And The Bottom Line Is......

I don't mean this as criticism. If nothing else, my post here will get the seller a little more exposure for his car. It is 24 degrees here, and having some interest in C2 corvettes, ( I've owned several, and currently have a 327/350 '67 coupe) I found myself reading this sellers lengthy ad. In all honesty, I found it to be entertaining, and not a bad way to spend some time on a cold morning with a cup of coffee. However, what struck me after digesting it all,  (this probably ruins it for you) was the realization that what he has for sale is a wrecked 67 coupe with NOM. He's honest about that if you read everything.  The ad is the finest example :rolleyes: of a diversionary, written smoke screen that I have read in a long time. :huh:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevrolet-Corvette-427-Tri-Power-3x2-UNRESTORED-ORIGINAL/263413402665?hash=item3d54a98c29:g:a2wAAOSwO7haSaOF&vxp=mtr

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Interesting ad to say the least. Having located, and brokered a 1967 427 Corvette last summer I'm very accustomed to seeing and reading these type of ads from egotist owners.

How do I know the car I was involved with was a real 427?

The 1st time I saw it was in 1979-1980. Wanted to buy it but it was more than I could afford. So I bought a more affordable 1974 Corvette 454 convertible that was parked beside it on a used car lot, trading in my 1965 Corvette convertible that needed a full resto. Big mistake, i now know.

I was able to authenticate it's original engine option by the GMVV of Canada documents as well as speaking with the second owner, who bought it from the original owner. It doesn't have it's original engine either. But the rest of the car was very original, including the optional factory leather seat material and hardtop that has not been on the car since 1982 and most of the laquer paint.

It was originally sold here in Ontario Canada and now has made it's way to Europe

Like reading a short novel. 

GOOD:

Rare. Postwar GMs aren´t, Corvettes aren´t, but the parts assemblage when it was a week old was.

Has tinted windshield, which only 29% of ´67 Corvettes have.

Owner seems  to follow pony car, Chevelle, and Corvette statistics assiduously. Stats  shown suggest car is in 6-figure country. 1st time I´ve ever heard of that for V-8 Corvettes. I have trouble imagining paying 700 grand for any car Augie Duesenberg  hasn´t passed his hand over(a price given for another ´67 Corvette at an auction in 2014), unless it had a sack full of gold Rolex watches in the trunk.

New owner won´t be burdened with the original 50-yr-old block and heads; these have been replaced with something else.

There seems to be a spiraling-upward interest in Chevrolet Corvettes and this may be easy to sell. 

BAD:

Is ¨engine scattered¨ a bad thing?

¨Front end damage¨ is a little vague.

UGLY:

No photos. My mistake, there are 10 or 15, but in a crowded garage with no clear view of the front end.

The asking price is veddy veddy good, to quote a British merchandiser, unless one were aspiring to drive it home.

There probably is a good story about how any imperfections in the car got there...but it got left out.

I agree with 31Caddy that it´s a fine example of writing. The seller has a great knowledge of post-WWII cars and I feel like I know a ton about Corvettes now. I saw a story in a barnfind publication a few years ago that went on and on about a ´69 Mustang Boss 302 for sale that was crazy rare, super fast, worth one or two hundred grand, blah, blah, blah, but when you got to page 12  you found out it hadn´t been on the road since 1978, when it was driven over a fire hydrant. Great writing, though. Who would read the story if it started out saying ¨Used Car Driven Over Fireplug, Now Worth 750 bucks.¨  

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

He insists his car is investment grade.........interesting verbiage for a parts car. If forgot........a wrecked parts car that’s incomplete. Must be one of those dreamers I keep hearing about on the news.......... good and great Corvetts are easy to find......... why would anyone bother with this one. 

My attention wandered. Writing is  a creative art that has the potential to draw exciting pictures in your minds eye. He writes at a level with those Craigslist style pictures he posted. Ho-Hum.

I sold an '86 Jaguar XJS on Ebay a little over 10 years ago and a non-bidder, car dealer sent me a message of praise on the description, hardly a word about the car but all kinds of sizzle about owning it.

The way this guy whines on and on with an underdog tone you'd swear he was selling a MoPar.

