mercer09

which one do you most regret missing?

Interesting story &  scenario from Lump, but shameful for seller of that Chevy to treat animals in such a way.   It's a criminal offense in most (hopefully all) states.

1953 Buick Skylark Convertible was offered to me for free, by my father, in 1974. He had traded an adding machine for it. A fellow had bought a piece of property and found the Buick in an old barn, and needed an adding machine. My father and I went to look at the car. It was bright yellow, undented, sitting on blocks, totally complete except for missing wire wheels, with a thick layer of dust and 65,000 miles on the odometer. It was straight enough that today it would not be restored. My then-new wife took one look and said, "Oooh, that's ugly." So I turned it down. Bad thing is my father never went and got the car either. Don't know what happened to it. By the way, eventually I dumped that sour wife.      

• Like 2

About 5 years ago a sales rep came in to my wife's Subaru Service Center and saw some AACA magazines in the lobby. He said his boss had an old car he wanted to sell. he thought it was an Auburn or something like that. He thought his boss inherited it from his father. The sales guy said he had not seen the car but he was told it was a convertible. He also said he thought that it was a reproduction that was done in the 70's.

I told him to get some photos and send them to me. Well time went by and I forgot about it. A few months later I saw the salesman and asked if he ever took the photos. He showed them to me from his phone. It was an Auburn boat tail speedster. Now for the rest of the story.

His bosses wife was tired of her new car sitting outside, so she listed it on Craig's list at $12,500.00. Of course it sold to the 1st looker. Turns out it was a real Glenn Prey car with 4300 original miles, white with red interior, external exhaust and all the trim. The car was dusty from being stored in the garage. The car was last licensed in 1977.

Ya snooze, ya loose.

brasscarguy

1965 Citroen DS-19 Chapron Cabriolet (convertible) for a few thousand, needing rear suspension hydraulic work which I could have done -

later, my friend Jack bought it, moved it to the left coast, restored it, sold it to another friend - Richard who sold it to an Italian collector - now valued at well over $200,000

Hey Marty ! Speaking of snoozing and losing on convertibles which start with "C" : any update on that '76 Cad Eldo ?   - Carl 

I missed a 1929 Viking convertible.  That's an obscure

make by General Motors, pretty much forgotten today;

but I like unusual cars.  It was my decision at the time

not to get it, because I had just spent a lot on a partial

restoration of another car.  But since then, I haven't seen

any other Vikings for sale.

Here are pictures of it which the owner sent me at the time:

Viking1.tif

Viking2.tif

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

17 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey Marty ! Speaking of snoozing and losing on convertibles which start with "C" : any update on that '76 Cad Eldo ?   - Carl 

answer is on original thread - thanks for asking, Carl

I think I was 9 or 10 years old and found a 69 road runner 440 6 pack with 28k miles for $2,500 my father said no, and I had almost enough saved up. I still have the wheels and deals ad somewhere. I probably would have wrecked it though.

• Like 1

Not a car but circa 1970, a NOS 8BA flathead with Paxton supercharger.  Asking price was $400, which inflates to about $2,500 now - still a great deal!

I agree with greglar . In 1971 I bought a 70 superbee while in the air force at Charleston SC. 383/TF 3.91s Hemi Orange/ black c stripe/interior. 32,000 miles, $1950 outright at a dealer. Beautiful car.Drove it till I got out in 74. Came home and bought my next 70,same color and drivetrain other than 3.23s Had 61,000 on it all stock down to plug wires and belts/hoses.I had this one restored paint,interior,chrome,engine,trans,rear rebuilt. Went to  many Mopar shows in the NW winning Best b-body stock against trailered show only cars.This car was my daily driver  for years. Shows,drags(14.20s @105)even autocrossed it! Convinced myself I had to sell it to finance my mini mansion in Washington State. I’ve had 100 plus cars in my time including 2 64 Corvettes and a 75 911 Carrera. Nothing can compare to the Bee,s for sheer fun, pride of ownership and now the only cars I ever deeply regret selling.BUT,Iam looking for one that’s not too big a project. Any engine/trans combo OK. Anyone?...

In 1977 I was in college and was buying and selling cars in addition to working at a Ford dealer. A neighbor had a 1969 Shelby GT350 convertible for sale. He was asking $1100.00 for it. I offered him $800.00 and he said “no”. We both walked away without making any counter offers. 

What was I thinking? The worst $300.00 I ever saved!

Kevin

1 hour ago, kevin1221 said:

In 1977 I was in college and was buying and selling cars in addition to working at a Ford dealer. A neighbor had a 1969 Shelby GT350 convertible for sale. He was asking $1100.00 for it. I offered him $800.00 and he said “no”. We both walked away without making any counter offers. 

What was I thinking? The worst $300.00 I ever saved!

Kevin

Hey Kevin, that guy that listed and probably sold that Shelby is thinking now? Sold it for $1100.00? What was I thinking?

45 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Hey Kevin, that guy that listed and probably sold that Shelby is thinking now? Sold it for $1100.00? What was I thinking?

I'm sure he is thinking that....what a difference 40 years makes!

Kevin

Edited by kevin1221
spelling (see edit history)

missed a Marmon speedster on here a little over a year ago. Called up on it and someone else was one step ahead of me by a day or two.................. 25k.

• Like 1

I don't know that I regret this one, at least not from anything but a monetary point of view, but when I was in my 20s I went to look at an "old car under a tarp" in Saunderstown, RI behind a house rented by a cousin of one of my friends. When we pulled the tarp up, it was a roadster (already making it unobtainable on my budget) but a very peculiar one. It was obvious it was a steam car. The radiator and hubcaps were marked "American Steam Automobile Co."... or something similar though it looked like it was made from a conventional automobile. It wasn't until years later that I learned that the cars were built in Massachusetts by a company owned by a member of the MIT faculty and that they are a legitimate, if very obscure, American-made car. The chassis and bodies were purchased from Hudson and I'd guess the one I saw was about 1926–1928.

When I was 19, I had a friend who was in the army , we used to go to a jazz and blues club 

He had been based locally , but one night told me he was being transferred to west Germany and would I like to buy his car .

It was a jaguar D type , painted pink!! , it was the 60s mad times in Uk . We used drive round town with me sat holding the rear bulge.

As I was a friend he offered to me for £250 about $750 at the time , I had most of the money and my aunt offered me my missing 30 pounds . However my Dad wouldn’t insure it for me , I would have been the named driver , my mum was scared I kill myself as they knew it was a quick car. I couldn’t afford to insure it myself as it would have cost as much as the car. I know the car now is a fortune , however I’m realistic , as I know if someone had offered me a good profit say a year later  I would have sold it. Crystal ball would have been useful?

My 56 Porsche Speedster.

I bought it for $650.00 in summer of 1963

Engine in boxes, hardtop, but no soft top nor side curtains.

Sold three months later for the $650.00 I had in it to pay for fall tuition.

• Like 1

1956 300 SL Coupe, pale yellow with black interior, 22K miles, NSL engine and 4.11 differential.  Saw it in January, 1967, in Boca Raton, Florida.  I was still in school at the time and just couldn't put the pieces together.  It was a very attractive car.

I have a new regret. Wed I answered an add for a 1910 4cyl 35 hp. REO touring older restoration. I talked to the owner said I was looking to make arrangements. My plan ended up being to fly out there and put it in storage if the owner could not keep it until spring   The car haulers did not want to move the extra engine was my delay. I emailed back 36 hr. later and it was sold. Next time it will be buy now worry about getting it home later and a faster pace.