which one do you most regret missing?

mercer09

On 1/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, Mark Huston said:

When I had the chance to buy it I could not pull the cash together at the time.   

There's a lot of that going around....... :wacko:

I have no regrets for not buying.......I have regrets for some I DID buy........  :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Didn't really miss this one. In my 12 year old mind, I thought I did.

In about 1960, famed Model A guy, Tiny Snell was closing up shop. My friend and I hopped on our bicycles and pedaled over there with wild dreams of scoring an old car with out lunch money. Tiny was cordial. I'm sure he knew we were a couple of twerps. Maybe our passion for old cars was evident. Anyway, everything was for sale. He had some nice ones up front but any car in his back lot could be had for 150 bucks, as I recall. There were, probably 15 "A"s and a split head Pontiac. Way back in the corner was something different. Tiny said that one was NOT 150 dollars. I forget how much it was. 3 or 4 hundred if I remember correctly. It was a 36 Supercharged Auburn Speedster, a bit ratty looking but straight and complete.

I didn't get a Model A for another 10 years after that. Getting my second one next week!!!

• Like 2

For me it was a 1914 Model T Ford Milk truck.  Sliding front doors and double back doors.  I spotted this truck on the way to our summer home at an antique shop on a Friday. My Dad and I stopped and looked it over head to tail. Needed a complete restoration and the guy wanted only $600 for it. We went on to our beach house and all weekend my Dad and I talked about that truck. My dad finally said that if I would learn to do the mechanic work ( he hated greasy car work) he'd do the woodwork since he was an expert wood worker and carver. We decided to tackle the project together and on Monday morning on the way back home we stopped at the antique store to buy the truck. It was gone! Someone had come on Saturday and bought it, hauling it away.  Even to this day I miss not getting that truck and having the opportunity to work with my Dad on that project.  He did beautiful wood work and it would have been something special for us.

• Like 3

Two come to  mind. The most outrageous was a 1967 Lamborghini Miura, sitting outside on a seedy used car lot in Des Plaines, IL in the mid 70s. I don't know if it ran but it looked really nice and the sign in the window said $5000. Of course $5000 to me in 67 was like $500,000 today so I passed it by, big mistake.

Second one was a 1967 Shelby Mustang GT350 fastback, found in a newspaper classified for $1200. also in the mid 70s. I actually looked at this one, it was actually in my neighborhood and I think I was the first one there. it had some collision damage but ran well  and was driveable. I didn't have the cash on me, offered a deposit which the seller turned down and said he would hold it for me. I came right back with the cash and it was already gone. Lesson learned, I never went to look at another car without the money in my jeans.

• Like 2

A 1926 20HP RR. I knew the car. In fact, I'd loaded it on the trailer for the buyer. A few years later, I advertised looking for one and he responded. We agreed on a price and I told him I'd need a couple of days to withdraw the money from my investment account...this was all long before paypal and on-line banking. I got the check and was just about to mail it when he called (collect!) to tell me he'd sold it to someone else because they had offered a little more. I've blotted the guy's name out of my memory, otherwise I'd denounce him here and now as something less than a man of his word.

Some time later, I sold a PI to the late Joe Ersland. He specifically asked that I wait for the check he was mailing, which I agreed to do. An hour after we'd spoken I got a call from someone else who offered more money and treated me to an outburst of obscenity when I told him I had given my word to wait for a check but that, if it disn't come, I'd call him back.

I think of this every time someone goes on about how everyone in the old car world is oh-so-nice and honorable.

• Like 2

The one I regret letting get away? One 1958 Buick Limited convertible...

After having been given Dad's well worn 1958 Buick Limited 2 door hardtop in 1971 and the following year jumping at the chance to purchase a red 1958 Buick Special convertible, don't I see a listing in Old Autos (I think) of a 1958 Buick Limited convertible three hours from me for the asking price of $2,000.00. 

I'm still in High School but somehow talked Dad into taking me, my then girlfriend and Mom to see the car and just what might be a possible purchase purchase price...

The short story was although he would be willing to drop the price 100 bucks, we, together just didn't have that kind of money so had to pass.