I just came in from my climate controlled garage. I use my phone to set the thermostat and that is connected to a 20 port Cisco switch, possibly the only setup like that in the county. Any of you guys run a 20 port in your garage? Yeah, it's a rare setup.

Anyway, I have this haunting urge to pull a copy of Lovecraft off the shelf to curl up with. Must be the dismembered Corvette making me think like that.

Bernie

It's not the worst one I have read.  I know a guy who bought a tag off of EBAY 067 of 1953 Corvette only getting ready to sell the car with paperwork and original frame, numbers matching car for judging.  (Down in Florida)  Problem is the guy never gets the cars he is selling judged. (White Flag) and he started with only a tag, he paid $10,000 for the tag in New York.  Talented guy yes, creep, yes.

If you look at enough ads for any particular make/model/era of car you can usually figure the car out in the first 2 or 3 sentences.   For a musclecar (especially a vette) I want to see "original paperwork" and "original engine" and "ownership history" pretty quick or I'm on to something else.

18 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The way this guy whines on and on with an underdog tone you'd swear he was selling a MoPar.

Ouch, my experience is just the opposite.

Vette guys are the most egotistical group out there.

As a good friend recently told me. "They are just a Chevrolet."

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The way this guy whines on and on with an underdog tone you'd swear he was selling a MoPar

Ouch. I also own a Cuda.:huh:

With most makes/ marks,  there seem to be those striving for anal retentive perfection,  even though it was never achieved when new.  I know of Model A guys, Cord guys, Vette Guys, Mopar Guys, mustang guys, all that share this.  It's all an effort to make their car seem more special than anyone else's.  I like playing with some of these guys,  especially when I have something to one up them with.  They get so P'oed that it's hilarious.  

I thought it was interesting that he purported to be an "Ebay Power Seller" with "100% positive feedback" and "Top Rated Plus" which requires an extensive reliable trading history, yet he has not sold a single item! Sounds like a crook to me. I don't buy from anyone on Ebay without a "track record".....just my opinion.

What are the odds on this being a scam. His first car being sold on eBay. Very tactful and knowledgeable about corvettes. In Illinois US but he says it is right hand drive. He may be in a country that has right hand drive. A real car guy would know this.  Just thinking outside the box. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

The listing is ended. Maybe his ad worked for him, and I hope it did. What do I know anyway?:unsure:

Oh no .. it's still available according to his "individual" website, if you poke around a little.

http://www.ss427.com/1967-chevrolet-corvette-sting-ray-427-tri-power-3x2-fully-documented-barn-find-for-sale-by-owner.htm

And if you really poke around, you can find the photos that show that the front end of the vehicle is not just damaged, it's non-existent!

1967 427 3x2 Corvette (07).jpg

On 1/1/2018 at 2:34 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Anyway, I have this haunting urge to pull a copy of Lovecraft off the shelf to curl up with.

Very appropriate as this is the Cthulhu of eBay listings!

:lol:

15 hours ago, smithbrother said:

If EVERYONE chose NOT to buy from a ZERO seller, please tell me how the seller would ‘EVER’ get a rating?

If YOU are a seller,,,,, YOU had to start out as ZERO, maybe YOU are still at zero, maybe.

Dale in Indy

It's actually quite easy to Geta good rating as it's based on your total eBay experience.  buy some cheap junk.  For every transaction,  you will get the only thing a seller can give you a positive click and words of praise for knowing how to pay for an item.  Get 10 of those under your belt and you Geta good rating.  Remember when you see someone selling something with 100 percent feedback, even when it's a few hundred,  that may be the first item that seller has ever sold.  You will only know if you go into eBay feedback history and see if it's buying or selling feedback. 

On 1/2/2018 at 1:26 PM, 31 Caddy said:

Ouch. I also own a Cuda.:huh:

As a former 1969 Dodge charger R/T owner along with a pile of other MoPars (Chryco's as we called 'em back in the day in eastern Canada) I have come to despise a whole lotta recent MoPar owners who scorned them back in the 70's. Why? Because they brought the Anal Retentive Attitude from the Corvette clubs with them after they realized old Dodge's were now hip and "investment worthy" Or easy to fake? You be the judge. I just follow the money.