1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

Though a phaeton, the Tom Mix Cord just might top the 415,$$$ if offered at the right auction.

Dave, I think I agree with you, although the thought of driving Tom Mix's death car is a little unnerving....

• Sad 1

The high water mark for a Auburn speedster is a million two.  

52 minutes ago, Curti said:

The high water mark for a Auburn speedster is a million two.  

Dead to rights Salon 12?  Or 851/852?

A correct no stories salon 12 would blow past 1.2 all day long. An 851/852 high water mark for a private sale is 1.5, so I have been told by two different people in the “loop”. I am not familiar with the exact car, but believe the gentlemen who passed the information on to me. Seven figures for good cars are a regular occurrence now.

The two 36 super charged phaeton barn finds I mentioned here back in the fall both sold before the holidays. They were very complete and rust free. What surprised me was they stayed in Canada. I was sure they would have gone to the US with the Canadian $ being so low. Sorry had to come back and correct this as they were both Auburns. Give my head a shake.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, edinmass said:

A correct no stories salon 12 would blow past 1.2 all day long.

There are 3, 4, ?

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

Dave, I think I agree with you, although the thought of driving Tom Mix's death car is a little unnerving....

Well, would you drive Tom Mix´s Packard? It´s not for sale, but next time you drive through Murdo, SD, it´s at the Pioneer Auto Show Museum.

Photo credit: Trip Advisor and Pioneer Auto Show

tom-mix-s-packard.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are 3, 4, ?

Three.......and a half. And a bunch of floor sweepings.

5 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Well, would you drive Tom Mix´s Packard? It´s not for sale, but next time you drive through Murdo, SD, it´s at the Pioneer Auto Show Museum.

Photo credit: Trip Advisor and Pioneer Auto Show

tom-mix-s-packard.jpg

All day long!  But he didn't die in the Packard...he died in the Cord.  Probably meaningless to the driving experience, just eerie....

44 minutes ago, trimacar said:

All day long!  But he didn't die in the Packard...he died in the Cord.  Probably meaningless to the driving experience, just eerie....

The Packard is a 845?   I think the celebrity ownership is worth a bump, but not enough to top the Cabriolet.   Most of the guys on here have at least an idea who Tom Mix is but very shortly that will go away.  

I've always thought that celebrity ownership added minimal value to a car, but that doesn't seem to be the real world case, as people pay premiums for a car owned or associated with celebrities or other well known personages.  I think, in order for it to add value in the minds of those people, then it must be documented quite well.  "Washington slept here" gets kind of old after the 100th time, so just saying that someone said, that someone said, that someone rode in a car really gets weak.

I feel the same way about movies and cars that appear in them.  At least the ownership mentioned above is some history, a car being in a movie is just a made-up occurrence, so how that can add significant value is beyond my comprehension.  I realize that a lot of people are proud of their cars being "movie car stars" and that's fine, I was in a movie with two cars myself in my younger days, and have a fond memory of meeting the actors and being on the set.  As those of you who've been in movies know, it can be boring.  I asked Jack Warden, between two well spaced takes, if it was always this slow.  His reply was yes, but it has its moments!

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Dead to rights Salon 12?  Or 851/852?

852  PB Gooding   

I can think of a few movies that really gave the car an emblazoned spot in history thus promoting it's value well beyond any other example.  One would have to be the 32 in American Graffiti.  There were other cars including the 58 Impala but really the most focal thin in that movie is the 32.  It's just short of a movie about the mishaps and triumphs of Milner's 32. 

No better way to have documentation about your car than 30 minutes of onscreen performance that anyone with gear oil in their veins hasn't atleast seen once.   It also wasn't wrecked or part of a fleet of them like the Duke's of Hazard or Cristine.  At any point in any scene it's shown,  you know that is the car. Some other cars even earlier ones come to mind but many aren't as recognizable or the movies aren't nearly as common. 

54 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

This is my Wife, Christine.

Bernie, in all the photos you post of your wife, she seems to have that long-suffering look....writ LARGE.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Three.......and a half. And a bunch of floor sweepings.

Just to clear things up there is/was the black one with an orange interior on Long Island, one at the Greenwich show 2017, I think the interior was black same or different car? Over the past few years I've noticed a fair number of Pebble Beach level cars getting RErestored, is that more common than most people notice? I remember working on a fully restored Type 55 Bugatti in the 1970's, took it down to the last nut and bolt save the engine & transmission, it ran  CCCA & AACA when finished, now it is up for auction this month in Arizona after a THIRD full restoration

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

Bernie, in all the photos you post of your wife, she seems to have that long-suffering look....writ LARGE.

Oh, that. Our house was built in 1853 and has a kitchen addition from 1872. It is all maple wainscotted and I have tried to keep it original. Problem is, the screen door latch is a little fidgety. One time it caught when she went through the screen door and strained herself. Ain't been the same since.

Bernie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Oh, that. Our house was built in 1853 and has a kitchen addition from 1872. It is all maple wainscotted and I have tried to keep it original. Problem is, the screen door latch is a little fidgety. One time it caught when she went through the screen door and strained herself. Ain't been the same since.

Bernie

Is that how she got her wiry figure?

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Packard is a 845?   I think the celebrity ownership is worth a bump, but not enough to top the Cabriolet.   Most of the guys on here have at least an idea who Tom Mix is but very shortly that will go away.  

I don´t know what model the Packard is...but emailed the museum to ask. They also have a couple of Cord 812s, a ´34 Auburn Phaeton, and a 1928 Peerless.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Or maybe it was the kitchen utensils and new vacuum cleaners you gave her as Christmas gifts.. :-)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trimacar said:

Is that how she got her wiry figure?

They really need to screen these posts.

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

They really need to screen these posts.

I was surely not trying to slam anyone, but I've gotten in these jambs before....

On 1/3/2018 at 5:01 AM, alsancle said:

I wrote the museum to ask what model. They didn´t say, but told me they picked the 1931 Tom Mix Packard up in 1960, from a dealer named Bob Adams. Also, that they have a 1914 Crow-Elkhart($11,000) and a 1911 Stoddard-Dayton(4-door Touring) they´d like to sell.