Carbuff2

1969 BUICK RIVIERA CPE California Car Beautiful

Recommended Posts

Just listed this 1969 All Original 1969 Riviera Silver Grey with Black Interior and Black Vinyl top ...... this is an original car not a restored car with the exception of a

original color two stage paint job. No dents, no dings, no scratches, the interior (original) look new.  In storage from 1984 to 2017 has protecto  plate.  

It is on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/232623338558

If you are interested you can contact me through this post, email me 65skyriv19@att.net or text/call 559 355-3551

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Paul!

 

looks like a great original.

 

what are those by the jack? Flares or something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

. . . nice original '69 Riviera car with a timeless design ! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did all 68 and 69 Rivieras come with the vinyl top or was it just a really popular option. In my old age, I've come to a personal conclusion that vinyl tops break up the body lines of the car.  I can't tell you how many cars I've owned that had vinyl tops that I now look back on and think the car would have had a cleaner look without the vinyl top.  Just my personal observation; not trying to start a debate or run down anyone's car that is so equipped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vinyl top was an option.  Darwin Falk had listed the percentage of 69's with vinyl tops in his old column in the Riview but I don't remember what it was.  You certainly see more with them than without and they were available in several colors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your comments, yes those are flares that were in the car when I obtained it so I left them there.  

Very original car was covered with dirt/dust from storage when pulled out, paint was fine except for a couple of spots so I decided it deserved a new paint job.

I purchased a new 1968 with vinyl top in 1968 from the showroom floor very nice cars. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RivNut said:

I've come to a personal conclusion that vinyl tops break up the body lines of the car.

 

Funny that you say that -- Wayne's comment to me was (paraphrasing): "You got the right one [no vinyl top]; it breaks up the flow..."

 

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.a5078d7a8a17686dea330

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EmTee said:

 

Funny that you say that -- Wayne's comment to me was (paraphrasing): "You got the right one [no vinyl top]; it breaks up the flow..."

 

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.a5078d7a8a17686dea330

Great minds think alike. ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My observation is that in 1968 fewer cars had the vinyl top option than in 1969.  It seems most every '69 came with a vinyl top when I was restoring my old '69 years ago.  It was almost impossible to find the cover at the base of the rear windshield that didn't have the embossed vinyl print pattern pressed into the metal.  I agree that the vinyl top breaks up the lines of the car as I removed the vinyl top from mine when I restored the car.  It looked very sharp and different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EmTee said:

 

Funny that you say that -- Wayne's comment to me was (paraphrasing): "You got the right one [no vinyl top]; it breaks up the flow..."

 

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.a5078d7a8a17686dea330

My 1967 was a "Goldie" but it had the black vinyl top. (Strato bench - black.) But,  I like the lines on EmTee's car much better..  I will go as far as to say that some vinyl tops look good IF they're color coordinated to the body color rather than contrasting it.  Blue on blue, Green on green (my '70 Skylark custom),  black on black, etc. (or at least the top should be darker than the body.)  Apologies to anyone I may offend, not my intention, just stating a personal opinion. 

Makes for good discussions and it brings out others opinions as well.   :) 

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

               When I was in high school in Houston, a lady who lived nearby had a brand new 67 GS Riviera with white

paint, the black vinyl top, and Redline tires on the chrome wheels. I've always thought that was the prettiest 67 Riviera

that I have ever seen. The black vinyl top with the white paint is a killer combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vinyl roof debate has been going on for years.  I think the color combinations can make or break any car, including those with vinyl roofs.  I have attached a couple of pictures of my old 69 that I bought back in 2000 and sold a couple of years ago.  This was a special order car in burgundy mist (2.2% of 69 Riv's came in this color) with a black vinyl roof.  Most would have come with a black interior but the original owner wanted the sandalwood interior.  The sandalwood interior came only as a 2 tone offering which gave this particular car a total of 4 colors.  Some think it makes it a bit busy but I liked it this way.  I would sure like to know how many were built in this combination.  I have never seen another. 

Riviera Exterior.jpg

Riviera Interior.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very sharp looking car Pat, and I totally agree with your comments about the vinyl option and colour choices too !

Wayne and Ed may have it right - that's exactly why I removed my black vinyl top when I restored my '68 to emphasize the styling of the second generation car.

 

. . . and my apologies too for hi jacking Carbuff2's  'for sale' notification thread -

A beautiful example of a '69 Riviera - and good luck with your auction Paul !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 68RIVGS said:

 

 

. . . and my apologies too for hi jacking Carbuff2's  'for sale' notification thread -

I asked our super moderator, Mr. Earl, to pin the "Rivieras for sale on local Craigslists" thread so that perhaps we can limit it to cars for sale and then start new threads for other discussions.  The newly pinned thread is now the first thread on this forum.

 

Ed

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The vinyl roof debate has been going on for years.  I think the color combinations can make or break any car, including those with vinyl roofs.  I have attached a couple of pictures of my old 69 that I bought back in 2000 and sold a couple of years ago.  This was a special order car in burgundy mist (2.2% of 69 Riv's came in this color) with a black vinyl roof.  Most would have come with a black interior but the original owner wanted the sandalwood interior.  The sandalwood interior came only as a 2 tone offering which gave this particular car a total of 4 colors.  Some think it makes it a bit busy but I liked it this way.  I would sure like to know how many were built in this combination.  I have never seen another. 

