2018 Reatta resolutions

AZVET

What are you planning on doing with/to your Reatta(s) this coming year?

I plan to take the plunge and attempt to repair the dash and console lights on my 88.  I already have a power inverter and light sensor from one of the vendors here.  I just need to be brave enough to tear into the dash.  I lifted the dash carpet off this summer and took the hand vac to it so it looks nicer.  I found that the dash plastic is in poor shape with quite a few broken parts and cracks.  That dash carpet will be going back on after the repair for sure.

This year I had my hood repainted and clear coated as It had a fair amount of clear coat damage from the Arizona sun.  The painter said to bring the car back in a week so he could repair a couple places where the clear coat had runs.  I went back a week later and the shop was closed.  Everything was gone!  I did not know the guys name and I had paid him in cash.  Looks like I will be attempting to wet sand one hand-sized and one quarter-sized spot myself and using a spray can to apply a light coat of clear.  I am worried that I will sand through to the primer though.  Wish me luck!  I got what I paid for though as the painter did not really charge me very much.  He had previously taken some dents out of my wife's SUV so I thought he could be trusted. :(

The last and biggest fix will be to replace the intake manifold gasket.  I still have an oil leak.  I replaced gaskets for the oil pump, water pump, valve covers and oil pan this year so this  should be the last one to do.  I already replaced my oil pressure switch so I know the leak is not coming from there.

I plan on taking an in depth look at some of the serviceable parts since I found out that when I removed my MAF sensor and it said Made in Japan on it. I think this may be what has been causing my intermittent loss of power when I used the overdrive.

The previous owner use to take the car in to a random shop and I think they put foreign parts on it.

Edited by Frogware (see edit history)

3 hours ago, KDirk said:

The OEM MAF sensor was a Japanese sourced part, pretty certain Hitachi made it for GM. Which is not to say the one you have isn"t faulty,  or that it isn't an aftermarket replacment. 

Oh okay I didn't know that thank you for the info. I will have to check it out maybe it is faulty.

I just plan to drive it more often.  Its always a toss-up between the Reatta and the Riviera.  Sometimes it just a matter of which one is easier to get to since they are parked in a long vinyl clad igloo shelter front to back - back to front in a straight line.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DShip said:

I just plan to drive it more often.  Its always a toss-up between the Reatta and the Riviera...

That's a good resolution for the new year!  I drive my Reatta often during the warm months but I don't put a lot of miles on it.  My wife and I are retired and have lots of time on our hands. We like to take "day trips" to interesting places we read about in the newspapers or magazines.  We tell everyone that it's our hobby.  I also like to go to cruse-ins on Saturday mornings to talk with other car enthusiast. I never see another Reatta but it's still a lot of fun to have people look at my Reatta and say, "What is that?".  :D  Get out and drive that Reatta!

• Like 1

I plan on changing my harmonic balancer and re-installing my previous used one to see if it is any quieter. I have figured out that the balancer

clatters a bit before the engine warms up and goes into closed loop mode which gives it more spark advance.

I live on a hill and usually leave in the downhill direction and thus not much throttle and no clatter.  Going up the hill it clatters noticeably and

no I never warm it up. Got oil pressure?  Go...

Lets see...  large socket

breakdown bar

Pipe extension

Turn the key and it should pop loose.....

21 minutes ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

I plan on changing my harmonic balancer and re-installing my previous used one to see if it is any quieter. I have figured out that the balancer

clatters a bit before the engine warms up and goes into closed loop mode which gives it more spark advance.

I'm trying to understand how the balancer is causing a clatter that effects the spark timing when the engine is cold. Could you please give more details on your line of thought about how that is happening until the engine goes into closed loop?

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm trying to understand how the balancer is causing a clatter that effects the spark timing when the engine is cold. Could you please give more details on your line of thought about how that is happening until the engine goes into closed loop?

I have started the engine cold and in diagnostics mode ( as I recall) the spark advance is limited to about 20-25 degrees and when it switches to the closed loop

program the timing advance goes as high as 46 degrees or so. When I go up the hill under half throttle and warmed up in closed loop (or is it open loop - I forget which) I cannot hear any harmonic balancer clatter.

