Mecum Auction

Booreatta

Cars for Auction at the Mecum Auction in Florida next week

one Reatta  will be sold on Sunday January 7 2017 Red Convertible Tan top and interor only 2 pix  looks like 60,000 miles no reserve

Car 2 is a select 60 with only 250 total miles it will be sold at no reserve on Wednesday January 10

Might be a chance to own a new Select 60. 

9 hours ago, Booreatta said:

Car 2 is a select 60 with only 250 total miles it will be sold at no reserve on Wednesday January 10

Might be a chance to own a new Select 60. 

That sounds like an instant show winner to me. Just add an enclosed trailer, and a white Dually truck and your ready to go. :).

I would love to have that SS but I think I would have the same problem with it that I do with my '88 if I took it to a car show around here. Most of the time people come by and ask, "What is that?", and then move on to look at the Camaro or Mustang beside me and talk with their owners. I don't know how to break that cycle. Name recognition seems to be what people are looking for, especially if it's associated with performance - not uniqueness or rarity. It's probably a little different at the BCA events where more people recognize a Reatta.

A Buick friend of mine once told me that I bought a "Regretta" not a "Reatta"!!  Of all the cruise-ins I attend, most do not know what a Reatta is.  But, when I show them the sticker price, they are somewhat impressed with the price in 1991 dollars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DShip said:

A Buick friend of mine once told me that I bought a "Regretta" not a "Reatta"!! 

I've not heard that before. That's a good one!  Maybe I need to get a window sticker that shows the price for my car and display it at cruise-ins. :lol:

If GM had put the supercharged engine in all the Reattas, with appropriate badging, I think it would get a lot more attention and acceptance at shows and cruise-ins. What were they thinking when they decided to produce an expensive car, with a sleek body designed for two people, and then put their most basic engine in it?  It equates to using a mule to pull the Queen''s carriage...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Ronnie,

I think the reason with no high performance engines in the Reatta was because the front drive tansmissions at that time weren't strong enough. Then by the time the transmission technology caught up the Reatta's fate was sealed.

I think Dave is right. When the first S/C engine came out in 1992, it had 40 more hp and 50 lb/ft more torque than our LN3. As far as I know, it still used the 4T60E transaxle, but it may have been strengthened in some fashion? It may also have some additional programming to reduce torque near the shift points? Maybe if there had been a '92 model???? About the only thing to do is build your own as many have done. 

When it comes to auctions, rarity seems to have little bearing? For whatever reason, Muscle Chebbies tend to have higher prices than demonstrably rarer models of the same era, even GTO's, 442's, GS's from GM not to mention Fords and Mopars. Sure there are exceptions, but that trend has been going on for a long time. It doesn't make sense to me, but hey, I ordered an AMC Pacer when they first came out in '75 as my first brand new car, so that probably explains a lot:blink:

It's just a shame GM didn't go the extra mile and do it right. The Reatta could have been well on it's way to being a true collectable if they had put in a more impressive engine. I'm happy with the power my Reatta has but the perception is that the Reatta is under powered with the stock V6.

I don't open the hood of my Reatta at cruise-ins unless asked to do so.  Not because I'm ashamed of the engine but because the hood being open detracts from the sleek lines of the car.  I've found that with the hood closed my Reatta gets more attention and people tend to ask more questions about it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't open the hood of my Reatta at cruise-ins unless asked to do so.  Not because I'm ashamed of the engine but because the hood being open detracts from the sleek lines of the car.  I've found that with the hood closed my Reatta gets more attention and people tend to ask more questions about it.

I do the same with my Reatta and especially with the '92 Riviera.  Opening the hood on the Riviera brings with it the grille...just down right ugly when its open.

To compensate, I display the sticker (officially called a Monroney sticker) on the Riviera same as I mentioned above for the Reatta.  People are then somewhat impressed.  Reatta's were the most expensive Buick in 1991, and then the Riviera in 1992.  Both of my Buick coupes were near the $30K mark.  Quite a bit of money in '91 and '92 dollars.  Reatta convertibles were near the $37K mark!    

29 minutes ago, DShip said:

To compensate, I display the sticker (officially called a Monroney sticker) on the Riviera same as I mentioned above for the Reatta.  People are then somewhat impressed. 

Maybe I should give that a try. I don't have the sticker but I think I can get a replica. I have a flyer that I made up to put on the window that gives an overview of the Reatta but the Monroney sticker might be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imperial62 said:

Well, as an owner of a 1968 Front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado and previous owner of 1966-68 GM FWD cars, I believe GM had the ability to build a FWD automatic to handle the extra torque plus enough computer technology at the time to limit the application of engine hp to not damage the transmission.

GM had been building "modern" FWD transmissions since 1979 with the new gen of Riviera-Eldorado-Toronado and all GM programs.  As is usually the case with modern GM (about 1982 forward), it was a case of the bean counters overruling engineering and product development.  This hurt the Reatta and Fiero.

let's face it - GM has been a mess for years and we should just be thankful we have a Reatta at all. I knew when it was made, it was going to be 1 and done.  Like the last generation Riviera, GM put all they could into that car but never had a followup plan.  Just produce it for a 4 year cycle and move on. 