Fast forward 15 years later, there is a Car Club coming down my way and because it was the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada, called a fellow Buick car owner and we met up with them along their tour route.

Low and behold there is a 1958 Buick Limited convertible in the group! B)

5a53aa47cea9c_CCF25042014_0002-Copy.thumb.jpg.ee953568dc9c95814718373ed3b36cec.jpg

Turns out after some conversation, that is the one I had to pass on... :(

I have unwisely passed on LOTS of great cars over the years. In fairness, I should point out that I have bought a lot of great bargains too. 

The first one that comes to mind is a 1962 Chevy that a good friend of mine called me about, here in the Dayton, Ohio area. My pal Dave never had any disposable income himself, but was a totally-devoted car fanatic. But unlike me at that time, he was very aware of the growing collectibility and value of early muscle cars many years ago, before that trend became so widespread. So he called me to say that I just HAD to go look at a for-sale 62 Impala SS 409, with factory aluminum fenders. I had never heard of such a thing, but I knew that he was pretty sharp, and collecting cars was his entire life. I agreed to go with him to the other side of town. 

When we arrived it was just as he said, a factory 409 car, white with red interior. Engine and trans out of the car, and front seat(s) removed also. Indeed, the front fenders, hood, and inner fenders were all aluminum, plus miscellaneous other body parts. I couldn't believe it. The seller raised the trunk lid, and showing me the dual-snorkle air cleaner and lots of loose parts. I don't remember many specific parts, and not sure about the transmission. Much of the exterior paint appeared original, and it had lots of performance parts included. Clearly, this was the real-deal 409 factory AFX car that my friend had been telling me about. (Next model year, 1963, Chevrolet labeled these AFX 409 cars as RPO Z-11)

But the real story was the interior...  The guy raised pit-bull dogs. His backyard had a chain-link perimeter fence, and every few feet along the fence pit bulls were chained to strong leashes, with food/water bowls within reach. But they were not in reach of each other because, as the seller explained it, they were trained to fight and would quickly kill each other. So what does all this have to do with the interior of the car? Well, you see there was one pit bull kept inside the non-running car, 24 hours a day! The car was an automotive DOG HOUSE. I asked to see the interior, so he reached through the other-side window grabbed the collar of the dog and told me to go ahead and open the door to look inside. But when I did, WOW, the stench nearly knocked me unconscious, and the dog went berserk trying to attack me. His dog had been pooping in there for a very long time, and the entire floor pan area was about an inch deep in feces, which was packed down and baked by the sun. YECCH!. I quickly took note of the column collar with no place where a shifter would have ever been, plus clutch pedal assy and factory tach on the dash, etc... (features that needed to be there if this was a factory AFX race car), and quickly shut that door! Whew! 

This was obviously a rare and interesting car, and my buddy assured me that the Chevrolet factory had indeed made such a thing  (this was years before I became a serious collector and writer about Chevy muscle cars). But there was a large rectangular hole cut through that aluminum hood, and one aluminum fender was lightly buckled. I couldn't imagine what it would cost to fix those aluminum body panels correctly...especially the hood, which would need to look perfect top and bottom side. The seller told me that he still had the original engine, but it was at Ray Smith's Speed Shop. Being the skeptical type, I figured that engine probably had a large overdue invoice for machine work which would have to be paid before that engine would ever be released.

The car looked rough but mostly original, but I couldn't get that thick layer of dog poop out of my mind. And the selling price represented just about every dime my young wife and I had in savings (can't recall it for sure, but I THINK it was around $1,800). She would have trusted my judgment on purchasing an old collectible car, but would have also insisted that I flip it as soon as possible, since we needed that money to survive. And I was just too uncomfortable with the deal.  

Years later I learned that a man in Indiana who eventually became a good friend of mine bought the car from some third party, and did a total frame-off ground-up restoration. Eventually he sold it for 6 figures to a wealthy collector. The last I heard it was residing in a museum of Chevrolet SUPER Muscle Cars. 