Since you are curious I will check my conclusions tomorrow and report back

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Is that those 5000 mile heads from that '88? Good for you!

10-4 on the heads. I detailed what I did with them over on ROJ some time ago. All the intake valves were replaced due to rust and pitting, as part of what ruined the rest of the engine from water intrusion. Was a real shame. The block is likely junk due to deep rust pitting in two cylinders. Appreciate the heads Dave

So I ran my little test to see if I could duplicate or verify my results and of course I could not.

22 hours ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

I have started the engine cold and in diagnostics mode ( as I recall) the spark advance is limited to about 20-25 degrees and when it switches to the closed loop

program the timing advance goes as high as 46 degrees or so. When I go up the hill under half throttle and warmed up in closed loop (or is it open loop - I forget which) I cannot hear any harmonic balancer clatter.

Since you are curious I will check my conclusions tomorrow and report back

In both closed and open loop modes the spark advance was about 34 to 50 degrees and I did not hear any "clattering" noise from the balancer. The only thing different from a normal startup was the AC was off - not in auto as usual. I will continue to monitor this noise (or lack of noise) and hopefully figure it out. I'll open a new thread when I figure something out...........

Well me and my Reatta have a lot planned for 2018! In the coming weeks, I will be replacing strut mounts, and struts. Later on once more $$ comes in, I want to rebuild the whole transmission, and I will be going to San Francisco (1800 miles approx in the Reatta) to an 80's centered car show, and I also want to look into maybe going to a National Reatta Meet later in the year too :)

For 2018 there are lots of thing I would like to do....things that I need to do .........and things I can't do anymore.

Come the end of March 2018 I will have been retired 20 years......when I retired I guesstomated there were 25 years of projects awaiting my attention......I started strong, fixed lots of thing that need repair/replaced.

I strongly suggest to anyone getting ready to retire or maybe just starting retirement (Ronnie) go for a mix of thing you want to do and what you need to do.......and don't neglect your health and check-ups.

I want to go to the Denver meet but I will wait until it is almost time and depending on my wifes health, make the decision.

Need to thin out my "stuff" ....I have a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible that I purchased in 1968...work on "freshening" it started strong but has been going slowly...that needs to be finish soon.

Need to sell the 1939 Buick Century to someone that has the time to give it the treatment it deserves....it is taken to local shows and maybe get 150 a year, but there are things I would like to do but there are other higher priorities.

Hope to thin out my stuff.......when the Corvair is finished, there are lots of Corvair parts to get rid of.....things like a 1968 complete front suspension that is only use to hold a tarp in place.

Have a scale collection that needs to be thinned.........also a collection of hand water pumps ('20-'30 brass) some have been restored others waiting.

I recommended in another post for Reatta owners to consider joining the Buick Driving Enthusasts (BDE) division of the BCA.....already several Reatta owners show up for the tours and they are great for seeing new thing, meeting new people that like cars like us, and driving your Reatta..........Info online and in the Bugle

Happy new Year

PS just heard that my only granddaughter got engaged New Years eve. 

Just got an update from the BDE on the Spring Tour.......May 14-17 Reedsburg Wisc

\

1965.jpg

11-14 001.jpg

DSC00115.JPG

#2 _39 Buick Century - 579.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

I strongly suggest to anyone getting ready to retire or maybe just starting retirement (Ronnie) go for a mix of thing you want to do and what you need to do.......and don't neglect your health and check-ups.

Barney,

That's quite a list of things to accomplish in one year. I hope you get them all done. I am retired and my wife is a well.  Your points about retirement are well taken. I spend more time getting checkups and attending to my health than most people. I have several medical issues that require attention on a regular basis but thank goodness they don't prevent me from doing the things I want to do. They just slow me down.. Thank you for posting the pictures of your collection. That looks like a really nice old Buick.  I wish you would have included a photo of your Reatta. I would love to see it. I intend to check out the BDE. It sounds like something I would enjoy.