Also, flow technology has been around since the dawn of engines, it is highly disappointing GM could not tweak the Reatta as a normally aspirated engine to get 175 hp.  With a decent, better torque curve.  3.8 is pretty large for a V6, so torque numbers and bands have always been good for the Reatta.  I worked on Mazdas for years and their largest V6 never got over 2.5L.  It was more powerful than a 3.8 hp wise.

Jake If you want to get more out of your engine just do what I did this spring. Take the '88 cam and 9-1 pistons, clean up the exhaust ports and header and you will end up with about 190 HP. 2seater knows all about it and was very helpful in the process. 

I know this will sound silly to most of you - at one time I considered putting an engine cover on my motor just to give it a more modern look.  Some 3800s do have a similar cover on the engine. I got the idea by looking at the engine in my Chevy Equinox. I probably will never do it but as you can see I've thought about it quite a bit. I know the purist will cringe at sight of this but I like to say "What if" sometimes by using my computer skills. :)

3800_engine_cover3.jpg

• Haha 1

Personally I feel some folks are to hard on GM.  A lot goes into decision making, I have often wodered if the same folks that are hard on GM would have done the same things had they been in charge.  

GM has done more RIGHT than WRONG, IMHO.  Main stream press hasn’t always been fair to GM, again, IMHO.

Look at the Corvette, NOTHING in the world offers a better piece for anywhere the price, PERIOD. 

Dale in Indy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imperial62 said:

Dave

Which also makes me go hhhhmmmm, I wonder if performance parts can be purchased for the 3800? Circa 1988-1991.  I have never investigated. 

I doubt very much you will find anything performance related for the vin C engine. I have looked and looked over many years and have found nothing. The later models, especially the Series II has a fairly good market. The mid 80's through the mid'90's was a fairly rapid transition time for the 3.8/3800 until the Series II which remained relatively unchanged for a decade. Some cross breeding is possible, like people did with the SBC, but only incremental improvements are likely without compromising the basic reliability, emissions and long life. Boost is the most effective bang for the buck IMHO. 

10 hours ago, smithbrother said:

Personally I feel some folks are to hard on GM.  A lot goes into decision making, I have often wodered if the same folks that are hard on GM would have done the same things had they been in charge.  

GM has done more RIGHT than WRONG, IMHO.  Main stream press hasn’t always been fair to GM, again, IMHO.

Look at the Corvette, NOTHING in the world offers a better piece for anywhere the price, PERIOD. 

Dale in Indy 

No doubt the Corvette is a bargain relative to it's performance and price. Since GM has been the largest for a long time, they are a good target for sure and easy to hit. Not a defense of GM, they have made their share of mistakes and apparent short term thinking. Just when they get a product to where it should have been at the start, it gets cancelled? At the same time, they have produced a lot of reliable daily transportation for millions.

3 hours ago, Frogware said:

2seater -

Have you ever posted a parts list of your turbo setup??? Just curious what the costs are in doing the upgrade.

Thanks

-Scott

There really isn't a parts list. Almost all of the piping I have done is put together from junkyard manifolds I modified and then had ceramic coated. The turbochargers are swap meet specials or cast off parts, all the old Garrett T3 series, so housings and some parts can be swapped. If memory serves, one is from an '87 Turbo T'Bird, one from an '84 GN "hot air" setup and one from a carbureted '79 Riviera, a real mongrel bunch. I am not after maximum power, the rest of the drivetrain is still all stock, just looking for that little bit extra that is seamless in operation. Sort of a contradiction in terms. While I enjoy the journey and experimentation, I usually suggest one of the supercharged configurations that are pretty well sorted out and reliable if looking for a drop in. GM already did the engineering and did a pretty good job of it. Even that can be improved with some simple smoothing, matching ports, maybe a smaller pulley etc... 

Oh yeah, cost. I only purchased one new turbine housing for $230, but that was just to get a tighter A/R for the half engine setup, and not really needed. The rest of the stuff is junkyard prices or free. The most costly item is the ceramic coating for $200-$250 for each complete setup, but that isn't strictly needed either. Always willing to share and help if I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

There really isn't a parts list. Almost all of the piping I have done is put together from junkyard manifolds I modified and then had ceramic coated. The turbochargers are swap meet specials or cast off parts, all the old Garrett T3 series, so housings and some parts can be swapped. If memory serves, one is from an '87 Turbo T'Bird, one from an '84 GN "hot air" setup and one from a carbureted '79 Riviera, a real mongrel bunch. I am not after maximum power, the rest of the drivetrain is still all stock, just looking for that little bit extra that is seamless in operation. Sort of a contradiction in terms. While I enjoy the journey and experimentation, I usually suggest one of the supercharged configurations that are pretty well sorted out and reliable if looking for a drop in. GM already did the engineering and did a pretty good job of it. Even that can be improved with some simple smoothing, matching ports, maybe a smaller pulley etc... 