1953 Buick Skylark Convertible was offered to me for free, by my father, in 1974. He had traded an adding machine for it. A fellow had bought a piece of property and found the Buick in an old barn, and needed an adding machine. My father and I went to look at the car. It was bright yellow, undented, sitting on blocks, totally complete except for missing wire wheels, with a thick layer of dust and 65,000 miles on the odometer. It was straight enough that today it would not be restored. My then-new wife took one look and said, "Oooh, that's ugly." So I turned it down. Bad thing is my father never went and got the car either. Don't know what happened to it. By the way, eventually I dumped that sour wife.      

• Like 3

About 5 years ago a sales rep came in to my wife's Subaru Service Center and saw some AACA magazines in the lobby. He said his boss had an old car he wanted to sell. he thought it was an Auburn or something like that. He thought his boss inherited it from his father. The sales guy said he had not seen the car but he was told it was a convertible. He also said he thought that it was a reproduction that was done in the 70's.

I told him to get some photos and send them to me. Well time went by and I forgot about it. A few months later I saw the salesman and asked if he ever took the photos. He showed them to me from his phone. It was an Auburn boat tail speedster. Now for the rest of the story.

His bosses wife was tired of her new car sitting outside, so she listed it on Craig's list at $12,500.00. Of course it sold to the 1st looker. Turns out it was a real Glenn Prey car with 4300 original miles, white with red interior, external exhaust and all the trim. The car was dusty from being stored in the garage. The car was last licensed in 1977.

Ya snooze, ya loose.

brasscarguy

1965 Citroen DS-19 Chapron Cabriolet (convertible) for a few thousand, needing rear suspension hydraulic work which I could have done -

later, my friend Jack bought it, moved it to the left coast, restored it, sold it to another friend - Richard who sold it to an Italian collector - now valued at well over $200,000

I missed a 1929 Viking convertible.  That's an obscure

make by General Motors, pretty much forgotten today;

but I like unusual cars.  It was my decision at the time

not to get it, because I had just spent a lot on a partial

restoration of another car.  But since then, I haven't seen

any other Vikings for sale.

Here are pictures of it which the owner sent me at the time:

Viking1.tif

Viking2.tif

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

17 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey Marty ! Speaking of snoozing and losing on convertibles which start with "C" : any update on that '76 Cad Eldo ?   - Carl 

answer is on original thread - thanks for asking, Carl

I agree with greglar . In 1971 I bought a 70 superbee while in the air force at Charleston SC. 383/TF 3.91s Hemi Orange/ black c stripe/interior. 32,000 miles, $1950 outright at a dealer. Beautiful car.Drove it till I got out in 74. Came home and bought my next 70,same color and drivetrain other than 3.23s Had 61,000 on it all stock down to plug wires and belts/hoses.I had this one restored paint,interior,chrome,engine,trans,rear rebuilt. Went to  many Mopar shows in the NW winning Best b-body stock against trailered show only cars.This car was my daily driver  for years. Shows,drags(14.20s @105)even autocrossed it! Convinced myself I had to sell it to finance my mini mansion in Washington State. I’ve had 100 plus cars in my time including 2 64 Corvettes and a 75 911 Carrera. Nothing can compare to the Bee,s for sheer fun, pride of ownership and now the only cars I ever deeply regret selling.BUT,Iam looking for one that’s not too big a project. Any engine/trans combo OK. Anyone?...

In 1977 I was in college and was buying and selling cars in addition to working at a Ford dealer. A neighbor had a 1969 Shelby GT350 convertible for sale. He was asking $1100.00 for it. I offered him $800.00 and he said “no”. We both walked away without making any counter offers. 

What was I thinking? The worst $300.00 I ever saved!

Kevin

1 hour ago, kevin1221 said:

In 1977 I was in college and was buying and selling cars in addition to working at a Ford dealer. A neighbor had a 1969 Shelby GT350 convertible for sale. He was asking $1100.00 for it. I offered him $800.00 and he said “no”. We both walked away without making any counter offers. 

What was I thinking? The worst $300.00 I ever saved!

Kevin

Hey Kevin, that guy that listed and probably sold that Shelby is thinking now? Sold it for $1100.00? What was I thinking?