Sorry for not posting the only Reatta I have at the moment.

A little history first, our first Reatta was a 1990 Burgundy coupe with red (burgundy) interior that I purchased for the wife.  We purchased it from the original owner (lady) who was in sales and had just had a baby so the Reatta did not work for her ...it was about a year old but had about 24K because she was in sales.  We were not searching for a Reatta but that car got me started, next was the White/red 1991 convertible which we purchased in 1993 and had it for 22 years. Since that time I think the count is around 11 Reattas, most were '90's, there were 2 '89's,  and 3 '91's.

Our only Reatta today is the Black/red 1991 coupe which we purchased from Bulguri in 2009 with almost 17K .  It has been to a few national meets and achieved Gold Senior and a this year at Brookfield it got it's Elite Archival.

The last picture is the three 1991 Reattas all together...white convertible on the far end, the black coupe, and the Maui Blue coupe with blue interior went to Savanna GA when we purchased the black car.

9 22 09 2.jpg

12737120352_266733809_IM1_07_240x180_A_240x180.jpg

3 1991 1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Come the end of March 2018 I will have been retired 20 years......

Come June, 2018, I'll be retired 15 years.  Was lucky to retire at the age of 54 in 2003 when the company offered folks with 20 or more years of service a fantastic exit package.  It might take me twice as long to accomplish projects, but I'm just as busy as I was before retirement.

Sell my last remaining Reatta ('90 vert with 49,000 miles). But...replace it with an '89 coupe (any color but red/tan).  It's the same resolution I had last year but first need to find the coupe before selling the vert.

Items that I hope to work on in 2018. Have seats redone due to dry-rotting stitching.  Rewire the Keyless entry. Trunk release works good but doors are intermittent.  This is a GM keyless system Dealer Installed in 88. I will have to take some picture on the module and key fobs when I rewire it. Plan to continue to dive it more and attend as many show events I can. Happy New Year !!!

Happy New Year!! Here's a New Year's resolution for us all.

In the November/December issue of Antique Automobile magazine there is an excellent Letter to the Editor written by Richard Haldeman.  Those of you who have access to the magazine should read the article. It's on page 24.

The author begins by talking about Model A Fords he and his wife had owned over the years that brought a lot of enjoyment to them, even though they weren't show cars.  Then he went on to say,  "...I have observed many types of "old car people," all of whom can and should be encouraged in our hobby. Some folks are interested in only high-priced vehicles and restorations, others only want original vehicles, some collect hedgerow queens, and others want to drive old cars....".  That is what caught my eye and prompted me to post this.

He was talking about antique cars in general but what he said certainly applies to Reatta owners. The Reatta club, and members of this forum, are a diverse group with wide ranging visions of what we think a Buick Reatta should be. I agree that no matter how different we are, we should offer encouragement and help to those Reatta owners that don't share our vision.

We have members of this forum and the Reatta Div. who feel a Buick Reatta should be kept as close to stock as possible. A lot of those Reatta owners have low mileage cars that sit in the garage ready to be shown or judged and probably hardly ever see the highway.  Those are the cars that are most likely to increase in value in the future and they may be good investments.

There are a lot of Reatta owners like me who don't have low mileage cars but we still try to keep our cars in good condition. We own them just for the pleasure of driving and owning a unique car. We have little interest in having our cars judged, nor do we worry much about their value. It is common for us to make a few modifications that make our Reattas fit our vision of what a Reatta should be. Different wheels, bigger tires, rear spoilers, and tweaks to the interior are some of the things we do. We are the guys who just like to get out and drive our cars. I think we may be the largest group of Reatta owners.

A group that is quickly decreasing in numbers are the Reatta owners who buy their Reattas because they can get them cheap. Their vision is to have a car they can use for daily transportation for very little money. Little do they know...default_sad.png  I believe these cars would fit that category the author referred to as "hedgerow queens". They are cars that may have been parked because they have brake problems or electrical problems that are hard to diagnose and repair. Although these cars can be bought at rock bottom prices, the new owners quickly discover that it can be very expensive to repair them without proper knowledge and a good source of used parts. The Buick Reatta is a complicated car and not a car that you can take just anywhere to get it worked on. These are the Reatta owners that need the most help and encouragement from other Reatta owners. If they aren't able to achieve their vision for their Reatta it is most likely their Reatta will get parted out. Eventually that will drive up the price of good used parts for all of us.

