Wow what a car!

Seafoam65

15 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Only 4B and already a vinyl top? I thought they came out later than that.

I included a pic of the Fisher Body plate to demonstrate the original  exterior/interior color. This is an original Flame Red with black custom interior car, no vinyl top. It doesnt present itself in the pics but the actual material used for the vinyl top is the same material I had on a `69 Lincoln Mark...so I think it is a "Ford" material.

Tom

12 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Looks like that vinyl top was added to a car that was born without it.  Note the moulding under the back window was retained, but original vinyl top cars didn't have that moulding.

Tom - let us know what that Gran Sport sells for, when it goes across the block.

Alex,

I wont be there when the car crosses the block, I will be at another auction house. The final result will be public record,

Tom

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

I've never seen the neg battery cable secured to the valve cover. Something about a 65 that I'm not familiar with? 

Not correct. The clamp belongs on the pass side valve cover and is for the wiring which ultimately feeds the alternator and cold/hot light switch.

Tom

• Like 1

This is a VERY tough crowd...

I have a '63 Riv that just came in and there's simply NO WAY I'm going to post it here and let it get picked apart. It's decent, but if that red one doesn't measure up, my car will get absolutely murdered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I have a '63 Riv that just came in and there's simply NO WAY I'm going to post it here and let it get picked apart. It's decent, but if that red one doesn't measure up, my car will get absolutely murdered.

Almost as tough a crowd as the Model T guys on the MTFCA forum!  Man, when you ask someone's opinion of your car on that forum, you better be prepared for facts and figures if ANYTHING is wrong, from number of rivets to creases in splash aprons to how many slip slotted slit fitters were used to fit the slits......

C'mon, Matt, put it out there and let the Riviera guys have some fun!

10 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'll have to take a peek at it on your website once you post it there. I'm just curious about it.

6 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

There's a difference, though.  If you have a car that's represented as "decent" (nice driver, older restoration, etc.), folks are more forgiving of things that aren't quite "right".  In a way, they're kind of thinking out loud or making mental notes rather than criticizing.  OTOH, if you have a vehicle which is supposed to be an example of the restorer's art, then folks are going to be a little more particular and pointed.

You've also got to consider that there are folks who will pick things apart just to show how much they know.  Those guys would have a field day with my car. :D  Of course, they would no doubt be happier with themselves than with my response.

• Like 3

OK, fine. Just go easy, boys. I took it in on trade because the bodywork is super straight and clean, it has working factory A/C, and I really dig the silver interior. Merely driver grade and still needs some TLC (little stuff not working like radio, horn, antenna). We fixed the A/C already. Appears to have a TH400 installed, no Dynaflow. Two floor patches but the rest of the sheetmetal is original; not a rusty car--comes from Tennessee. Drives nice. Not expensive.

Have at it.

DSC_9233.JPG.ff6b12069aae6ad8ecd8bbd38e8e130a.JPGDSC_9083.JPG.1b201c36e15ef646bb7b0b79a0e025fa.JPGDSC_9123.JPG.6a5dbc775a4654a845f045438c4e6169.JPGDSC_9125.JPG.c284452654cc8b77428de651fe7d5446.JPGDSC_9221.JPG.1c7739d9e89efbf4a265408e07c955d4.JPGDSC_9237.thumb.JPG.4dd878101aff882e1b326467ab8a0895.JPGDSC_9241.JPG.d64729c3a2b1624a89895468c68267d2.JPG20171219_153821.thumb.jpg.fc7064df6cf2189e1f4f1c0dbfd5df33.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

After buying my 64, I wanted to clean up the engine bay, not restore it. Most of the blue paint on the engine block had peeled off. So I painted what I could reach with high-heat black paint. Kill me for it, whatever.

46 minutes ago, bodayguy said:

Auction is this afternoon. Looks there is also a white 63 Rivi going across the block in a little while.

It just went across, sold for $17,500 ...

1-213541_Front_3-4_Web_jpg.png.60d8c3d0f2d8bb43644946a4d7182c55.png

The '65 GS is 80 lots away, probably a few hours to get to it?

Snowed in so kind of watching it online ...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

OK, fine. Just go easy, boys. I took it in on trade because the bodywork is super straight and clean, it has working factory A/C, and I really dig the silver interior. Merely driver grade and still needs some TLC (little stuff not working like radio, horn, antenna). We fixed the A/C already. Appears to have a TH400 installed, no Dynaflow. Two floor patches but the rest of the sheetmetal is original; not a rusty car--comes from Tennessee. Drives nice. Not expensive.

Have at it.

Does the serial number on the engine match the VIN?

31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Have at it.

DSC_9233.JPG.ff6b12069aae6ad8ecd8bbd38e8e130a.JPGDSC_9083.JPG.1b201c36e15ef646bb7b0b79a0e025fa.JPGDSC_9123.JPG.6a5dbc775a4654a845f045438c4e6169.JPGDSC_9125.JPG.c284452654cc8b77428de651fe7d5446.JPGDSC_9221.JPG.1c7739d9e89efbf4a265408e07c955d4.JPGDSC_9237.thumb.JPG.4dd878101aff882e1b326467ab8a0895.JPGDSC_9241.JPG.d64729c3a2b1624a89895468c68267d2.JPG20171219_153821.thumb.jpg.fc7064df6cf2189e1f4f1c0dbfd5df33.jpg

Matt,  You state that you think the car has a TH400 in it.  Look at the engine code and see if that's not a '64 or '65 engine as well.  The '63 engines were painted silver.  There are a couiple of things that would be easy to do so there would be no nit picking.  Some things are pretty obvious.  Not having a Dynaflow is probably a good thing if/when it comes time to service it.    

