Best procedure & varnish for wood spoke wheels

erichill

My spokes are just about done. Really like the look of them now. No more drying issues and they're fully dry after application in less than 18hrs. One more coat to go. I will Scotch gray pad them (600 grit equivalent) then they will get their last coat of varnish. The wood appears now like a gun stock on a fine double barrel shotgun. Been working on the hubcaps too. 

IMG_20180120_201144739_LL.jpg

IMG_20180120_201153226_LL.jpg

IMG_20180120_201203323.jpg

I myself have been on and off with the bug but hey, it's that time of the year. They've been a lot of work but pictures don't do justjce on how they look in person. After all my initial issues with the varnish drying, I was beginning to think that they'd never dry, nevermind even get done. I'm very satisfied with how they've come out and the look of the Pettit Captain's Varnish. Now it's time to mash off the sprocket pattern on the hub and get them painted in the middle. Once that's done, then they'll get the rims painted. Then it's off to the pinstriper to stripe them. Then it's off to the tire shop to get the new WW and tubes mounted. Then it's back to the garage to mount them on the chassis. Then....................... Man, there's a lot of "thens" to go yet! LOL  Should have also mentioned I'm working on my hubcaps which are becoming another paint nightmare. I'll be posting more about them on my restoration thread.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, 46 woodie said:

Mick, how solvent is the Smiths CPES? When I hear epoxy I think of two parts and I wonder if it is thin enough to soak into the wood and especially the end grain. I wish I knew of this product when I restored my '46 Ford Woodie. I would like to start using it when I replace parts if necessary. Where can it be purchased?

Here ya go.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Smith's+Clear+Penetrating+Epoxy+Sealant&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ASmith's+Clear+Penetrating+Epoxy+Sealant

• 2 weeks later...