No matter what your vision is for the Buick Reatta, I encourage you to make a New Year's  resolution to do what you can to help other Reatta owners in order to keep the hobby of Reatta ownership alive.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There are a lot of Reatta owners like me who don't have low mileage cars but we still try to keep our cars in good condition. We own them just for the pleasure of driving and owning a unique car. We have little interest in having our cars judged, nor do we worry much about their value. It is common for us to make a few modifications that make our Reattas fit our vision of what a Reatta should be. Different wheels, bigger tires, rear spoilers, and tweaks to the interior are some of the things we do. We are the guys who just like to get out and drive our cars. I think we may be the largest group of Reatta owners.

This fits me perfectly. Love road trips in the Reatta. I keep it garaged but drive it daily. It is completely stock because there is little I can do to improve the original design. It is a source of pride to keep all systems original and functional and at the same time add more mileage. Just rolled over 100K

• Like 1

I must say that I do like to keep my Reatta (and Riviera) factory correct.  I like to get it judged, but that does not mean I don't drive it.  Although I admit it gets stored from Nov to Apr, I do take it to weekly cruise-ins and car shows during Spring/Summer/Fall.  I try to drive it to either a BCA National or Regional meet yearly as long as meets are east of the Mississippi River.  It's a BCA Gold award winner and currently has 106K+ miles.  I am adamant that my Buicks' are meant to be driven. 

mine would be factory correct if i reinstalled the cassette player,[doesn't work]took the trailer hitch off,removed the 93 trans cooler[would look factory if i used all the riv parts], and put the awful factory wheels back on.plus things like hose clamps.oh and reinstalled the correct year radio module.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DShip said:

I am adamant that my Buicks' are meant to be driven. 

Good for you! I agree with that. It's good to know the award winners are also getting driven. I don't know much about Reattas that are judged so my off the cuff assessment of how that group of owners use their cars might have been incorrect.  I apologize to you guys for making some incorrect assumptions.

1 hour ago, handmedownreatta said:

mine would be factory correct if i reinstalled the cassette player,[doesn't work]took the trailer hitch off,removed the 93 trans cooler[would look factory if i used all the riv parts], and put the awful factory wheels back on.plus things like hose clamps.oh and reinstalled the correct year radio module.

I think I could put my car back to a factory correct condition without much problem. I still have the factory wheels and a trunk lid to replace the one I drilled holes in to mount the spoiler. The only cutting I've done that might be hard to put  back to factory spec is I shorted the exhaust pipes to allow me to install chrome exhaust tips that come straight out instead of turning down. I could probably find some used factory pipes to have welded on the muffler if needed. I doubt I will ever. I like the way it looks from the rear. :)

SAM_3167.JPG

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think I could put my car back to a factory correct condition without much problem. I still have the factory wheels and a trunk lid to replace the one I drilled holes in to mount the spoiler. The only cutting I've done that might be hard to put  back to factory spec is I shorted the exhaust pipes to allow me to install chrome exhaust tips that come straight out instead of turning down. I could probably find some used factory pipes to have welded on the muffler if needed. I doubt I will ever. I like the way it looks from the rear. :)

SAM_3167.JPG

i forgot id also need a factory muffler and a new trunk lid.

Ronnie, pretty well echo your sentiments above. Particularly the "uninitiated" who bought a cheap Reatta because it was cheap, and caught their eye. Many such owners have been burned by the pile on in costs and complications that arose after their purchase. These cars are the ones that have been a source of parts for many of us when the discouraged (and fiscally dinged owners) finally threw in the towel and just wanted to get a few hundred bucks out of what turned out to be  a bad decision.