Riviera Exterior.jpg

Riviera Interior.jpg

 

Pat,

 

That is one sharp car. For me, that would have been a tough sell. If I saw that car for sale right now, I would be seriously thinking of selling my car. 

 

Bill

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat  - that is the best looking 69 I have ever seen !  That color combination is unbeatable . Didn't you say it went to Europe ? 

KReed

ROA 14549

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, Pat Curran said:

The vinyl top was an option.  Darwin Falk had listed the percentage of 69's with vinyl tops in his old column in the Riview but I don't remember what it was.  You certainly see more with them than without and they were available in several colors.

Pat,
The following information is according to Darwin Falk in his series of articles, Options Not Included in the "Riview":
7.2% of 1966 Rivieras wore a vinyl top (offered only in the spring of 1966), 63.1% of 1968 Rivieras were ordered with vinyl tops, 84.9% of 1969 Rivieras had a vinyl top and 87.5% of 1970 Rivieras were so equipped. 
Regarding the 1969 vinyl top production, black was by far the most popular vinyl top covering, installed on 35.94% of the production.  This is followed by white vinyl tops installed on 15.38% of 1969 Rivieras, buckskin on 12.31%, dark green on 10.47%, dark fawn on 8.01% and burgundy on 2.80%.  Burgundy was a Riviera only vinyl top color.

Darwin has not written an Options Not Included article on the 1967 Rivieras to date. The following information is also from his articles:

5.78% of 1965 Rivieras were ordered with a black vinyl top (the only color available that model year and only in the spring of 1965).

75.1% of the first year of the boat-tail generation, 1971, left Flint with the vinyl covering.

Both the full vinyl top (as in prior years) and a sport or landau were available for 1972 although the landau top was only available after about December 1971/January 1972. It is, apparently, not clear if the full vinyl top was offered for the entire 1972 production run. 69.7% of 1972 Rivieras had factory vinyl tops.

In 1973, only the sport or landau style vinyl top was offered and were installed on 81% of Rivieras.

Jim Vesely
ROA # 7437
BCA # 39477
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about Rivieras is they look superb with or without a vinyl top!

DSC04012.JPG

DSC04033.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kreed said:

Pat  - that is the best looking 69 I have ever seen !  That color combination is unbeatable . Didn't you say it went to Europe ? 

KReed

ROA 14549

 I have heard through the grapevine that it is "overseas" somewhere, not sure if it is Europe or not.  The buyer sent a consultant to look at the car and the transaction was concluded.  He would not divulge who the buyer was or where the car was going.

Edited by Pat Curran
update content (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Pat Curran said:

The vinyl roof debate has been going on for years.  I think the color combinations can make or break any car, including those with vinyl roofs.  I have attached a couple of pictures of my old 69 that I bought back in 2000 and sold a couple of years ago.  This was a special order car in burgundy mist (2.2% of 69 Riv's came in this color) with a black vinyl roof.  Most would have come with a black interior but the original owner wanted the sandalwood interior.  The sandalwood interior came only as a 2 tone offering which gave this particular car a total of 4 colors.  Some think it makes it a bit busy but I liked it this way.  I would sure like to know how many were built in this combination.  I have never seen another. 

Mr. Pat,

That is the most beautiful '69 combo I've ever seen.

You must miss her! 

I like the cloth seats in the Fresno car too. Rare.

My vote is for vinyl tops on 2nd gens. Not so much the rest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion which supports some of the comments is that it depends on the color of the car, top and interior.  Whether the top

sets it off or does not look good/correct/right.  I like the black top on the Silver Car and I like the black top on the Bamboo Cream

1965 Riviera GS but not so on the Champagne Mist nor the Verde Green ...... my 2 cents.  BTW the 69* has met reserve and is

going to be sold.  Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:22 AM, jj5794 said:
Both the full vinyl top (as in prior years) and a sport or landau were available for 1972 although the landau top was only available after about December 1971/January 1972. It is, apparently, not clear if the full vinyl top was offered for the entire 1972 production run. 69.7% of 1972 Rivieras had factory vinyl tops.

Jim Vesely
ROA # 7437
BCA # 39477
 

 

... As Randy said, sorry to hijack, just wanted to clarify about the '72 top offering ...

 

Announced Feb 2, to start effective March 1 for the "short" top, and phase out the "long" top by April 1, 1972.

 

5a58a74b58635_1972_Vinyl_Top_Info__GM_Corp.thumb.JPG.8fdb640d62982d5b945763ad0a78002b.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rivman said:

 

... As Randy said, sorry to hijack, just wanted to clarify about the '72 top offering ...

 

Announced Feb 2, to start effective March 1 for the "short" top, and phase out the "long" top by April 1, 1972.

 

5a58a74b58635_1972_Vinyl_Top_Info__GM_Corp.thumb.JPG.8fdb640d62982d5b945763ad0a78002b.JPG

 

Randall,

 

 

Thank you for the clarification.

 

 

Jim Vesely

 

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 68 had a vinyl top. After my next door neighbor called in the association nazis for the carport I built next to my 3 car garage, and they forced me to take it down, or else pay $550 per day past the demo day, I sold it... I didn't want any liens on the house and parking outside under the Houston sun, was not an option. I like vinyl...

image.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now