1908 Hoosier Motor Club meet

nzcarnerd

Taken in Indianapolis I presume. An interesting mix of cars. No doubt there are some Indianapolis-built cars there. The round radiator at the front is an early National, and there are two later ones on the right. I am open to ideas as to what others are. The original photo first and then some dissections.

#4 on the right - does that say overland on the radiator?

#5 on the left looks like a White steamer but don't know the other two.

The last one - the little roadster -  maybe a Ford Model N?

I notice several cars with the same license plate - maybe the owner was licensed rather than the car? 

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet .jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy (2).jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy (3).jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy (4).jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy (5).jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy (6).jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy (7).jpg

1908 Hoosier Motor Club Meet  - Copy - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, what a fine photo, clarity is excellent. About 24 cars definable, but some have only roofs visible, interesting to see how many can be pinned down. For anyone restoring one of these, a lot of clear detail to solve questions. The unique back deck on the car lower right should be a clue to it's make.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

Can't tell from the photo. The model S Ford would have splash aprons as well as running boards. Can only see running boards so it is at least a model R.

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The one that mystifies me is the tourer in the main shot next to the round radiator National - seen from above and behind.

Yes, it has a strange radiator shell shape to it.

The 5th car in left row, which has two men in front in white bowler hats, is identical to the 10th car in right row, about center top of photo, two men standing beside it (one could be Charlie Chaplin!) plate reads CxxIND. Note cowl lights have cross shaped mounting brackets, similar fenders other details. Figure 1 and you get credit for 2. 

The Tourer up front next to the round rad National appears same as the two Tourers behind policemen, for example note two octagon rear windows, exposed landau bars, front fender tilt, V-shaped top irons, etc. The 1st car on left also has many same features such as bull-nosed cowl. If we can figure one of these we may get all four.

It's not easy to identify a car that has a radiator like most others of the period, my best guess is that it's a Model 30 Premier, the steering wheel centers being very distinctive.

I'd like to know what the light coloured car is, top right of photo 7.

1908-IND-Prem-AUTO-1-23-p-115.jpg

The Tourer up front next to the round rad National appears same as the two Tourers behind policemen, for example note two octagon rear windows, exposed landau bars, front fender tilt, V-shaped top irons, etc. The 1st car on left also has many same features such as bull-nosed cowl. If we can figure one of these we may get all four.

These appear to be 1907 Premiers.

http://www.autolit.com/Store/1907-premier-24-indianapolis-in-auto-ad-haynes-automobile.html