Oh yeah, cost. I only purchased one new turbine housing for $230, but that was just to get a tighter A/R for the half engine setup, and not really needed. The rest of the stuff is junkyard prices or free. The most costly item is the ceramic coating for $200-$250 for each complete setup, but that isn't strictly needed either. Always willing to share and help if I can.

That is what I thought, you would say. It's all good, if someday I decide to do something like that I might hit you up but for now all is well.

Thanks for the information! And I think being a Reatta owner requires some experimentation ;) because it is a Journey.

I don't post much but! I have two Lincoln continental 68 and 69. These car are very well built compared to the muscle cars. Yet there value will never reach that of the muscle cars! As far as the Reatta's, they might be under powered and all that, but there time has not come yet! If nothing else, there lack of numbers will be what will bring up their value!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dashmaster said:

Mecum selling prices. The 60K mile Coupe $ 2,750. The 1990 240 mile Select 60 $25,850. A new High and a new low for what looked like a  nice 89 Coupe.

If that is a new low then I must have got a steal of a deal for mine. It had 59,563 miles on it when I bought it for $2,200

Although I wish I could afford $25,850 I would have bought the Select 60.

I almost wonder if the recent weather there has anything to do with it???

Edited by Frogware (see edit history)

I think you did get a good deal. I think $2750 was a great deal on a 60K car.  I also believe both of the cars sold a auction were a good investment... for a young man. :)  If you were buying to turn a quick buck I think the coupe was the better deal.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 1:25 PM, 2seater said:

I doubt very much you will find anything performance related for the vin C engine. I have looked and looked over many years and have found nothing. The later models, especially the Series II has a fairly good market. The mid 80's through the mid'90's was a fairly rapid transition time for the 3.8/3800 until the Series II which remained relatively unchanged for a decade. Some cross breeding is possible, like people did with the SBC, but only incremental improvements are likely without compromising the basic reliability, emissions and long life. Boost is the most effective bang for the buck IMHO. 

i once had an eldelbrock power package on a 1978?3800.aluminum four barrel intake and carb plus a hotter cam.probably no parts interchange.

1 hour ago, handmedownreatta said:

i once had an eldelbrock power package on a 1978?3800.aluminum four barrel intake and carb plus a hotter cam.probably no parts interchange.

Yes, none of that would interchange. It sounds like an engine a friend has in an Anglia. Odd fire Buick 3.8, hot cam, four barrel intake all connected to a five speed manual trans. It really scoots in the lightweight car and seems to rev to the moon. 

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Yes, none of that would interchange. It sounds like an engine a friend has in an Anglia. Odd fire Buick 3.8, hot cam, four barrel intake all connected to a five speed manual trans. It really scoots in the lightweight car and seems to rev to the moon. 

Is that the old 3.8 that idled so rough? I remember people hating those engines in family cars because they felt like a spark plug wire was disconnected at idle. :)

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Is that the old 3.8 that idled so rough? I remember people hating those engines in family cars because they felt like a spark plug wire was disconnected at idle. :)

Yes, that's the one. The visual of a V8 distributor with two missing connections explained a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't just the balance shaft, the other big difference was the offset crank than made the cylinders 120 degrees apart. "Evenfire". Even funnier when Merc came out with the M112 3.2 V6 in 2000 it was a 90 degree with an offset crank and balance shaft something they copied again in the M271 that they so screwed up the balance shaft led to a class action suit.

Every time I take my coupe out the genXers can't believe the touch scream.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Every time I take my coupe out the genXers can't believe the touch scream.

Yea- I occasionally hear "what was it before you upgraded it?" and heard the doosey "it would've been worth more without the weird touch screen you put in it". Rude, clueless people. Everyone's so jaded now days because most (newer) cars have a touch-something-or-other. I just usually direct people to Wikipedia.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, Imperial62 said:

It will be interesting to see what the SS brings, right?  One of our truly collectible holy grail cars, with absolute minimal mileage ala 1976 Cadillac Eldorados and 1987 GNX's.  But - the room will not be filled with people who care a whole lot, in my opinion. 

I will bet it sells for $15,000 - unless one of us, like a Marck Barker type or such - spies it and bids on it.  But if there are not Reatta geeks in the crowd maybe even bidding against each other, then I think it's a $15,000 hammer. 

Compare that to most modern collector cars with the pedigree of a 1 of 60 production and the differences between the "normal" rare Reatta and a SS, and the other cars would likely sell for much more.   I am interested to see if this SS goes over $20K. 

I just checked the auction results and the Select Sixty  SOLD for $ 25,850.00... I thought it would have sold for more with only 240 miles...

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-322417/1990-buick-reatta-convertible/

Edited by NCBRIJEN (see edit history)