I don't know that I regret this one, at least not from anything but a monetary point of view, but when I was in my 20s I went to look at an "old car under a tarp" in Saunderstown, RI behind a house rented by a cousin of one of my friends. When we pulled the tarp up, it was a roadster (already making it unobtainable on my budget) but a very peculiar one. It was obvious it was a steam car. The radiator and hubcaps were marked "American Steam Automobile Co."... or something similar though it looked like it was made from a conventional automobile. It wasn't until years later that I learned that the cars were built in Massachusetts by a company owned by a member of the MIT faculty and that they are a legitimate, if very obscure, American-made car. The chassis and bodies were purchased from Hudson and I'd guess the one I saw was about 1926–1928.

When I was 19, I had a friend who was in the army , we used to go to a jazz and blues club 

He had been based locally , but one night told me he was being transferred to west Germany and would I like to buy his car .

It was a jaguar D type , painted pink!! , it was the 60s mad times in Uk . We used drive round town with me sat holding the rear bulge.

As I was a friend he offered to me for £250 about $750 at the time , I had most of the money and my aunt offered me my missing 30 pounds . However my Dad wouldn’t insure it for me , I would have been the named driver , my mum was scared I kill myself as they knew it was a quick car. I couldn’t afford to insure it myself as it would have cost as much as the car. I know the car now is a fortune , however I’m realistic , as I know if someone had offered me a good profit say a year later  I would have sold it. Crystal ball would have been useful?

1956 300 SL Coupe, pale yellow with black interior, 22K miles, NSL engine and 4.11 differential.  Saw it in January, 1967, in Boca Raton, Florida.  I was still in school at the time and just couldn't put the pieces together.  It was a very attractive car.

I have a new regret. Wed I answered an add for a 1910 4cyl 35 hp. REO touring older restoration. I talked to the owner said I was looking to make arrangements. My plan ended up being to fly out there and put it in storage if the owner could not keep it until spring   The car haulers did not want to move the extra engine was my delay. I emailed back 36 hr. later and it was sold. Next time it will be buy now worry about getting it home later and a faster pace.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I havent had a lot of antique cars, I dont think I regret selling any of them. The one I wish I had back was the 190SL, and the only reason I would want it back was so I could sell it again at todays current value.  My first motorcycle was a hand me down that my older brother bought brand new. Kawasaki Mach III 500.  I would like to have that one back but I wasnt responsible for getting rid of it. Another one of those that was literally given away to someone when it was barely worth scrap value.

A 427 Cobra back in 1972 for $5000, and a real GT40. Don’t recall the price on the GT40, but I do remember being able to afford it, but it would have had to be my daily driver. Both cars were in the local want ads.

A third one was at White Bear Dodge. They were selling Dick Landry’s campaign cars. They had a hemispheric Challenger, 440 Coronet or Superbee, & a hemi R/T. I could have bought the R/T for $2200. It was in 1969. The R/T was a ‘67.

My father bought a beautiful maroon 1967 4 door, manual transmission Jaguar 4 door sedan with black leather interior in the early 70s. Wonderful car. Loved the smell and softness of the leather seats. I was a teenager at the time. Never got to drive it. Fast forward 30 years. I was offered the car - free of charge. Turned it down 😭

As this thread resurfaces of course some others come to mind.

A channelled, sbc powered 30, 31 A "coupster" that was an old build, but on the road and capable of passing CT inspection back in 84, 85.  I didn't like fact it was not a true roadster.  Had I understood more about early hot rods, I would have snapped it up.  Flathead would be better but knowing what I do now I would place it as  late 50s, early 60s build.  Not an antique but historic in its own right...

Then there was the black 57 Chevy two door hardtop, $2,500.

A local XKE coupe, I believe $4,000.

And so on...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I put them out of my head. There will be another car tomorrow. Although there was a 1910 Packard that I should have raised my hand a few more times on.

Thats a very practical attitude..... if you have the $ to just buy what you like. For most of us the regret is that it was a car that we liked and normally could not afford in a situation where we actually could afford it. Whole different ball game.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1