in 81. You can see him in the hat steering the car. 

In my 57 TBird in 89 at the drags.

So! he does have the bug.

20140804_233124.jpg

16427505_10208681838545857_5268361977359475899_n.jpg

20141119_123521.jpg

41 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Must be a mild case of the bug.  Some of us have it bad and get the bends without a fix.  

That could be it. LOL

He is going to buy the Vet because of his job, its the best all around car for the work he does. He is going to buy a ranch in Nashville or Santa Monica with a big garage. Then he will buy a collection of classics. That's the plan anyways till tomorrow. LOL

• Like 1

I know I lusted after all kinds of pre 60's old cars (even run of the mill things like 49 Dodge coupes and some old rusty 38? Olds carcass someone made a saw out of every day on the school bus as we passed by it.  Of course completely immersed myself in every issue of Dad's Collector car magazine cars and parts and Old Cars weekly,  bought every trader that even had a chance of having an old car in it.  That was all before i could even drive and back to when I was probably 5 or 6.  Dreaming of fixing every one of them up.  I think Like many I owned a few cars before I was even old enough to drive,  never actually driving them but working on dreaming over and polishing them up.  Even kin d of rough stuff,  I would be out there at 32 degrees in the winter in the sun cleaning up the chrome on the dash and what not.    I guess that might be called a severe case.  Should I seek help or just feed the need? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I know I lusted after all kinds of pre 60's old cars (even run of the mill things like 49 Dodge coupes and some old rusty 38? Olds carcass someone made a saw out of every day on the school bus as we passed by it.  Of course completely immersed myself in every issue of Dad's Collector car magazine cars and parts and Old Cars weekly,  bought every trader that even had a chance of having an old car in it.  That was all before i could even drive and back to when I was probably 5 or 6.  Dreaming of fixing every one of them up.  I think Like many I owned a few cars before I was even old enough to drive,  never actually driving them but working on dreaming over and polishing them up.  Even kin d of rough stuff,  I would be out there at 32 degrees in the winter in the sun cleaning up the chrome on the dash and what not.    I guess that might be called a severe case.  Should I seek help or just feed the need? 

At 16 years old in 68 street racing in the winters in Detroit, I remember blowing the rear end on my 62 409 car and it was 10 below. I would change the rear end and go back out and continued racing.  here is the car. YEP!! we are sick!! LOL

16864491_1458316980859094_4570003207101634808_n.jpg

18920176_1578001352223989_4344506872605927013_n.jpg

18922133_1578000472224077_7079481213488111687_n.jpg

20141120_212420-002.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • countrytravler changed the title to WTB 60s 70s. He has ordered a 2020 Vette, thanks for all your response.
  • 1 month later...