We used to see a fair number of new, idealistic owners crop up on here having bought a beater because it was inexpensive and ran well enough to get it home. Not so much in the past two years or so, as many such cars have now been culled permanently.

I take no pleasure in saying so, but I have had a hand In dismantling 5 Reattae now, and only one of them was anywhere remotely close to a condition that may have merited repair or restoration. The others  (two of which Dave and I parted at his place and he can attest to) were rusted heaps with serious mechanical, electrical and safety issues to say nothing of their sorry cosmetic condition. Nobody was bringing these cars back, and very few were interested in even buying them for parts.

I lucked out and got the three I did myself cheap, and barring that they would have been scrapped by a yard with most good parts still on them. I type all this to point out that those of us who like to drive a Reatta would be wise to stockpile some parts NOW. The window of opportunity is rapidy closing on finding  parts cars at a reasonable price, as the largest percentage of beaters destined for parting out already have been, I think. Really, the sweet spot was about 3-4 years ago by my perception  as these days there are many fewer that show up on Craigslist cheap.

The limited number that are seen on CL now tend to be fairly decent mid-to high mileage cars with a few minor issues. I see far fewer $300 Reattas available presently  because so many in that class have already been taken out of circulation. Being comitted to maintaining multiple Reattas means I need to plan ahead,  and I have an enormous stock of things from electrical to glass to body to interior parts. It helps that I have concentrated on 88 ad 91 models only so I can focus my parts stock on those two years. 

In any case, anyone wanting to stay in a nice Reatta for the long term should be aware the availability of parts will become an issue (and already is in some respects) and try to budget funds and space to store things that are likely to be needed to keep the car roadworthy at a minimum. Cosmetic parts like hood emblems, trim pieces, side mirrors and vent windows which are easy to damage plus some interior component plastics that tend to break with age and sun exposure should be picked up now while they are still fairy easy to source. Some of these items may not be critical to keeping the vehicle running, but if you want a car you can take pride in, they do matter.

While mechanical parts are less an issue, they too are at a point where the last new vehicles to use some of the powertrain parts common to the Reatta were made in the late 90's. Aftermarket support for much of this stuff will go away in the next 10 years I imagine as there simply won't be demand for it on a scale to justify its ongoing production.

One needs to consider all this for the future of these cars, if they are to have one. There will be no aftermarket reproduction parts - save for a handful of small projects - like the convertible visor clips - initiated by dedicated owners - as there is not a profitable (enough) market for such an undertaking. These cars will not have the following of a 34 Ford coupe or 57 Chevy, so we will never have the luxury of ordering new body panels and the like out of a catalog. Due to their complexity in the electronics,  those will present a big challenge as well. Now is the time to plan for the future if you want a a Reatta  to be part of it.

KDirk 

I agree wholeheartedly with Kevin's statements about the availability of the "beater" Reatta and have no problem with parting them out as I find them. I did have a bit of guilt when I found that real nice 1990 Red/Tan in the West Bend salvage yard. That car was nicer then some of the cars I saw being driven by others. Same with that 1989 White/Burgandy in Oshkosh.

I also would like to say that I have been accused more then once of trying to retire with the prices I charge for parts. I don't get mad at those stements I really think they are funny as I try to help anyone I can with parts and I struggle with "Do I really want to sell this part and then go looking for a replacement for my inventory?" So before I give a guy a price I check around to see what the price is from my sources. If I can still get the part relatively cheap, so is my price. If not I charge more and that guy can either buy it or go look around.

So here is my plan for my 3 Reattas;

The year I lose free storage is the year the Black gets parted out. It's got 300,000 miles on it and is worth more in parts then I could ever get for it as a complete car. I just won't pay for storage. Then the Red is up for year round driving. I enjoy driving it, so while it will bother me to drive it in the winter that is just the way it will be. And as it has not seen any winters I hope to get 10-15 more years out of it. I'm 61 and that will be just about right. The 'vert will be the "Keeper" car. And being a 'vert it should hold it's value and probably be the one my kids would want.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Kevin,  I agree with every  point you made about the importance of having a supply of good used parts.  As I alluded to in my previous post, we need to help each other as much as possible to keep Reattas on the road. We do a pretty good job of doing that now here on the forum but we could do better at bringing together those who need parts, and the vendors and individuals who have a parts for sale.