Have at it you say:

1) console vinyl missing

2) orientation of the air cleaner and absence of a decal for the air cleaner

3) Why is the steering wheel not color coordinated to the rest of the interior. 

Otherwise it appears to be a nice late year production car.

Ed

PS - turn the battery around and get the pos post away from the sheet metal on the bottom of the hood.  Ask me about shorting out an entire electrical system because I had the terminals on the wrong sides. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I think the steering wheel is original and used to be silver like the rest of the interior, it's just discolored by time and sun.

Unfortunately, the engine number is obscured. I'm not going to pull the valley pan on an inexpensive car just to find out if it's numbers-matching--it doesn't really matter and doesn't appear to be. We spent a pile of money on detailing, A/C, and tires. The next guy can enjoy it while he improves the little stuff that remains. Runs great, no smoke, not a rusty car, nice bodywork, gorgeous interior. Good starter car for someone.

20180117_165857a.jpg.a76776fceed19a5cebc9c90f94a69482.jpg

That looks like a TH400 pan to me, too:

20180117_142413a.jpg.99f03b65b5080fbd9defc2f6a7b0115d.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Matt, 

before removing the valley cover, look at the other side of the block to see if the engine code is visible.  Here's an illustration as to where it's located.

You're looking at two letters in the production code.  In sequence starting in '63 look for a J, then for '64 look for a K, for '65 an L, and for 66 an M

the other letter will be a J, W, or X.  J is for a 401, W is for a 425, and X is for a super wildcat dual four block.

So most '63's came with a 401, if it's a '63 block, you're looking for a J T,  all '64 Rivieras were 425's so that code would be a KW.  all years 63 - 66 had 401s and 425s.  All nailheads were painted green from the factory except for the '63 Riviera which was painted silver, and the 66 Riviera which was painted red.  There are other letters that designate one of the 401s that may have come from the Skylark GS series.  The Engine Serial number matches the VIN from the original car  The engine in the illustration is a 401 from 1966 - MT.  Don't worry about the numbers in the engine code, just the letters

.  5a5fdd98b3f19_Nailheadproductioncodestamping.jpg.7bfbeddfaa4f77334d9e774f241ad8bd.jpg

That second digit looks like a "J" doesn't it? I'll check on the other side tomorrow and see what else is there. I don't believe this is the original engine, the half-visible numbers don't appear to match the VIN. It looks like 7551 but the VIN isn't anywhere close to that. So non-original engine but maybe still a '63. I'll verify tomorrow.

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

This car points out one of the problems with over-restoration: every shortcoming tends to disproportionately detract.

Car is not over restored, original in many aspects including the interior save for the dash pad and the wood side panels. The items which are not "correct" are a result of poor restoration and/or ignorance

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

That`s why I posted pics and limit my comments to questions raised. I know way too much about these cars to accurately represent the average buyer and the last thing I would want is to get involved with someone`s sale or potentially repress anyone`s participation. A few years ago our forum developed the "Riviera Police" and it was overall ugly...not good.

Tom Mooney

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

That second digit looks like a "J" doesn't it? I'll check on the other side tomorrow and see what else is there. I don't believe this is the original engine, the half-visible numbers don't appear to match the VIN. It looks like 7551 but the VIN isn't anywhere close to that. So non-original engine but maybe still a '63. I'll verify tomorrow.

Hi Matt,

You might get more exposure by opening another thread with title.

Tom

1 minute ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Matt,

You might get more exposure by opening another thread with title.

Tom

I don't care enough to do that. I only posted it because multiple people expressed an interest in seeing it. To me, it's a $15,000 car that needs TLC, but not valuable enough to sweat through the pedigree and worry about perfection. It's a beater that someone can have some fun with. You'd be a fool to buy it and try to make it perfect.

PS: The red one just sold for $107,000...

• Haha 1

That red GS IS nice, but 107K??? I know the perfect ones have brought this and a little more, but I really think somebody had a few too mant Barrett Jackson cocktails before the bidding began.

48 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Car is not over restored, original in many aspects including the interior save for the dash pad and the wood side panels. The items which are not "correct" are a result of poor restoration and/or ignorance

Tom

Over-restoration can be a matter of intent as much as accomplishment.  This looked like a car where the rate of fire exceeded his ability to aim.

Good observation on the "LX" being stamped so close together and then, there's that "9".

More and more enticing examples are showing up for sale. Have to keep reminding myself to stick with my project.

Matt, your '63 is plenty nice to me. Yes, fun to own and drive. A late '63 or not, odd the interior is closer to a '63 except for a '64 shifter and the exterior being more of a '64 (engine colour and hood ornament). My early '63 has a 120 MPH Electro-cruise Speedo, no ribbed applique on the dashboard and no "Buick" letters on the rear deck lid among other details. Off topic I know, but I'd like to learn what you did to restore your A/C.

John B.