1910 Model 20 - A Couple Questions

PMac

Hi,

Hoping the Model 20 team can help educate me re a couple of features of this machine. My questions:

1. Did early 1910 cars come equipped with a cover over the flywheel?

2. Did 1910 Hups carry a Selden Patent plate and if so, where were these displayed?

3. Does anyone have an original tool kit or parts of the tool kit they could share a picture of?

4. What type of gasket material are people using as a seal for the water inlet/outlet connections to the cylinder blocks?

5. What material is the steering wheel spider made of? Has anyone had any success welding this alloy?

Thanks in advance for any info that can be shared,

Peter

Peter 

My car has a  repo Selden  plate on  the   drivers side  seat upstand  I suspect they would have had one originally.

I don't think a flywheel cover is original -certainly not drawn on the pictures in my original manual 

Never ever seen a photo of an original toolkit let alone the real thing

On my car  I used  red fibre washers and  silicone  gasket goop on the water openings in the cylinder blocks   The silicone makes up for the  irregularities  in the outlet/inlet  castings .

My steering spider is aluminium but is definitely a  later casting 

Karl 

• Like 1

Karl has answered you well. 

My original Selden tag is centered on the vertical board under the front of the seat. A friend of mine has beautifully restored (by him) Hupp, you can see the location of the tag easily in the picture attached.

The flywheel cover is an add on piece, I believe.  I base this on the fact that the two brackets that hold the cover in place, one on each side, are rarely found on an original car.  The cover itself is pinned to these brackets, so that it's more or less easy to remove.

I think enough people complained about the oil slinging from the front bearing that the factory came out with a retrofit solution, and not everyone got them.

Never heard of a tool kit for a Model 20.  Not mentioned anywhere that I'm aware of.  Remember, this was an entry level car, they were trying to keep costs down, even lights and windshield were an option.

Steering wheel spider is an aluminum alloy of some kind.  It can be repaired, if you have someone who knows how to weld aluminum.  My little throttle lever, under the steering wheel, appears to be made of the same stuff, and was broken when I got it.  A friend who is quite talented in all things metal welded it and finished it, you can't tell it ever had a problem.

100_3057.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Karl and David,

Appreciate your guidance on these topics. With regards to the tool kit, my only reference is Bill Cuthbert's "The Hupmobile Story" (Page 23). Bill details that the Model 20 came with a screwdriver, pliers, monkey wrench, 2 x wrenches (5/16 and 7/16), oil can, valve grinding tool, tire pump, tire repair kit and tool kit bag. Who knows, there may be a machine out there with it's original tool set?

Thanks again,

Peter

I wonder what Bill's source was for that information?  I'll go back and look through the owner's manual and other paper I have and see what it says and if it mentions a tool kit, I just don't remember ever seeing a mention of it in factory literature.

Does you car have the original Breeze carb?  If so, pm me and I'll email you an electronic copy of the 32 page manual for the carb.....yep, only 32 pages!

There  are  51 model 20's listed in  the  Hupp Club.  Maybe one  of the  members  that  owns  one will see this  and  respond, I  am  not at  liberty to  do  so. I own 8  different   Hupp models but  no  model  20.

I just rejoined the Hupp club, the annual Hupp meet is in Staunton, Virginia, this year, which is just a hop skip and jump away from me down I-81.

I've always been amazed at the survival rate of the Model 20.  I'm convinced there are 300 - 400 or more 1909-1911 out there.  Every time I've mentioned the car here or there, someone new who owns one contacts me about information. 

I'd guess the tools in the tool kit were generic, and not marked "Hupmobile", so it may be difficult to determine what's correct.