I'm guilty of not doing as much as I could when someone requests a part here on the forum. One reason is if I know they can get the part they need from my Reatta (Amazon) Store I feel like I'm being too commercial by trying to push the Reatta Store. It's not a commercial store but rather a listing of Reatta parts that Amazon has for sale at reasonable prices but that doesn't change the way I feel about promoting it here on the forum.   Another reason is if I recommend a vendor who is in business to sell used parts, then I feel I'm showing favoritism between vendors.   Also I don't recommend individuals who I know have the parts because I don't know if they want to sell the part. The end result is the person needing the part has a hard time finding the part because I don't speak up. I suspect there are many members of this forum in the same position. I (we) need to find a way around feeling this way. If we could it would benifit both those trying to find parts and those wanting to sell them. If we can make it easier for new Reatta owners to find parts they need they are more likely to keep their cars on the road and out of the scrap yards. If we can help vendors sell more parts it will give them an incentive to keep a good supply of the parts on hand that we need.   Lets all start speaking up to help people find the parts and knowledge they need, especially when it's a new member of the forum who is looking for parts. They need our help the most.

EDIT: I should add that I get emails almost daily asking me if the Reatta Store have parts that I know are no longer available new. In that case I direct them to used parts vendors that should have the part they need, including Barney and some of the others that I don't consider to be "a business". That way they eventually get the part they need.

22 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I also would like to say that I have been accused more then once of trying to retire with the prices I charge for parts. I don't get mad at those stements I really think they are funny as I try to help anyone I can with parts and I struggle with "Do I really want to sell this part and then go looking for a replacement for my inventory?" So before I give a guy a price I check around to see what the price is from my sources. If I can still get the part relatively cheap, so is my price. If not I charge more and that guy can either buy it or go look around.

Dave I don't think a buyer could ask for more. Every time I have saw you post a price for a part on the forum I've considered it to be reasonable. Some people think because they bought a cheap car that they should be able to get cheap parts. That's not always the case. I have a friend in the auto parts business that has a sign hanging behind his counter that says, "Driving a cheap car is not always cheap!". That sign hit home for me years ago when I needed an alternator for my '78 Toyota pickup truck. At that time they didn't offer a rebuilt alternator for it or parts to rebuild it. I had to go to the dealer to get one and the price knocked me off my feet.

I don't sell a lot of parts, but periodically  someone will contact me looking for something. I don't mind helping where I can, but I don't make a big show of being a parts vendor either. If anyone has parts needs, feel free to drop me a line and if I can help I certainly will. I'm sitting on a lot of stuff that is large and cumbersome to store and wouldn't mind selling some as I have more than my own needs dictate.

I have spare glass, door shells, some interior door panels and pillar/quarter trim panels, front and rear bumpers and facia, tail lamp assemblies, harness sections, headlamp assemblies,  couple of trunk lids, lots of oddball stuff. Have lots of modules and decent supply of spare emblems (hood, door, horn button). I have 88-90 style center caps (some decent, some rough) and going forward will probably have some 88-90 brake leads to sell as I get time to repair them properly. Also have seat control, headlamp and washer (88/89 style) switches. Have some spare coupe door weather stripping and steering columns as well.

I'm not giving stuff away, but will sell at a fair price based on condition and rarity of a part. As Dave pointed out, the price is often dictated by how hard it is to find another and whether I'd prefer to keep a part for my own future needs - having 4 cars inintend to keep - rather than sell it. 

I can also make ECM proms if needed,  and have been known to help out with BCM PROM issues (odometer errors and such) but I try not to advertise that so much as I fear it invites potential fraud. If someone is in a jam, we can talk. The worst I can do is decline to get involved if I think something funny is going on. 

Being in a somewhat unqiue position of having both a large stash of parts and extensive knowledge of these cars, I'll do what I can if someone contacts me.

KDirk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1